Ilya Kovalchuk In Russia For Lockout: Coming (back) To America!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OOOOIIIO

Binary
Jul 25, 2010
Nashua, NH
"I want to stay in St. Petersburg but I have contractual obligations in the NHL, which will be hard to break" - Kovalchuk to Sport-Express

Aka - I enjoyed my time here and would love to stay, but I am leaving.

Good seeing a Rangers fan coming here to post that...

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
Slava Malamud ‏@SlavaMalamud

Kovalchuk added that he will talk with SKA leadership and "hopefully, everything will be decided then"

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Aka - I enjoyed my time here and would love to stay, but I am leaving.

Good seeing a Rangers fan coming here to post that...

I love Kovy as a talent, one of my favorite players in the NHL...

However, I took away something completely different from that quote. It basically means, I want to stay in Russia, but my NHL contractual obligations are forcing me to leave and play back in the NHL.

Are you happy with having a player that technically would rather be somewhere else?

AZNDevil

Yay band.
Jul 30, 2010
Tennessee

However, I took away something completely different from that quote. It basically means, I want to stay in Russia, but my NHL contractual obligations are forcing me to leave and play back in the NHL.

Are you happy with having a player that technically would rather be somewhere else?

We already had that happen with Parise last season apparently.

OOOOIIIO

Binary
Jul 25, 2010
Nashua, NH

What is he going to say? "Hell no, screw Russia Im going back to the NHL"?

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
This has become a real cluster****. I don't know what to believe with mis-translated quotes, no response from management/agent, and other things lost in translation.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ

I'm betting Lundqvist would technically rather play in his home country but money and contracts have him in the USA.. Who wouldn't want to still make a fortune and play at home in front of their countryman

I'll reserve judgement until he comes back and has a chance to talk to our media about all this

OOOOIIIO

Binary
Jul 25, 2010
Nashua, NH
People freaking out about nothing... This guy already destroyed the translation the last time Kovy talked, then went to twitter with cherry picked quotes to make it sound like he was staying.

I find it funny people are looking into meaning of quotes that are being translated.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
What is he going to say? "Hell no, screw Russia Im going back to the NHL"?

Of course not, but you can simply state that the reason for leaving is contractual obligations in the NHL, not the whole "I want to stay in St. Petersburg" part...

Look, its all a business at the end of the day...but you have to respect players that really want to play for your team, and in this day (across all sports) its a very rare thing now. Sadly...

Henry Killinger

Sep 25, 2006
Roanoke, VA
Would you tell your own countrymen, who worship you as a hero, that you are excited to get out of the country and go play in another league?
He is as loyal as he can be. To both sides.
He will play in the ASG, and he will be back in North America.

Juneemoon

Oct 29, 2003
Visit site
This Malamud character likes stirring the pot.

He's a "cherry picker" ...taking enough out of a story to make it sound like he wants it to. Here's the next questions Kovalchuk was asked and his answer:

- As the "New Jersey" refers to the fact that you're still a player this week SKA?
- While there is no official announcement about the end of the lockout, they can not produce. The signing of the agreement will most likely on Sunday. There are no rules I'm not breaking. I was with the team on a trip and could not leave the kids in the big games, like Kazan and Ufa.
-

Who would you leave out of the SKA his captain's armband?
- A lot of the leaders in our team. Coaching staff and general manager of the issue necessarily decided. I think that will be the captain Dmitri Kalinin, who was a captain prior to my arrival.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Would you tell your own countrymen, who worship you as a hero, that you are excited to get out of the country and go play in another league?

That is also what I believe. But these quotes are getting me kind of worried.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
For what it's worth, here's another source with those same quotes

Igor Eronko ‏@IgorEronko
Ilya Kovalchuk told Sport-express.ru: 'There's nothing wrong with me playing for #SKA until lockout is officially over'

Igor Eronko ‏@IgorEronko
More Kovalchuk: I'd like to stay in #KHL but my contract with #Devils is too big and too long therefore it'd be quite difficult to break

OOOOIIIO

Binary
Jul 25, 2010
Nashua, NH

Amen brother. If anything I am more confident that he will be back and everything will be normal post ASG. Doesnt want to disrespect the team that took him in during the lockout and the fans that support it.

For what it's worth, here's another source with those same quotes

Igor Eronko ‏@IgorEronko
Ilya Kovalchuk told Sport-express.ru: 'There's nothing wrong with me playing for #SKA until lockout is officially over'

Igor Eronko ‏@IgorEronko
More Kovalchuk: I'd like to stay in #KHL but my contract with #Devils is too big and too long therefore it'd be quite difficult to break

Exactly, depending on who translates it, totally different meaning. Sorry that I wont believe the man who already botched the tweets last time. Igor has not done that, more inclined to believe him.

Dec 10, 2008
NoDak now NYC area

Meh. Are you happy having a goalie who can't win a cup?

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
i hope NOBDY follows this tool on twitter. malamud is clearly trying to gain followers by muddying the waters as much as he can. what a dbag. i guess if you have a smartphone, you can be a journalist

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
He's a "cherry picker" ...taking enough out of a story to make it sound like he wants it to. Here's the next questions Kovalchuk was asked and his answer:

- As the "New Jersey" refers to the fact that you're still a player this week SKA?
- While there is no official announcement about the end of the lockout, they can not produce. The signing of the agreement will most likely on Sunday. There are no rules I'm not breaking. I was with the team on a trip and could not leave the kids in the big games, like Kazan and Ufa.
-

Who would you leave out of the SKA his captain's armband?
- A lot of the leaders in our team. Coaching staff and general manager of the issue necessarily decided. I think that will be the captain Dmitri Kalinin, who was a captain prior to my arrival.
Yea, wtf is wrong with this Slava?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad