News Article: Iiro Pakarinen about his time as an Oiler, journalist relates to Puljujärvi (Finnish media)

The Queen of the Sea

Sep 21, 2017
Vårdö
Original source, MTV Uutiset: Jesse Puljujärven kohtelu puhututtaa – Edmontonissa viilettänyt Leijona-hyökkääjä ihmettelee tapoja: "Se on ihan käsittämätöntä"

My rough & quick translation, sorry about probable misspellings etc. The headline of this article is pure click-bait and doesn't add anything to the story so I don't care to translate it.

Finnish forward Jesse Puljujärvi has gained very little responsibility during the start of the season in the NHL. He's also been occasionally kept out of the lineup. Iiro Pakarinen, who played for the Oilers until last season, wonders some ways and habits of the NHL in general.

Pakarinen was on the Oilers' payroll for 4 years. Last summer he hopped over back to Europe signing with the KHL team Metallurg Magnitogorsk.

Pakarinen, currently with the Finnish National team, was especially wondering on one aspect of the NHL.

"- Over there there's no talk about why you aren't playing. At least in Oilers, that was never done. That was the most annoying thing for me."

"- The head coach never comes and explains any reason or reasons [behind his decisions]. You have to figure it out by yourself, why is it [that I'm not playing]. Altogether the head coach or GM give very few signals of any kind. There's some kind of top secret information. In my opinion, it's just absolutely inconceivable."

"- The communication should be much more open, like here in Europe. Over here it goes just well. It feels a bit like in the NHL the head coach is a big ego. Of course he comes to talk to the players sometimes, but about something completely different, never actually personally about anything related to your play. Over there nobody ever comes to say anything if you don't play. This is the most annoying thing that stuck in my mind."

Pakarinen doesn't argue that this is the case with Puljujärvi. Nevertheless, if it is, he can relate easily.

"- It was pretty much like that during the last couple of years when I was there [playing for the Oilers]."

The Oilers is one of the most peculiar mysteries in the NHL. The team has names like Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl, who are both top notch players in the league. McDavid perhaps even the biggest star. However, the team cannot seem to find a way to success.

"- During my time with Oilers we reached the Playoffs once and the feeling in the group was just amazing - we were really getting things done! I don't know if the expectations after that went a bit too high. Maybe we couldn't handle that situation as a team. During the season [ending in the Playoffs] nobody expected anything from us. Back then everything we achieved was something extra."

Last season the team plummeted badly, and that was also Pakarinen's last season with the organisation.

"- It felt somehow like we had a bit too much pressure."

"- Many ask about what is it about Oilers - why things aren't going for the better? It's difficult to find any single reason for that."

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
While I wouldn't disagree with his coaches having big egos, the way I understand it thats pretty much the norm around the league.
I read Sean Prongers book and if I recall correctly sometimes the head coach isn't even the one to break it to the player, I think it's the assistants job, and even still, isn't really followed with an explanation.

As for the player not knowing why, I'm not sure completely buy that. I've heard quite a few times that 'the players know' who deserves to play and who doesn't.
Especially a player like Pakarinen who never put up any offensive stats, figure it out.

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
While I wouldn't disagree with his coaches having big egos, the way I understand it thats pretty much the norm around the league.
I read Sean Prongers book and if I recall correctly sometimes the head coach isn't even the one to break it to the player, I think it's the assistants job, and even still, isn't really followed with an explanation.

As for the player not knowing why, I'm not sure completely buy that. I've heard quite a few times that 'the players know' who deserves to play and who doesn't.
Especially a player like Pakarinen who never put up any offensive stats, figure it out.

If a head coach does not communicate he had better be one hell of a tactician.

One of the reasons I really like Todd Nelson was that the players always said they knew exactly where they stood with him and what he expected. He also seemed to have a strong sense of what made each player tick. I don't think it is a coincidence that so many player seemed to play so well for him.

elmaco

Feb 1, 2017
McLellan certainly doesn't seem like a players coach (Paul Maurice for example), the results don't match his ego and that makes him look like a stupid diva.

PS. fire these clowns, that's some amateur level coaching right there, what the hell do you do if not coach and talk to your players stupid shit mclellan

Last edited:

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
I find it so weird many are just ignoring this article, it is essentially stating that McLellan isn't up to his task at all. If you dont talk to your players how the f*** are you expected to become a better team

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I find it so weird many are just ignoring this article, it is essentially stating that McLellan isn't up to his task at all. If you dont talk to your players how the **** are you expected to become a better team

It's an early Sunday morning in Edmonton so most local fans are still sleeping.

Even if we forget Pulju's case I believe another kind of a coach would be better for the Oilers as there are several young players with limited cap space for the stars, so maximizing their development would be very important. Some may figure it out by themselves at least to some extent, but some will get confused.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Whether it's the norm around the league or not, it's a seriously flawed approach. Maybe it's effective for North American players, but as Pakarinen points out, it clearly doesn't work well with the European players. If you want to take a "my way or the hiway" approach, maybe stick to drafting NA kids and don't spend a top 5 pick on a kid from Finland or Russia.

If Pulju busts, it's time to start pointing fingers at the organization a bit. That would be 2 top 5 picks ruined in a 5 year span. Not to mention other Euros that showed promise (I know Slepy fizzled out, but how much can be attributed to early last season when he'd look good and still only play 8 minutes).

Just don't try and have it both ways - change your approach to coaching/mentoring, or change your targets drafting.

oilersrule14

May 13, 2003
Visit site
The NHL isn't a development league. Guys like Pakarainen sit because they aren't good enough. Why would the coach waste their time telling a player sorry the other guys are better. Obviously, there are some young players in the league still developing, and those players most likely get more communication. Puljujarvi spent some of the time in his games off watching the game with Viveiros for example.

Reactions: Cypress

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Another example of not having a key skill: the ability to work with young people. This T Mac guy looks and sounds like something from the 1950’s. It’s time for a change.

The club has 3 legitimate top six forwards who don’t need much coaching but everybody else requires the skills of a good coach to bring out the best in them. You won’t get it from this dude.

Reactions: Aerrol

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
These articles and interviews with former fringe players I always take with a grain of salt. It's sort of like hearing beer league players who say they would have made the show but their coaches didn't give them a chance along with a healthy dose of sour grapes.

Reactions: Shathar and Cypress

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Weird, the management group not communicating with the players? I can't believe the oilers would do something like that... Again, and again, and again.

How can you work on your game if you aren't told what to work on? I know Pak was only a fourth liner, but that shouldn't mean you don't communicate with him about how he can stay in the lineup.

This organization is so stucks in the old days. The fact that the management group that basically shrugged off PoS' mental issues when he came to them for help, is still involved with this club shows just how much we value our players.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I just said the other day that I hope somebody is explaining things to Puljujarvi about why he's continually scratched, benched, not in the lineup, and now headed again to Bakersfield. I expected it wasn't the case, that the player would barely know why they weren't even give more than a 2 game chance even playing topsix this season.

People need to remember Iro was scratched 40 times last year on a club where we had several other vets doing nothing and not even trying. We had Lucic, Kass, never scratched. We had fill players that were ineffective. We had efforts that were poor. Pak would at least give you a few hits a game, play solid on pk, EV, and rarely get scored against. The guy had a shot too, but rarely was used in situation to be able to use it. The Oilers often put Letestu in plum PP roles to get his shot and one timer off. That's how desperate we were for one timers. But never Pak. Despite him showing the team lots in practice that he could blister a shot. Even at the point he should have occasionally been given that opportunity. We have no shots from the point. We didn't even try that with Pak. The guy could hammer the puck. Anybody that goes to any practices knows that.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
These articles and interviews with former fringe players I always take with a grain of salt. It's sort of like hearing beer league players who say they would have made the show but their coaches didn't give them a chance along with a healthy dose of sour grapes.

I would generally buy that if Hall didn't say pretty much say the same thing saying that Hinds gave him the open communication that he wasn't receiving in Edmonton.

Now, one can say that Hall was also bitter but when it's a pattern of several players saying the same exact thing, it's something to take seriously. Same with the Eakins era when a bunch of ex-players had gripes with his methods.

If there's any truth to this in reference to Pulju, I think it's deplorable that they didn't have any open communication with a kid from a remote part of Finland that needed guidance so desperately. I get upset just thinking about it.

Last edited:

Check

Jan 7, 2014
with polar bears
The NHL isn't a development league. Guys like Pakarainen sit because they aren't good enough. Why would the coach waste their time telling a player sorry the other guys are better. Obviously, there are some young players in the league still developing, and those players most likely get more communication. Puljujarvi spent some of the time in his games off watching the game with Viveiros for example.

Isn't that pretty much a waste of human resources? The very essence of any professional organization is developing the hell out of the talent they have, and the only way to do it is through communication. Every single vet still wants to keep developing their game, regardless of skill level. Weird comment. o_O

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
It's not really just Todd or NHL coaches.. it's everyone in NA hockey
Call it ego if you want but NA coaches even at midget level create a disconnect so it becomes easier when it's time to make tough decisions with your fringe players.
You can have a closer relationship with core players because you wont have to sit them out.
I. Guess in Europe it is different.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
This is pretty damning of the coach. Even if a player is mature and not likely to develop further, it is still paramount to treat the player like an ADULT and tell him what is going on. Bad managers in business keep their employees in the dark about what is expected of them. I suspect jackasses like TMac think its a “power move” when in reality it just deflates people. If you dont know what to fix, giving up eventually becomes inevitable. It bad for a vet and for a young and gifted, but immature, player like Jesse it can be ruinous.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I would generally buy that if Hall didn't say pretty much say the same thing saying that Hinds gave him the open communication that he wasn't receiving in Edmonton.

Now, one can say that Hall was also bitter but when it's a pattern of several players saying the same exact thing, it's something to take seriously. Same with the Eakins era when a bunch of ex-players had gripes with his methods.

If there's any truth to this, I think it's deplorable that they didn't have any open communication with a kid from a remote part of Finland that needed guidance so desperately. I get upset just thinking about it.

Enough players have said it, that you gotta think it has legs. All of Hall, Auvitu, Slepy, Pac, Yak, Aberg, Pulju have made comments like this. Even Brodz and Kass this year have got strange or no messages.

This is even an org that outed communication to Craig Simpson, that was seemingly indirectly meant to inform Puljujarvi what he was doing. So that the player was not getting the quality of direct comments and exchange and instead the ignominy of hearing their play outed in the news by a connected Simpson.

Its how this org rolls, and its deplorable. These are people you wouldn't want to work for, but the money is good.

Last edited:

North

Jun 25, 2009

If there's any truth to this in reference to Pulju, I think it's deplorable that they didn't have any open communication with a kid from a remote part of Finland that needed guidance so desperately. I get upset just thinking about it.

Didn’t Hall also say he didn’t listen to any of the Edmonton coaches?

Having said that, remember Krueger? He went out of his way to try to understand his players. I thought that was great.

Todd is a my way or the highway type of guy and that’s not good for prospects coming into the line up. They can’t figure out what they need to do to be better.

Reactions: 63 others

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
If there is any truth to his story I feel incredibly bad for all the Oilers players. I had somehow imagined that professional hockey management was much better than management I experienced in every other industry I have experienced.

In my experience, management is always mysterious and completely out of touch with reality on who does what and how effective they are at doing so. My experience has typically been how good you are at your job has nothing to do with your rewards. I've literally gotten my best raises and highest praise on years I've done my worst work. Even more disheartening, years where I had great years "professionally" were years I got my worst raises and least acknowledgment.

In short. The vast majority of management is incredibly clueless and success that I have seen comes more out of circumstance than actual management.

If the Oilers can't even communicate the areas a player is succeeding in or failing at they are almost assuredly just doing "management" things behind the scenes and just hoping for the best.

Someone unable to clearly defined thier success or failures is a sham just flying by the seat of thier pants and using thier position of authority to hide the fact they are hopelessly lost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad