Speculation: III. 2014 Stars Offseason Thread: Miniature American Flags for Others

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Well when reports come out saying you're one of the teams who's been kicking the tires on this since it was released that Spezza is likely to be dealt, all you have to do is pay attention to the other teams.

ANA just got Kesler and they were the only team that I thought had a better chance at getting Spezza than Dallas TBH. I don't think you guys give our talent pool enough credit, teams looking to rebuild are going to want the young pieces we have, and I'm sure Ottawa has noticed our recent success, as well as Spezza.

The Nucks didn't get near as good of a return as all the people on the trade board suggested. It's really not going to be as steep as you think for Spezza. Murray knows it would be a worse move to keep Spezza hanging on by a thread in the middle of a season. He'll take the offer he thinks is best and I think Nill can throw a fair one at him.

Your point about the price is a good one, as long as the teams who missed out don't get desperate when bidding for Spezza.

NukeJukes43

Your point about the price is a good one, as long as the teams who missed out don't get desperate when bidding for Spezza.

Which was the first footnote I wanted to throw in my post, but after giving it some thought, there just really isn't enough money going around for some of these teams to do that. Atleast the ones that I've seen in the race for him.

Unless Murray gets fleeced and the team that does it has the room to even sign Spezza, it's a good shot he ends in Dallas.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Every time someone tries to pay the farm for Thornton ... I'm going to post this:

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle

That does not look like a whole lot of return for Kesler. Shows how much no-trade clauses can give player the power.

NukeJukes43

I don't want people to get the impression I'm trying to act like I know what's going on or have an inside source.... Just following the breadcrumbs and making educated guesses based on what we know.

Henderson33

Jun 4, 2012
Nova Scotia
Wow, did not expect this if true. I know he struggled but I didn't realize it was that bad.

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 2m
Told the Coyotes are strongly considering buying out Mike Ribeiro. The veteran forward is under contract through 2016-2017. Not official.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Pretty Shocking:

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger

Told the Coyotes are strongly considering buying out Mike Ribeiro. The veteran forward is under contract through 2016-2017. Not official.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Coyotes might buy out Riberio, we should totally re-sign him :sarcasm:

But yeah, that return on Kesler is pretty much theft.

My guesses are that Statsny stays in Colorado, someone in the east gets Thorton, and Spezza stays.

Watch me be so off on every single one of those.

bug

Jun 27, 2012
Shouldn't Spezza's trade return be fairly similar? Limited teams, only 1 year left on the contract

Klockis

Suter stan
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
Shouldn't Spezza's trade return be fairly similar? Limited teams, only 1 year left on the contract

Well Nick Bonino and a first is quite good return + Sbisa. So, Chiasson + 14/2nd rounder (plus) + K-Conn? I dunno feels like a bit much.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
I am going to be on my own island here but I think Vancouver got the better end of the deal. Kessler is on downturn of his career and did not play better than Bonino at all. Undoubtably Kesler could regain his form from 4 (!) seasons ago, but there's a large risk in him not.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007

Yes and no ... most teams don't have extra, young roster players laying around.

Connauton isn't as valuable as Sbisa, and I'd personally say Chiasson has more value than Bonino.

Based on Kesler's return, I'd say one of the Austin guys and Connauton could get it done, but our 1st is also more valuable. Maybe just one piece and 1st. Spezza has less term which is another big hit.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Our 1st is worth more than the 24th, and Spezza is only signed for 1 year instead of 2 for Kesler.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I am going to be on my own island here but I think Vancouver got the better end of the deal. Kessler is on downturn of his career and did not play better than Bonino at all. Undoubtably Kesler could regain his form from 4 (!) seasons ago, but there's a large risk in him not.

I'm no Kesler fan, but I'm more shocked by what McKenzie was saying. He was the one throwing out names like Stepan out of NY .... Kadri out of Toronto. He's not just guessing. I'm assuming that's what Vancouver legitimately thought they'd get.

Their empty threat of not keeping him is pretty cute now ... same for Ottawa.

I don't think Vancouver's return is bad at all like you're saying ... it's just very few others believed that. Kind of funny to see now.

NukeJukes43

That's not something substantial enough to say that we are the front runners.

Lol so are you just going to pick individual sentences from my answer to use as the answer itself?

Re-read the post please. Also there really isn't a need to be digging into skepticism on me. I simply stated this was my opinion because all of the reports of teams who were in on Spezza seem to be going different directions.
ANA trades for Kesler

STL signs Berglund to an extension probably in hopes of signing Statsny.

The statement on the cap today? Chicago is probably out.

Arizona? Idk. That's.....yeah idk.

Dallas? You fill in the blanks, man. We've been the quietest about this whole thing yet all of us who have a good idea of what's going on internally know we can deal some expendable yet semi-valuable pieces, in order to solidify our top 6 without sweating.

Let me have my fun dammit.

Klockis

Suter stan
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
Lol so are you just going to pick individual sentences from my answer to use as the answer itself?

Re-read the post please. Also there really isn't a need to be digging into skepticism on me. I simply stated this was my opinion because all of the reports of teams who were in on Spezza seem to be going different directions.
ANA trades for Kesler

STL signs Berglund to an extension probably in hopes of signing Statsny.

The statement on the cap today? Chicago is probably out.

Arizona? Idk. That's.....yeah idk.

Dallas? You fill in the blanks, man. We've been the quietest about this whole thing yet all of us who have a good idea of what's going on internally know we can deal some expendable yet semi-valuable pieces, in order to solidify our top 6 without sweating.

Let me have my fun dammit.

We don't take kindly to people getting their hopes up around here. Embrace the eternal pessimism that fills this forum and its posters.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
What I meant about extra young players was ones that would have little impact to lose. Sbisa is a pretty decent piece that virtually doesn't impact their D to lose him. He was probably already the odd man out.

Dallas doesn't have that with Connauton.

Most teams are only going to be willing to move a young guy to replace him with the better vet ... Bonino for Kesler.

That extra piece for Sbisa is a pretty decent get for Vancouver. He's still got some potential if he can stay healthy.

NukeJukes43

Kesler actually had 2 years left. Spezza should be even cheaper.

Precisely. A player is more valuable if you have that buffer year to see how they pan out before you start talking extension. If he doesn't work out in that buffer year you still have a year on his contract and can still get something out of him should you decide he doesn't fit the team.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I think the Blues are a good bet. They are tightly budgeted, but if the ownership decides to go for it, which they should IMO, they can fit Spezza in for sure. They moved a bunch of their young assets, but I still think they have enough to get it done. If Spezza wants good wingers to play with, we can't really match Tarasenko if Benn and Seguin play together.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Mark Stepneski ‏@StarsInsideEdge 2m
Jim Nill said he made offers to the Stars' 3 key restricted free agents. Heard back from only 1 so far. Expects talks to pick up in July.

Going by Capgeek: Eakin, Roussel, Dillon? Wonder who he heard back from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad