IIHF World Juniors

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
I think what makes Grigs such an exciting prospect for this team is that he is something that the Sabres have needed for years. A true number 1 centre with size who can create offence and make his linemates better with his incredible vision and IQ.

I read someone compare McCabe to Ryan Suter and physically he has the body type and even faciallylooks similar. If his game could progress to that level that would be incredible but not realistic. He has been very impressive though and it is no coincidence
that once he was given more ice time and PP time that the American team took off. He seems like a very mature, composed player that leads by example and does everything well. He is in a great situation in Wisconsin, lets hope that he continues to develop.

Sean McG

Dec 27, 2009
Niagara on the Lake, ON
Actually the Canadian media were pimping them as saying how this was going to be such a great team since at least 8 of their players would have been in the NHL instead of playing for team Canada. Hell they were wondering if this team was going to dominate more than the last lockout team.

I really don't think this is true at all. I'm the first to admit that the coverage in Canada for this tournament is a bit over the top, but I don't think TSN portrayed this team any different than they do any other year. Even with the team getting a few more players because of the lockout, I know I never really felt that this team was THAT loaded compared to some of the teams, I was a lot more confident going into the tourney with the 2008 & 2009 teams, and it seemed to me that TSN/Canadian media felt the same way. Maybe there's some crazy Canada-biased posters over on the main boards that make you feel this way.

Also on the McCabe/Pysyk thing from a few pages back, they are both very similar in that they're just very steady defenseman, but Pysyk's skating is just unreal. He lacks elite top-end speed, but he'll have a long NHL career because of how smooth he is on his skates.

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
I'm with ONG, I saw a LOT of talk from the media and Canadian fans about how good this team was. And lets be real, it really should have been that good. They are stacked, the problem was that some players didn't show up to play the way many thought they would. Hamilton wasn't as good as many thought he would be, Schiefele was expected to be better, and Huberdeau was a disappointment.

Moving along, can't wait for Saturday. Before this morning, I would've said Sweden would take down the USA but this team is playing with so much confidence right now and Gibson looks downright unbeatable. I think we're going to see a 2-1 game, I'll say the US takes it.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Thinking real long term here, but McCabe-Myers would be an excellent pairing I think.

Not a stretch to project that. Seth Jones has definitely reminded me of Myers in this tourney - a big man with small man skating/stick skills, not overly physical, and prone to the occasional WTF defensively. Both he and McCabe have been revelations since Housley paired them up. I could see them projecting to a poor man's Weber-Suter which is still better than almost every top-2 pairing in the league. Add 'Hoff at 3 and Sekera/Pysyk at 4/5, and now you're talking a solid unit to make a deep run in about 3 years.

Edit: Watching my DVR of USA-Canada now. Holy crap, has McCabe been a dominant 2-way force, and not against a 2nd-tier relegation team. He plays his best against the best. Just so smart at both ends. Not just the 2 goals, but the play where the puck caromed off the glass into the crease, and he swept it out springing Gaudreau to the gamebreaking goal (and was 10 feet behind him when it was scored).

He says he tries to pattern after Girardi, but seems like more talent in McCabe at this level, doesn't always translate though. The Ryan Suter comparison I don't see style-wise, but maybe result-wise. Trying to think of a good comparable for what I've seen... for this game he's had a Rod Langway kind of effect on so far.

I will admit, at the draft I said "Who the hell is Jake McCabe" but I am thoroughly impressed with this guy as a hockey player. My favorite Sabre alum is probably Mike Ramsey. If this guy can get anywhere close to that kind of defensive presence and add offense like he's doing, and you've got a helluva player to help you win.

Lord, just saw him get robbed by Binnington on that sick Grimaldi drop. The end of this 2nd period, how friggin' dominant can you look?

Last edited:

HockeyH3aven

Jan 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
McCabe is one of those guys who you don't even notice defensively because he just never makes mistakes. He's like Tallinder but with more offensive skill at the U20 level. The fact that he shows up in the offensive end as much as some forwards is also very exciting.

I also don't take it as a small thing that he is the captain of a very successful US team. Getting a bunch of guys together who play against each other the other 11 months of the year and then forming them into a very good, cohesive team is incredibly difficult. Housley obviously is the key factor in this, but I think the captain does as well.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Current points leader at the 2013 IIHF WJC, from your Buffalo Sabres, Joel Armia!! :laugh:

Armia has a hat trick and an assist through 23 minutes of Finland's game against Slovakia, for a total of 6-6-12. Applying the Galchenyukian logic of Habs fans--that is, performance is directly correlated to points scored, even if most of said points were scored vs relegation teams and/or when game was out of reach--Armia should be the tournament MVP.

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
Current points leader at the 2013 IIHF WJC, from your Buffalo Sabres, Joel Armia!! :laugh:

Armia has a hat trick and an assist through 23 minutes of Finland's game against Slovakia, for a total of 6-6-12. Applying the Galchenyukian logic of Habs fans--that is, performance is directly correlated to points scored, even if most of said points were scored vs relegation teams and/or when game was out of reach--Armia should be the tournament MVP.

:laugh:

I would've liked to see him play better during the prelims, but the entire Finnish team was awful so it's not solely on him for not stepping up.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Further, what was the audio volumn on those points? Loud, soft, mezzo? :laugh:

-------------------------------

I was pleased with how McCabe and Grigorenko elevated themselves in elimination games. Always good to see, especially in Grigorenko's case as those sort of performances salve the conscience in the face of baseless doubters.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
i've heard that Coles on Elmwood will open for it

EDIT:

To all our WNY hockey fans, coles will be opening at 745AM Saturday morning for the World Juniors Gold Medal game. USA vs Sweden. We will have a breakfast buffet with eggs, sausage, bacon, home fries, breads & juices. Bar will also be open for beers, cocktails and mimosas. USA, USA

From their Facebook.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Further, what was the audio volumn on those points? Loud, soft, mezzo? :laugh:

-------------------------------

I was pleased with how McCabe and Grigorenko elevated themselves in elimination games. Always good to see, especially in Grigorenko's case as those sort of performances salve the conscience in the face of baseless doubters.

But Grigorenko is a choker in the playoffs!!! :sarcasm:

Well, I guess we can still explain this by the fact he's got 5 years on all the other players. :laugh:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Does anyone know what bars will be open in the morning to show the game? The Buffalo area that is...

Would be nice to catch it since I'm not working....

EDIT:

To all our WNY hockey fans, coles will be opening at 745AM Saturday morning for the World Juniors Gold Medal game. USA vs Sweden. We will have a breakfast buffet with eggs, sausage, bacon, home fries, breads & juices. Bar will also be open for beers, cocktails and mimosas. USA, USA

From their Facebook.

There is your answer.

Imagining Defeat

Dec 16, 2007
Satellite of Love

EDIT:

From their Facebook.

Thank you sir!

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
McCabe is one of those guys who you don't even notice defensively because he just never makes mistakes. He's like Tallinder but with more offensive skill at the U20 level. The fact that he shows up in the offensive end as much as some forwards is also very exciting.

I also don't take it as a small thing that he is the captain of a very successful US team. Getting a bunch of guys together who play against each other the other 11 months of the year and then forming them into a very good, cohesive team is incredibly difficult. Housley obviously is the key factor in this, but I think the captain does as well.

Yeah, I watched parts of three games (Wisconsin, WJC) on TV and think I noticed him a couple times. It was hard to follow/cheer him on.

It was easier in the early going cheering for Grigorenko (he stands out).

I watched the first period of USA/Canada game. McCabe sure was noticeable there (two goals!)!

I heard the McCabe interview on XM92 this morning. He is a well-spoken leader.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Yeah, I watched parts of three games (Wisconsin, WJC) on TV and think I noticed him a couple times. It was hard to follow/cheer him on.

It was easier in the early going cheering for Grigorenko (he stands out).

I watched the first period of USA/Canada game. McCabe sure was noticeable there (two goals!)!

I heard the McCabe interview on XM92 this morning. He is a well-spoken leader.[/
QUOTE]

These alone have me pumped for the future. You have guys like Grigorenko, who have the skill to stand out, and they stand out and perform like they should.

Then you have guys like McCabe who have the quiet(drury-esque) leadership and come off very professional.

In 4-5 Years you have talents like Grigs, Ennis, Hodgson, Armia who will be our Offensive go to guys, and you will have the potential leadership in the locker room pushing the team: Foligno, Pysyk, McCabe, Girgensen. I am very happy about our future.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/...ing-world-juniors-sabres-grigorenko-responds/

Mikhail Grigorenko has responded to accusations that Russia’s World Junior team was enjoying too much nightlife.

Grigorenko angrily denied claims made by Alex Semak — the former NHLer, now coaching Russian junior club Tolpar — that members of the team were out late at nightclubs and restaurants throughout the tournament.

“It’s sad to read such nastiness in the media,†Grigorenko told Russian media outlet Sportbox.ru. “Nail Yakupov is bad. Mikhail Grigorenko is bad. The hockey is bad. I don’t know what game he was watching.

“All the guys are giving everything on the ice and can’t be blamed.â€

Keep him away from Chippewa!

:laugh:

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
I'm with ONG, I saw a LOT of talk from the media and Canadian fans about how good this team was. And lets be real, it really should have been that good. They are stacked, the problem was that some players didn't show up to play the way many thought they would. Hamilton wasn't as good as many thought he would be, Schiefele was expected to be better, and Huberdeau was a disappointment.

Yeah, you are right the Canadian media really did pump up this team. I think that's what made them almost unbearable to watch as the team seemed so full of themselves. I think the fans didn't like the team much from the selection camp on when they lost to the University of Alberta. :laugh:

Anyways, enjoy the game tomorrow US fans!

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Yeah, you are right the Canadian media really did pump up this team. I think that's what made them almost unbearable to watch as the team seemed so full of themselves. I think the fans didn't like the team much from the selection camp on when they lost to the University of Alberta. :laugh:

Anyways, enjoy the game tomorrow US fans!

I'm not sure how this tournament became so big in Canada. Happens at Christmas, not much going on for TV. Same story for Canada. Most countries can field a decent top 20, so Canada will lose some. But Canada could probably fill a second team good enough for a shot at medal but it doesn't mean squat cause it is your top 20, depth doesn't count. I was kind of rooting for USA and Russia cause of Sabres prospects. Kept that to myself. It's a by treasonous up here.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I'm not sure how this tournament became so big in Canada. Happens at Christmas, not much going on for TV. Same story for Canada. Most countries can field a decent top 20, so Canada will lose some. But Canada could probably fill a second team good enough for a shot at medal but it doesn't mean squat cause it is your top 20, depth doesn't count. I was kind of rooting for USA and Russia cause of Sabres prospects. Kept that to myself. It's a by treasonous up here.

I think I read somewhere that the big brawl between Canada/Russia in the late 80s put the tournament on the map in Canada, and then it just took off.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa

I wouldn't say it that out loud.:laugh: I remember doing that with Afinogenov, and regretted it ever since.

It's funny you mention the secondary team as in the Under 17 tournament we put out 5 teams (of 10), while US, Sweden, Russia, Finland and Slovakia put out just the one. I'm not saying IIHF would let us do that but it would be interesting to see how they do.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
I think I read somewhere that the big brawl between Canada/Russia in the late 80s put the tournament on the map in Canada, and then it just took off.

I don't remember that one as I was too young (I don't say that very often these days :laugh:). But for me it was the comeback against Russia in Saskatoon that really stood out as inflating this tournament. After that everyone wanted to watch the team play live in Canada (and now everyone can on what seems like every single year:shakehead). The other thing is probably TSN with their non-stop pumping up of the tournament.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad