News Article: Iiro Pakarinen about his time as an Oiler, journalist relates to Puljujärvi (Finnish media)

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Didn’t Hall also say he didn’t listen to any of the Edmonton coaches?

Having said that, remember Krueger? He went out of his way to try to understand his players. I thought that was great.

Todd is a my way or the highway type of guy and that’s not good for prospects coming into the line up. They can’t figure out what they need to do to be better.
I have heard from others in the org this is the way it is as well. McLellan doesn't even debrief after games. Usually gets an assistant to do it.

They play roles of CEO's, delegate. Everything

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
I have heard from others in the org this is the way it is as well. McLellan doesn't even debrief after games. Usually gets an assistant to do it.

If the head coach is too busy to regularly talk to players, then he is too busy with the wrong things.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
If there is any truth to his story I feel incredibly bad for all the Oilers players. I had somehow imagined that professional hockey management was much better than management I experienced in every other industry I have experienced.

In my experience, management is always mysterious and completely out of touch with reality on who does what and how effective they are at doing so. My experience has typically been how good you are at your job has nothing to do with your rewards. I've literally gotten my best raises and highest praise on years I've done my worst work. Even more disheartening, years where I had great years "professionally" were years I got my worst raises and least acknowledgment.

In short. The vast majority of management is incredibly clueless and success that I have seen comes more out of circumstance than actual management.

If the Oilers can't even communicate the areas a player is succeeding in or failing at they are almost assuredly just doing "management" things behind the scenes and just hoping for the best.

Someone unable to clearly defined thier success or failures is a sham just flying by the seat of thier pants and using thier position of authority to hide the fact they are hopelessly lost.

Remember all the times eakins would say he would take the time to talk to players, to spend as much time with them as possible and have constant communication. Moment he said that I knew it was a lie. Several players reported back that the Eakins dialogs didn't happen. He either learned he didn't have the time or was advised against it.

Fans are expected to pay huge money to see pro sports and we're throwing a *team* out on the ice in which communication, script, planning, dialog, is not even occurring. "Its hey guys, work hard out there", team bangs sticks..

I would expect better communication from Bantam coaches.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
We've heard this from a few players now. So I think we can say there is some truth in it.

Todd probably communicates with the team to be honest but I dont think he goes out of his way for more of the fringe/depth type players. I think its why he really struggles to get much out of the depth players on his roster. I dont think the majority players on the team know their role.

Even if this type of thing is the general norm in NHL, as posted above, its a seriously flawed approach in my opinion.

Reactions: Aerrol

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Yep.

I'm never sure where the opinion that McLellan is a players coach ever got started. he was the one that rolled on Thornton and Marleau after the GM got involved in calling out the Star Sharks players. McLellan sided with management to try to save his job. Every NHLPA rep would know that. Hell, most fans know that.

McLellan actually strikes me as a grumpy coach that typically says very little, always has his handful of favorites and everybody else doesn't even exist. Never struck me as a hard worker either. Law of least effort is in everything he does. He doesn't even match lines typically, never calls out refs. He's about as figurehead a coach as they come. I've often joked we could have a cardboard cutout of him on the bench and not know the difference.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
For those questioning all the smoke - it's unrealistic to consider there's no fire.

This is an organization that fired a head coach over Skype.

Yep.

That's pretty relevant to bring up. It screams lack of due diligence in org culture.

Lack of respect as well.

There are some douche places to work. Probably most people have experienced something like that. But shouldn't be the case in Billion buck orgs.

The astounding thing is we have key assets, in players, who are worth Millions, and the coaching staff that are essentially disposable can't be bothered to speak with them.

I will say something though. Theres a certain amount of douchebaggery also among pro athletes (and as evidenced in Ottawa) where you could see where a reluctance to be too involved with players might come from. I don't think we have that player attitudinal problem here, but you never know.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Never liked Todd but has there ever been any failed european that has not been salty after going back.

Reading this article i was actually quite surprised as I went in thinking - great, another 4th line plugged criticizing the org after leaving.

But I found his take refreshing as I don't think he's dogging the org at all, just portaying his confused feelings.

My experience with the hierarchy of coaching is that the asst's are a bridge for the players to the head coach. Many times the head coach does not convey or communicate what will happen next or why. As someone else pointed out, it distances him from bias over personal choices and hard decisions.

However, the asst coaches or SOMEONE in the org absolutely needs to be communicating with alk players at all times.

But in not sure about either stance. Perhaps the truth lies somewhere in between. How many TV shots have we seen over the years with Woodcroft leaning over to talk to a player at the bench?

Reactions: RattsSSV

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Funny all this outrage. Scotty Bowman followed the exact same tact. As does every coach in the NHL by and large.
Team doesn't have enough talent. Figure it out. Its not tough.
And oh, maybe watch JP. Hes garbage and has no clue. Thats hardly on TMac.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Reading this article i was actually quite surprised as I went in thinking - great, another 4th line plugged criticizing the org after leaving.

But I found his take refreshing as I don't think he's dogging the org at all, just portaying his confused feelings.

My experience with the hierarchy of coaching is that the asst's are a bridge for the players to the head coach. Many times the head coach does not convey or communicate what will happen next or why. As someone else pointed out, it distances him from bias over personal choices and hard decisions.

However, the asst coaches or SOMEONE in the org absolutely needs to be communicating with alk players at all times.

But in not sure about either stance. Perhaps the truth lies somewhere in between. How many TV shots have we seen over the years with Woodcroft leaning over to talk to a player at the bench?

What got to me was there was too much content for it to be a puff piece like "org sucks". The player, as others have, is citing specific things. As a fan I actually appreciate that because it would be easy for players to simply not care, and not say anything. Indeed the rare amounts we ever hear about this org due to its insular nature, and hands off media, is when either deposed players, or opponent players and coaches are talking about it. The latter have pretty much all sounded off whether that be a manager like Burke or a player like Souray. ha, Sheldon was one of the few to have big balls to sound off while he was here. He gets every respect from me for doing that.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

I wonder if this is why the assistants were let go. I have too often heard that the assistants are the ones talking to the players about this and not the head coach.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
What got to me was there was too much content for it to be a puff piece like "org sucks". The player, as others have, is citing specific things. As a fan I actually appreciate that because it would be easy for players to simply not care, and not say anything. Indeed the rare amounts we ever hear about this org due to its insular nature, and hands off media, is when either deposed players, or opponent players and coaches are talking about it. The latter have pretty much all sounded off whether that be a manager like Burke or a player like Souray. ha, Sheldon was one of the few to have big balls to sound off while he was here. He gets every respect from me for doing that.

Exactly!!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Funny all this outrage. Scotty Bowman followed the exact same tact. As does every coach in the NHL by and large.

But Scotty Bowman was a noted disciplinarian and perfectionist running a tight ship. He expected the most, and got it. But he was never coach of a struggling team that needed feedback. He was invariably the coach of teams with a ton of go to vets that could, and would help the players. Nor was Bowman the only way to go. Fred Shero was famous for talking at length to his players and everybody got to know him. He was the kind of coach to have several players over for sunday dinner. He was the kind of coach that would have rookies room up in his house if they had nowhere to go.

Reactions: nabob

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I wanted Babcock when he was available but was still extremely happy we got McLellan.

It's easy to blame and hate. I don't have enough knowledge or experience to say "he sucks and should be fired". But I will anyways because what little I do know is telling me he needs to go asap.

He came in. Taught structure to the most structureless group of players in the nhl. Major props for that. Now we need a coach that can simply get more out of thier players period.

The nhl is currently so different than it was two years ago. I think a big part of the coaching issues stems from being unable to adjust to the "new nhl". McLellan certainly seems like a coach unable or unwilling to adjust to anything. Seems very stubborn.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I wanted Babcock when he was available but was still extremely happy we got McLellan.

It's easy to blame and hate. I don't have enough knowledge or experience to say "he sucks and should be fired". But I will anyways because what little I do know is telling me he needs to go asap.

He came in. Taught structure to the most structureless group of players in the nhl. Major props for that. Now we need a coach that can simply get more out of thier players period.

The nhl is currently so different than it was two years ago. I think a big part of the coaching issues stems from being unable to adjust to the "new nhl". McLellan certainly seems like a coach unable or unwilling to adjust to anything. Seems very stubborn.

Because I'm older I'll add that theres often also a best before date. People can laugh at this if they want, and I don't care, but I'm past best used date and so is McLellan. For some of us most of our steam ran out and theres not as much left in the tank. As we get older more of our energy involves quality of life, and less concern about working hard. just being honest

In music its generally considered that an artists best work is pre 40. Anything after that doesn't compare.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
This screams the Chia regime of liking vets and disregarding developing talent.
Mclellan had this same reputation in San Jose too. One of their fanbases biggest complaints about him was that he’d stick with or overplay his vets over young players. What it says is he has no interest in teaching. I find this assessment of him just as damning as a coach as I did when Eakins publicly stated his players didn’t know how to play defense and that was why his systems weren’t working. If that’s the case then teach them. That’s what you were hired to do.

We’ve had a large sample size of what Mclellan is as a coach going back to early in his Sharks days. He needs a roster of high level players playing very well to have any kind of success. When he doesn’t have those things his teams don’t play well. He himself doesn’t move the needle up on his teams at all.

Reactions: Aerrol and elmaco

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
It's an early Sunday morning in Edmonton so most local fans are still sleeping.

Even if we forget Pulju's case I believe another kind of a coach would be better for the Oilers as there are several young players with limited cap space for the stars, so maximizing their development would be very important. Some may figure it out by themselves at least to some extent, but some will get confused.
Very good post. Due to our cap structure we’ll have many young players trying to develop on our team over the next several teams. Being a good communicator will be a necessary skill here unless guys like McDavid, Draisatl, Nuge and Lucic can all play around thirty minutes a night every night.

Reactions: GameChanger

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
I’ve come to expect an incorrect opinion to come from you. The old “Scotty Bowman” hard-ass routine went out 20+ years ago. When players were making $300k a year and were walking on eggshells lest they be sent to Utica forever, it worked. In the salary cap era, you cannot bury your mistakes. Drafting and development is paramount and if you just want to play mind games instead of talking to this generation of players like adults, they are going to quickly tune you out. Vets will ignore you and young players will unravel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad