IIHF World Juniors

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
What's the biggest difference between McCabe and Pysyk? I've perceived both as positionally sound guys who relied on their skating + IQ advantages and were more willing to take hits to make plays than say Bouwmeester/Tallinder at their worst?

Pysyk's skating is a notch or two above McCabe's (not that McCabe's a slouch). Of the two, I'd also take Pysyk right now by a touch for his overall offensive game/transition. I'd rate McCabe higher by a touch physically. *shrug*

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Pysyk's skating is a notch or two above McCabe's (not that McCabe's a slouch). Of the two, I'd also take Pysyk right now by a touch for his overall offensive game/transition. I'd rate McCabe higher by a touch physically. *shrug*
Pretty much this. Pysyk is an amazing skater so to say he's better than McCabe at it isn't a bad thing for Jake. McCabe is pretty solid physically, 6'1" 205lbs for someone who just turned 19. With the muscle that a lot of College prospects put on he will be 220 by the time he's in the NHL. I would say that's his advantage over Pysyk, that and his hair.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Something I noticed in the game vs Canada is McCabe's claiming effect. Jones had a tough 1st period with Reilly. McCabe is paired with him to start the 2nd and it seemed to give jones confidence to play his game. Although that could be equally due to getting the defensive train wreck Reilly away for him.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
So I've watched every. single. game that has been aired in the USA, which obviously eliminates Armia but includes everything else of value.

Notes:

- McCabe is a special-teamer, which isn't a bad thing. No flash. Nothing that stands out (doesn't hit like McNabb, doesn't skate like Pysyk, doesn't shoot like Brennan) but is CALM and collected. Anyone who gets tabbed by his teammates to don the 'C' is immediately a leg up in my book

- Grigorenko has impressed me. I spoke to my father (he's already in Dad's doghouse as a lazy Russian) to point out that it seems when Mikhail is on the ice, it's an offensive zone shift, and he's making plays. He has looked almost too unselfish at times, but he was far and away the best Russian not named Tkachyev against Switzerland (and the best Russian forward by a long shot IMO)

- Makarov impressed me in his games, to the point of wondering how they wouldn't go back to him in a gold medal game if he beats Sweden (they should with the injuries to Sweden)

- Players I've fallen for, in no order:
-----Khokhlachev, who will certainly be causing us headaches down the middle with Seguin and Bergeron
-----Drouin, who you can see will continue to fly up the draft charts if he hasn't already pretty much done so
-----Barber

Pretty pumped for another all-nighter tonight. Between that and the NHL meetings set for a couple hours, it should/could be potentially a solid memorable night.

KEY FOR USA:

Shut down RNH line. Nothing earth-shattering. That's it. Canada takes a ton of penalties despite the USA being the most penalized team in terms of PIM.

KEY FOR CANADA:

Clog the neutral zone, don't let the USA forwards enter the zone with full heads of steam, and get scoring from your depth guys.

It's a shame MacKinnon took those penalties last game, because it's likely stapling him back to the bench in any meaningful action. You can see the talent the kid has, and he's a game breaker even in a tournament where he's on the extreme younger end of the pole.

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
So I've watched every. single. game that has been aired in the USA, which obviously eliminates Armia but includes everything else of value.

Notes:

- McCabe is a special-teamer, which isn't a bad thing. No flash. Nothing that stands out (doesn't hit like McNabb, doesn't skate like Pysyk, doesn't shoot like Brennan) but is CALM and collected. Anyone who gets tabbed by his teammates to don the 'C' is immediately a leg up in my book

- Grigorenko has impressed me. I spoke to my father (he's already in Dad's doghouse as a lazy Russian) to point out that it seems when Mikhail is on the ice, it's an offensive zone shift, and he's making plays. He has looked almost too unselfish at times, but he was far and away the best Russian not named Tkachyev against Switzerland (and the best Russian forward by a long shot IMO)

- Makarov impressed me in his games, to the point of wondering how they wouldn't go back to him in a gold medal game if he beats Sweden (they should with the injuries to Sweden)

- Players I've fallen for, in no order:
-----Khokhlachev, who will certainly be causing us headaches down the middle with Seguin and Bergeron
-----Drouin, who you can see will continue to fly up the draft charts if he hasn't already pretty much done so
-----Barber

Pretty pumped for another all-nighter tonight. Between that and the NHL meetings set for a couple hours, it should/could be potentially a solid memorable night.

Makarov has impressed me a lot as well, to the point where I really don't understand why he was never drafted. Granted, I've mostly seen him in international play where he seems to excel, but how does a team not take a chance on the kid? He came to NA to play juniors and showed that commitment so I don't see the "Russian factor" really being a huge deal here.

I've been impressed with Khokhlachev at moments, but he's been incredibly inconsistent. I expected more.

Totally agree with Drouin, he's been unbelievable in the games I've seen. Kids like that aren't supposed to perform like that as a 17 year old in this tournament.

I'm in full on crush mode with Hartman. Still wouldn't take him in the first but he's creeping into the low 30's on my board.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
How does McCabe compare to McDonagh at the same age?

Can't say I watched McDonagh in his college years, but a cursory glance at the stats show that McCabe is about twice the offensive player McD was back then. Hopefully there's a Wisconsin fan around who can say something more useful on the subject though. :laugh:

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Mcabe player of the game. The US absolutely dominated the 1st period that I watched. Good period to catch being a Sabres fan.

Canada should have had the Cat.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
McCabe was great in all three zones. The USA dominated the first period, really set the tone properly and never looked back. Impressive win.

I'd think you hope for a Sweden victory, considering how bruised up their blueline is - probably an easier opponent (not considering the fact that it'd be a lot tougher playing the host in the finals simply for home-ice advantage purposes)

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Corey Pronman‏@coreypronman
Andrei Vasilevski in net for Russia vs. Sweden. I guess he's the guy now going forward. #Bolts

I was hoping to watch Makarov play in net today. Didn't think Vasilevski played that great the last game.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
McCabe was great in all three zones. The USA dominated the first period, really set the tone properly and never looked back. Impressive win.

I'd think you hope for a Sweden victory, considering how bruised up their blueline is - probably an easier opponent (not considering the fact that it'd be a lot tougher playing the host in the finals simply for home-ice advantage purposes)

Sorry, as a Sabres fan I will be rooting for Grigorenko against Sweden.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Wow, wounds like McCabe had himself a game! Now I almost regret not getting up at 4:30 to watch it... Hopefully I'll be able to catch a replay somewhere.

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
I'm torn here, I want Russia because of Grigorenko and I think Sweden is the better team.

I want Sweden because I'm not particularly fond of Russia/Russia's players.

The USA/Canada game was well worth getting up at 4 am to watch for the 2nd day in a row. McCabe played awesome, the whole team really played off the charts for two periods. Their level of play at certain parts of those periods was incredible, they mentioned it on the broadcast but they were playing with so much confidence.

There are a ton of players that played really well in that game but the top guys for me were Gibson, McCabe, Jones, Vesey, and Gaudreau.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad