Speculation: III. 2014 Stars Offseason Thread: Miniature American Flags for Others

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I feel like I missed the boat on this because it seems to be the consensus, but what is it that makes Morin not an NHL option?

Maybe he's the exception not the rule ... but he's 30 years old and done nothing of note in the NHL to this point, and he's been with a non-playoff NHL team that had talent issues.

I tend to believe if he had NHL upside ... he likely would have shown it by now.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
And BOOM goes the dynamite:

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger

Hearing Kesler to Anaheim is done. Awaiting details..

EDIT:

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun

Kesler trade to Anaheim is very close, source says

EDIT 2 ... 5 minutes before these 2, but I just sort of overlooked it:

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC

ANA and VAN working hard at Kesler deal...trying to get it done

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
The fact that he's not an NHL caliber player except on an injury ravaged team.

Again, maybe I am late to the party, but he scored gobs of points in the AHL. Is it a case of him not being good enough to be a top 6 guy and also not having bottom 6 skills? Pretend I need it to be explained at slightly more length.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
This would take one major player out of Spezza running.

STL could step up here with all their picks. Apparently no one has offered a 1st yet for Spezza which is funny.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
More details ....

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC

Sounds like two players and a pick to VAN if this closes...

I'm guessing Palmieri and Vatanen ... sounds a bit much though ...

bug

Jun 27, 2012
Shockingly low value for Kesler, should help temper the value of Spezza I would hope. Seems like Chiasson + 14 is a pretty good offer now.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Bonino is a guy I like, but they didn't give a single one of their best young players.

This makes me a bit more optimistic about Spezza's cost. Still don't want the contract he'd likely command though.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Again, maybe I am late to the party, but he scored gobs of points in the AHL. Is it a case of him not being good enough to be a top 6 guy and also not having bottom 6 skills? Pretend I need it to be explained at slightly more length.

Yes, he's not good enough for a top 6 NHL role and he doesn't have the skill set to be a useful bottom 6 player. In baseball terms he looks like a AAAA player, a guy at the top of his top minor league but not good enough to be a difference maker of any sort in the major leagues.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
That's what I was thinking:

Mark Lazerus ‏@MarkLazerus

So Kesler is off the board. Spezza costs $7M next year, Stastny will cost even more. With a low cap, #Blackhawks could be out of luck.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Huge news ... reports today already had the cap at $68

John Shannon ‏@JSportsnet

Hearing players may not invoke escalator into salary cap equation...cap could be well below 70 million....68?

People thought for sure the players would use escalator ... they even talked about potentially adding in the TV revenue now to help the cap ... that might no happen.

Wow.

NukeJukes43

STL has a better piece to offer than Chiasson in Berglund.

The tealeaves suggest St. Louis going after Statsny. I don't think Murray was very high on STL offers so those conversations probably went dry. I think Dallas is the frontrunner for Spezza as it stands.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Huge news ... reports today already had the cap at $68

People thought for sure the players would use escalator ... they even talked about potentially adding in the TV revenue now to help the cap ... that might no happen.

Wow.

That's pretty awesome. Some teams seemed to be banking on that >70m salary cap and were already having problems. Good luck Bawston.

NukeJukes43

Based on what?

Well when reports come out saying you're one of the teams who's been kicking the tires on this since it was released that Spezza is likely to be dealt, all you have to do is pay attention to the other teams.

ANA just got Kesler and they were the only team that I thought had a better chance at getting Spezza than Dallas TBH. I don't think you guys give our talent pool enough credit, teams looking to rebuild are going to want the young pieces we have, and I'm sure Ottawa has noticed our recent success, as well as Spezza.

The Nucks didn't get near as good of a return as all the people on the trade board suggested. It's really not going to be as steep as you think for Spezza. Murray knows it would be a worse move to keep Spezza hanging on by a thread in the middle of a season. He'll take the offer he thinks is best and I think Nill can throw a fair one at him.

TrillMike

Feb 21, 2012
Dallas, TX
I'm at work and don't have time to talk trades yet. Just wanted to throw my opinion out there before anything happens.

I have no interest in sending Ottawa a package for Spezza.

Can't wait for tonight guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad