IIHF World Juniors

Apr 16, 2002
Rochester, NY
Visit site
i've heard that Coles on Elmwood will open for it

EDIT:

To all our WNY hockey fans, coles will be opening at 745AM Saturday morning for the World Juniors Gold Medal game. USA vs Sweden. We will have a breakfast buffet with eggs, sausage, bacon, home fries, breads & juices. Bar will also be open for beers, cocktails and mimosas. USA, USA

From their Facebook.

In Rochester, thirsty will open- http://www.thirstysonline.com/

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
I wish these tourneys were more popular. One of the reasons I'd love to see Empire back is that maybe they would show more of the junior/AHL/international games. Went to Toronto last year during the season and had 5 channels of hockey games. Never left the hotel. The endless repeats of NHL games on the network is annoying.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
Haha, "the hockey gods" reward Grimaldi. Grimaldi asks refs to check upstairs to see if the assist can be given to the One True God instead.

HockeyH3aven

Jan 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
USA Hockey is just getting stronger and stronger. I feel bad for Sweden, we just own them in these Junior tournaments. I love their game, just not enough offense structure IMO.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
anyone else tired of posts like these comparing Grigorenko and Galchenyuk? Its grown tiresome

Yes, Grigorenko is so good he is pointless again in the most important game for Russia. Nothing's changed since the draft.

And lol @ Grigo > Gally talk :laugh:

is it time to do another prospect ranking? I think there will be quite a few guys who move up (Kea, McCabe, Catenacci )

Last edited:

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Very satisfying tournament overall and for USA Hockey. I figured USA was out of it after they lost their composure vs. Canada in the 1st game. Quite a turnaround which the coaching staff should deserve some credit for.

Some great hockey on display and a sweet, sweet ending.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
anyone else tired of posts like these comparing Grigorenko and Galchenyuk? Its grown tiresome

is it time to do another prospect ranking? I think there will be quite a few guys who move up (Kea, McCabe, Catenacci )

Yes, and maybe? Not sure who those guys would rise over. The only possible fallers, IMO, are Tropp (because who knows how he'll recover from his knee injury) and McNabb (because he's taken a big step back this year). Otherwise, I still see Grigs, Armia, Foligno, Girgs, Pysyk holding down the top 5.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Yes, and maybe? Not sure who those guys would rise over. The only possible fallers, IMO, are Tropp (because who knows how he'll recover from his knee injury) and McNabb (because he's taken a big step back this year). Otherwise, I still see Grigs, Armia, Foligno, Girgs, Pysyk holding down the top 5.

I dont remember the last ranking but thought that McCabe, Kea, and Catenacci were quite low, I must of been wrong. I think that McCabe would easily pass JGL now, and that Kea would pass Sundher, Catenacci is probably where he should be.

Appartenly these were the results.

1. C - Mikhail Grigorenko (Quebec, QMJHL) - 61 of 76 votes (runners up: Armia and Foligno, 5 votes)
2. RW - Joel Armia (Assat, SM-Liiga) - 61 of 71 votes (runner up: Girgensons, 6 votes)
3. C - Zemgus Girgensons (Rochester, AHL) - 32 of 67 votes (runner up: McNabb, 17 votes)
4. D - Brayden McNabb (Rochester, AHL) - 31 of 67 votes (runner up: Foligno, 27 votes)
5. LW - Marcus Foligno (Buffalo, NHL) - 58 of 82 votes (runner up: Pysyk, 23 votes)
6. D - Mark Pysyk (Rochester, AHL) - 63 of 67 votes (runner up: Tropp, 2 votes)
7. D - Jerome Gauthier-Leduc (Rochester, AHL) - 27 of 65 votes (runner up: Tropp, 27 votes; JGL wins tiebreaker 41-38)
8. RW - Corey Tropp (Buffalo, NHL) - 50 of 60 votes (runner up: Catenacci, 4 votes)
9. D - Jake McCabe (Univ of Wisconsin, WCHA) - 24 of 57 votes (runner up: Catenacci, 23 votes)
10. C - Daniel Catenacci (Owen Sound, OHL) - 32 of 55 votes (runner up: Brennan, 17 votes)
11. D - T.J. Brennan (Rochester, AHL) - 25 of 44 votes (runner up: Sundher, 6 votes)
12. C - Kevin Sundher (Rochester, AHL) - 22 of 47 votes (runner up: Ullmark, 10 votes)
13. G - Linus Ullmark (Modo, SuperElit) - 22 of 45 votes (runner up: Kea, 9 votes)
14. C - Justin Kea (Saginaw, OHL) - 11 of 37 votes (runners up: Knapp and Varone, 8 votes)
15(t). G - Connor Knapp (Rochester, AHL) - 12 of 37 votes (runner up: Varone, 9 votes)
15(t). D - Drew Schiestel (Rochester, AHL) - 12 of 37 votes (runner up: Varone, 9 votes)
17. C - Phil Varone (Rochester, AHL) - 23 of 38 votes (runner up: Navin, 5 votes)
18(t). C - Brad Navin (Univ of Wisconsin, WCHA) - 7 of 34 votes (runner up: MacKenzie, 5 votes)
18(t). C - Logan Nelson (Victoria, WHL) - 7 of 34 votes (runner up: MacKenzie, 5 votes)
20. D - Matt MacKenzie (Rochester, AHL) - 9 of 29 votes (runner up: Lieuwen, 8 votes)
21. G - Nathan Lieuwen (Rochester, AHL) - 13 of 24 votes (runner up: Lepkowski, 5 votes)
22(t). C - Brian Flynn (Rochester, AHL) - 7 of 24 votes (runners up: Biega and Peterson, 3 votes)
22(t). D - Alex Lepkowski (Barrie, OHL) - 7 of 24 votes (runners up: Biega and Peterson, 3 votes)
24. D - Nick Crawford (Rochester, AHL) - 6 of 18 votes (runners up: Biega and Peterson, 4 votes)

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Lost in all the scramble at the end of the game, McCabe's final shift was beastly.
Beautiful dispossession against two forwards, sliding block to break up a Swedish cut to the net from behind the cage, then blocking another shot, all spread over a minute and a half of TOI against six skaters. Oh, I noticed.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

Habs fans are so very emotionally invested in that created rivalry. I've gathered it has a lot to do with the pre-draft debates on their boards, and most hold strong feelings about him because of his presence in the Q.

That they're unwilling to admit that Grigs played better over such a small sample of games tells you all you need to know.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
im catching up on some of the games i missed...

man i wish nail scored that last second rush

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Didn't see it posted here, but McCabe was named to the All-Tournament team (alongside fellow American Jacob Trouba who was the top D).

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don't remember that one as I was too young (I don't say that very often these days :laugh:). But for me it was the comeback against Russia in Saskatoon that really stood out as inflating this tournament. After that everyone wanted to watch the team play live in Canada (and now everyone can on what seems like every single year:shakehead). The other thing is probably TSN with their non-stop pumping up of the tournament.

You're thinking of this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punch-up_in_Piestany

1986 Hamilton hosted the tournament and it was broadcast across Canada. That seemed to get the ball rolling -- that and so much of Canadian national pride could be on display as being the best at something year upon year, especially while they were in the midst of a serious Olympic gold drought (lack of pro availability killed them most years).

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
You're thinking of this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punch-up_in_Piestany

1986 Hamilton hosted the tournament and it was broadcast across Canada. That seemed to get the ball rolling -- that and so much of Canadian national pride could be on display as being the best at something year upon year, especially while they were in the midst of a serious Olympic gold drought (lack of pro availability killed them most years).

Funny that Brendan Shanahan was on that team! Oh the irony. :laugh:

1987 was also the Canada Cup, which really got people pumped for cheering on Canada, albeit on a different level. To me it still feels like it was '91 in Saskatoon followed by 5 golds in a row (people like winners!) including the Red Deer team during the lockout that rolled over everyone.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
If Grigs can work with the Sabres skating coach he could be one heck of a player.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
If Grigs can work with the Sabres skating coach he could be one heck of a player.

He's no speed demon but he already has pretty good mobility for his size. Any improvements there would be fantastic of course but it's not something I'm worried about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad