Speculation: III. 2014 Stars Offseason Thread: Miniature American Flags for Others

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I know this was discussed last summer when people thought Richards would be bought out, but what if the Stars could deal for Lecavalier on the cheap side, then sign Richards and have the two of them playing together on the second line?

Wooooooof

That's a double helping of no thank you.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I don't think he randomly threw his name out there either. That doesn't mean I think he thinks Stransky is actually a viable NHL player right now, and when I say "NHL player" that means a full timer, not just 4th down the list in case of injuries. To me, it goes without saying that he would get in a few games if we had major injury concerns. I think he mentioned Stransky for much the same reason he mentioned Morin, which is to give both hope and something to strive for over the summer, as well as possibly sway Morin away from leaving for Europe.

Dallas isn't going to add 4 Texas forwards ... then why would you not know what to make of him saying Morin because Stransky was also listed? If you assumed that he meant as potential injury depth ... that would be your answer.

Primetimey*

Not trying to be rude, but I think you guys read into who Nill lists in his interviews way way way too much. He says 5 guys are pushing for NHL jobs next season and you think he knows exactly what 5 he is talking about. He is spit-balling numbers, it could be 4 it could be 6.

When he lists Morin as having a chance at an NHL job next year.. ya right.. he is just listing top players at the AHL off the top of his head.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Dallas isn't going to add 4 Texas forwards ... then why would you not know what to make of him saying Morin because Stransky was also listed? If you assumed that he meant as potential injury depth ... that would be your answer.

I don't understand your wording here.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Not trying to be rude, but I think you guys read into who Nill lists in his interviews way way way too much. He says 5 guys are pushing for NHL jobs next season and you think he knows exactly what 5 he is talking about. He is spit-balling numbers, it could be 4 it could be 6.

When he lists Morin as having a chance at an NHL job next year.. ya right.. he is just listing top players at the AHL off the top of his head.

I don't take that as being rude, but I would say what about Nill makes you think he's just randomly naming names if he specifically stated that these players have a chance at the roster?

You either believe he's just talking to hear his head rattle or he's a thoughtful guy that says what he means. Everything I've seen from him this season would seem to indicate he chooses his words pretty wisely and I buy that if he says Morin as a shot with Dallas ... he plans on giving Morin a legitimate shot.

I just choose to believe someone else is probably going to prove to be better in a depth role. It could also mean they keep Morin in the NHL as a guy outside of the Top 12, but I'd imagine that's less likely.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I think I see what you mean. My original comment goes back to your pulling out from his interview that he views Morin or Stransky as guys pushing for 4th line spots. I'm not going to call Nill a liar (because IMO he wasn't saying quite what you're saying he means). Morin could be a possible guy for the 4th line, I will give you that. Stransky landig a 4th line spot would fly in the face of everything he has repeatedly said about being patient with guys and stressing the importance of the developmental process.

MetalGodAOD*

I know this was discussed last summer when people thought Richards would be bought out, but what if the Stars could deal for Lecavalier on the cheap side, then sign Richards and have the two of them playing together on the second line?

Both of them would likely consider it as they wanted to play together and Richards could play a wing. They're both making money from their past deals, too, so they wouldn't break the bank, and at their ages, with the right chemistry, they could still be effective. It would provide a nice little stop gap until some of the prospects are fully ready, it would presumably spread the checking burden from Seguin and Benn, and leave the Stars with enough assets that they might be able to improve the blue line.

Vinny is going on his 3rd team in 2 years for a reason. We'd be running both those old men out of town after a few months.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I don't understand your wording here.

That's pretty much my point to you I guess. I'm saying I don't understand why you would say, "I didn't know what to make of it because he also listed Stransky, who I don't consider a legitimate NHL option right now in any capacity. I kind of took the Morin comment as somewhat of a carrot dangling for next season."

When I mentioned that probably meant injury depth ... you said you already considered that.

If you'd already consider injury depth ... that answer's your question. Stransky is a legitimate option because they could potentially face some injuries that made him needed.

There's not another person under contract I think most people would consider as a legitimate injury call up down in Texas. Every other name you would consider it to be an emergency ... having to call this guy up before you had hoped situation.

It's not close to a stretch that Stransky could get some spot duty though like maybe Troock or G. Smith.

Primetimey*

I don't take that as being rude, but I would say what about Nill makes you think he's just randomly naming names if he specifically stated that these players have a chance at the roster?

You either believe he's just talking to hear his head rattle or he's a thoughtful guy that says what he means. Everything I've seen from him this season would seem to indicate he chooses his words pretty wisely and I buy that if he says Morin as a shot with Dallas ... he plans on giving Morin a legitimate shot.

I just choose to believe someone else is probably going to prove to be better in a depth role. It could also mean they keep Morin in the NHL as a guy outside of the Top 12, but I'd imagine that's less likely.

In this case, I agree he isn't just tossing random names. The listed guys do have a chance at the NHL roster. But why doesn't Glennie have a chance? He wasn't listed... but that is because he isn't going to list every single person who has potential to make it.

Two weeks ago when he said "four AHL playoff d-man have a chance at NHL" I just find it hard to believe in his head he has pre-calculated four guys specifically that have a good chance. Why not three, why not five.. I feel like he just says an average number in an interview.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I think most people in positions of responsibility usually say exactly what they mean to say, and as a "preparation" guy, I think Nil certainly wouldn't be one of the ones to be loose with words, as sometimes does happen.

That said, he may plan on brining them all to camp, giving them all the ops, but has been a GM long enough to let Lindy decide who stays. He also knows there will be maybe one surprise, and more disappointments with young players.

In general, I think he means to say that after years of filling in with older vets as place holders because you don't trust the youngsters, it may be time to build with the youngsters. Under bankruptcy, we were in the place holder mode, but it is not way to build a team for the future. And, we have all the evidence we need - jettison Jagr, Ryder, etc and the team scored as many goals. Trade Roby and go with Dillon, Benn, etc. and while Goli and Daley led the way, our GAA didn't go up drastically.

Young players get better, old players get older. If we are going with a team speed concept, getting a slow Vanek, Richards, Vinny, etc. doesn't seem to fit. The big names may give us a sense of security, but probably not arguably better hockey.

I get the sense that we will end up doing zero UFA deals, or go with a younger, less heralded guy at lower money who will fit in three years from now. Just a guess.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
That's pretty much my point to you I guess. I'm saying I don't understand why you would say, "I didn't know what to make of it because he also listed Stransky, who I don't consider a legitimate NHL option right now in any capacity. I kind of took the Morin comment as somewhat of a carrot dangling for next season."

When I mentioned that probably meant injury depth ... you said you already considered that.

If you'd already consider injury depth ... that answer's your question. Stransky is a legitimate option because they could potentially face some injuries that made him needed.

There's not another person under contract I think most people would consider as a legitimate injury call up down in Texas. Every other name you would consider it to be an emergency ... having to call this guy up before you had hoped situation.

It's not close to a stretch that Stransky could get some spot duty though like maybe Troock or G. Smith.

Alright, I guess when you said "pushing for 4the line jobs" I took that to mean from the beginning of the season and not as injury replacements. My definition of pushing for a 4th line job does not consist of injury problems on the parent club, as those aren't permanent jobs and merely a matter of course in hockey.

So yes, Stransky is a viable option to be considered as about the 15-18th forward on the depth chart.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I think I see what you mean. My original comment goes back to your pulling out from his interview that he views Morin or Stransky as guys pushing for 4th line spots. I'm not going to call Nill a liar (because IMO he wasn't saying quite what you're saying he means). Morin could be a possible guy for the 4th line, I will give you that. Stransky landig a 4th line spot would fly in the face of everything he has repeatedly said about being patient with guys and stressing the importance of the developmental process.

Yeah ... I don't agree totally with that, but I understand what you're saying now. He's also said the playoffs are different beast the accelerate development.

I think it's reasonable to not believe Stransky is ready like you personally feel, and I actually don't believe he's probably ready either.

I do think it's more than plausible that Stransky in Nill's eyes accelerated his development and puts him in the running for a job. I don't want Morin to be in the NHL at all ... but I can acknowledge that it's not crazy to think he'd seriously consider him for 4th line center. It's not. It's not what most want to here, but a guy like Nill who constantly preaches rewarding guys would be just the type that might give a 30 year old AHL scoring champion a legitimate chance.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Alright, I guess when you said "pushing for 4the line jobs" I took that to mean from the beginning of the season and not as injury replacements. My definition of pushing for a 4th line job does not consist of injury problems on the parent club, as those aren't permanent jobs and merely a matter of course in hockey.

So yes, Stransky is a viable option to be considered as about the 15-18th forward on the depth chart.

We're getting into details that probably don't matter until camp, but I think overall we actually agree about who Stransky is right now.

I just do believe that Nill probably feels comfortable if Stransky was a Top 12 forward ... however that occurred.

It goes back to his depth comment. You have guys that are outside of the Top 12, that you believe are ready for that position if need be. I think you also have guys you think will eventually be there .... but you're sweating bullets if they have to play in the NHL right now.

I don't believe Stransky is probably going to be a guy they're concerned about at the start of the year.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
In this case, I agree he isn't just tossing random names. The listed guys do have a chance at the NHL roster. But why doesn't Glennie have a chance? He wasn't listed... but that is because he isn't going to list every single person who has potential to make it.

Two weeks ago when he said "four AHL playoff d-man have a chance at NHL" I just find it hard to believe in his head he has pre-calculated four guys specifically that have a good chance. Why not three, why not five.. I feel like he just says an average number in an interview.

I think you're mixing up two conversations. There was a strange interview where he throughout 17 or 18 .....13 .... some strange number referring to Texas players that would eventually play in Dallas ... over several years. We did debate if that was a legitimate number, and why he'd go with that number.

This isn't that situation at all. No one here today said that was the full list or only the list. I don't particularly care that it was 4 names this time ... I was only talking about what you appear to agree on that they aren't random names ... they're guys that he sees as NHL potential for 2014-15. Morin on that list surprised me ... the only point I brought it up ... and I do believe he probably thinks Morin could potentially earn an NHL job.

I don't tend to agree with glove on the point that he's doing lip service to essentially impress Travis and convince him to stick around. That doesn't seem like something he would do .... entirely IMO. I think he'd be pretty straightforward with the player and honest. He comes off that way ... to me.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Yeah, as an injury fill in, great. Stransky as part of the top 12 forwards for an extended period of time in Dallas next year, not so great. Stransky is a guy who will reward you for patience, but if not handled with care could totally flame out. Detroit didn't really rush their kids and that's worked out pretty nicely for them.

I am excited about Stransky's future though. Kid could offer some unique talents in the future.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
If all he costs is Anaheim's 4th would you?

There's little to no chance that he'd cost that much IMO. If that happened to be true ... there's little to no chance a team outside of WPG's division wouldn't immediately offer the same.

See the Pirri trade to Florida.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I don't tend to agree with glove on the point that he's doing lip service to essentially impress Travis and convince him to stick around. That doesn't seem like something he would do .... entirely IMO. I think he'd be pretty straightforward with the player and honest. He comes off that way ... to me.

It wasn't my intention to imply he was paying lip service to Morin to get him to stay. I said carrot dangling, which implies something to strive for and which is attainable. I don't think Nill views Morin as an 80 game NHL player next year but I do think he would bring him up if we could make use of him.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Yeah, as an injury fill in, great. Stransky as part of the top 12 forwards for an extended period of time in Dallas next year, not so great. Stransky is a guy who will reward you for patience, but if not handled with care could totally flame out. Detroit didn't really rush their kids and that's worked out pretty nicely for them.

I am excited about Stransky's future though. Kid could offer some unique talents in the future.

I finally got to a way to best explain it I think so yeah I agree. I just think he's for sure in the group of guys Nill is comfortable playing in the NHL right now should the need arise.

I also believe that group will grow. I still have a strong feeling Mueller comes back in a similar role playing most of the year with Texas. I don't feel the same confidence about Jeffrey ... and don't particularly want to see it happen ... but I think the same could happen with him .. especially with Hedden moving on.

If you believe as I kind of do that Glennie is gone because of waivers, Hendersen could easily be gone because Nashville may not want to lend him back to Texas, then there's a reasonable chance that Texas loses some big pieces.

I could just see them easily hanging on to some guys and maybe even add a new guy similar to Mueller this season.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
It wasn't my intention to imply he was paying lip service to Morin to get him to stay. I said carrot dangling, which implies something to strive for and which is attainable. I don't think Nill views Morin as an 80 game NHL player next year but I do think he would bring him up if we could make use of him.

It's a misunderstand of semantics then. Carrot dangling to me meant trying to coax him to say ... and lip service was too harsh. I know you didn't mean he was just blowing smoke.

I just meant that I don't think he really needs to dangle a carrot or demonstrate anything to Morin. IDK ... just seems like he's not a song and dance guy that needs to sell a guy on staying. I think he just honestly believes Morin is a viable Top 12 guy.

Regardless ... I misspoke with lip service.

.... and I'd honestly hate to see Morin in 80 games. I'd hate to see him in 20 games.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
It's a misunderstand of semantics then. Carrot dangling to me meant trying to coax him to say ... and lip service was too harsh. I know you didn't mean he was just blowing smoke.

I just meant that I don't think he really needs to dangle a carrot or demonstrate anything to Morin. IDK ... just seems like he's not a song and dance guy that needs to sell a guy on staying. I think he just honestly believes Morin is a viable Top 12 guy.

Regardless ... I misspoke with lip service.

.... and I'd honestly hate to see Morin in 80 games. I'd hate to see him in 20 games.

Just go ahead and say it G. You hate Morin.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I feel like I missed the boat on this because it seems to be the consensus, but what is it that makes Morin not an NHL option?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad