Ilya Kovalchuk In Russia For Lockout: Coming (back) To America!

Status
Not open for further replies.

StvBroDan

vPLAY WITH HEARTv
Oct 15, 2008
USA
Partly, I think it's a cultural thing. Americans are taught to say the things making people feel good and all, Russians don't really play that game. I mean in general, without wanting to generalize.

This^^^^ When was the last time you saw Kovy fired up. After a hard game win interview on the ice. Locker room interview its just answering questions no big expression or excitement. NO BIG DEAL

I work with a Russian women who's answers are very short and to the point. Nicest person in the world, but you never expect her to act excited.

Just Win

Nov 3, 2008
Stuttgart
It also has a lower talent level.

Why does an elite talent like Kovalchuk score at a similar pace in the NHL and the KHL? Shouldn't he score at a much higher pace in such a low talent roller hockey league? See, i am not even arguing the KHL is close to the NHL but you are making the 2nd best league in the world sound like total trash. And i doubt you have even watched a single full game.

apice3*

Why does an elite talent like Kovalchuk score at a similar pace in the NHL and the KHL? Shouldn't he score at a much higher pace in such a low talent roller hockey league? See, i am not even arguing the KHL is close to the NHL but you are making the 2nd best league in the world sound like total trash. And i doubt you have even watched a single full game.

It's trash in comparison to the NHL.

His scoring pace is similar because he doesn't have elite teammates to play with.

I watched a few KHL games at the beginning of the lockout. I couldn't watch it. It's the second best league, no doubt about it, but it's still an inferior product.

Getzo5

The Punisher
Feb 13, 2010
Presov, SVK
In before the usual "because he doesn`t care as much, why should he anyway? it`s playing against a lesser competition after all" argument.

EDIT: oh yeah, that`s a possibility too. :sarcasm:

Just Win

Nov 3, 2008
Stuttgart
His scoring pace is similar because he doesn't have elite teammates to play with.

In that case Kovalchuk should score more goals because it's a roller hockey league with no defense but less assists because of the lesser talented teammates. But both his KHL goal/game average and his assists/game average are similar to his NHL numbers.

apice3*

In that case Kovalchuk should score more goals because it's a roller hockey league with no defense but less assists because of the lesser talented teammates. But both his KHL goal/game average and his assists/game average are similar to his NHL numbers.

I still have no idea where you're going with this.

The KHL is nowhere close to the level the NHL is at, especially defensively and Kovy was one of the three best players there along with Malkin and Ovi. WHat are you trying to argue here?

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
I are you guys really talking about why his stats weren't amazing when you are looking at a 30 game sample size?

filatov178

Jan 8, 2013
St. Petrsburg

In Russia a lot of great players. Almost like Kovalchuk. There's also a lot of young talent. And they do not really want to go to the NHL.:sarcasm:

filatov178

Jan 8, 2013
St. Petrsburg
I still have no idea where you're going with this.

The KHL is nowhere close to the level the NHL is at, especially defensively and Kovy was one of the three best players there along with Malkin and Ovi. WHat are you trying to argue here?

So Malkin, Ovechkin and Kovalchuk in the NHL is the best players.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
So Malkin, Ovechkin and Kovalchuk in the NHL is the best players.

This is partially because they are the best players. Russian players self-select so that only the best of the best are represented in North America. You rarely see grinder type players coming to the NHL, they generally stay in Russia. Brylin was a notable exception to this.

filatov178

Jan 8, 2013
St. Petrsburg
This is partially because they are the best players. Russian players self-select so that only the best of the best are represented in North America. You rarely see grinder type players coming to the NHL, they generally stay in Russia. Brylin was a notable exception to this.

Yes. I rarely watch NHL games. But during the lockout came to us not only these three players. The other players of the NHL did not play the best players from the KHL. So the level of play, I think, a little different. Super stars in hockey is not much. Pavel Datsyuk fourth superstar.

Last edited:

holikwillfindyou

Jan 19, 2010
booville
Yes. I rarely watch NHL games. But during the lockout came to us not only these three players. The other players of the NHL did not play the best players from the KHL. So the level of play, I think, a little different. Super stars in hockey is not much. Pavel Datsyuk fourth superstar.

as a russian that has grown up in America i understand where you're coming from. the NHL is the most elite league in the world, and its a ****ing grudge match every game. as much as i would love the KHL to succeed and prosper...it wont without the kovys and ovechkins of the nhl. until then the khl will hurt. and hurt bad.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I can't recall any time he ever said anything bad about the Devils.

I hope he's cheered tomorrow in the intros or when he first skates on to the ice

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
This thread has nothing to do with him leaving or coming back this time, stop necrobumping dead threads. There’ll be a game thread tomorrow, obsess about him there.

Reactions: Bleedred
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad