Player Discussion II. Valeri Nichushkin

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I

Yeah, yeah we get it, you hate Val...

I hate it that I watched several years of God awful hockey resulting in a number of top third draft picks which are almost all total busts. Campbell, Glennie, Oleksiak, Nichushkin... These picks should have yielded some quality NHLers. Instead, they all suck. It's depressing.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
That's pretty bitter. Nuke makes this team better. I have no idea why people are so angry at him for seeing Ruff as the charlatan he was before everyone else figured it out.

Can't wait to see him in Victory Green again.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
I'm in the "No Fan of Val" treehouse club as well

That said, I'm more than willing to have him come back and give it another go. Worst that can happen is he's still the lax emotionless going-through-the-motions can't shoot can't make a play guy we had before. Would love for him to turn things around though. Would only be good.

marty182

Jul 19, 2013
just watched his russian interview from last december. I didn't think it's interesting but it is. Val tells that he requested a trade even after the first season, then he got injured. He didn't want to speak about his problems with Lindy, but he requested a trade in his 3rd season, said that he don't want to play there, and when Dallas said "No", Val answered "ok, if so, i'm going to play in Russia"

here is that interview, it's in russian, you may watch it after 27 min

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
he seemed like the right pick at the time but damn it sucks passing on domi and wennberg there. Its a shame it seems our relationship with his has strained but it really seems like its mostly on him. He jsut doesnt seem to get what it takes to be a great nhler. Also seems like we may have done a poor job of evaluating his personality.

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
Edmonton,Alberta
Guys who don't want to play for a coach **** me off and would **** me off more as a teammate, especially being in the league for only 3 seasons. That poor attitude gets you nowhere with any team you want to play for. You have to earn playing time and Val clearly could have cared less about that.

If he comes back, he better come back with a greater desire to want to play.

masinaLFC

Apr 2, 2014
Banska Bystrica, SVK
I was surprised that Oleg Znarok uses him in pretty much defensive role and lot on PK too... maybe this is his future role as his finishing is still kind of bad...

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
We know Val whined to Russian media about the Stars two seasons in a row. Learning he asked to be traded isn't a surprise.

What would be fun to learn is if Nill asked around and was offered a bucket of pucks for him because no GM wanted to purchase an underskilled headcase.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
No show on the score sheet for his first 5 games, and now pots 3 assist after two periods in the bronze medal game (one being a beauty saucer pass on a 2 on 1).

Also in the games i've watched, IMO he's improved in his own end. Would love to see him return this season and see how he'll fair under Hitch. The Russians trust Val on their PK and he's been doing a good job. I feel like he could thrive under Hitch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad