Player Discussion II. Valeri Nichushkin

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
Hi !

Was a big fan on the pick and really liked watching him play in his rookie season. Do you guys know if he'll be back next year ?

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
So are RW next year are Radulov, Nuke, Ritchie and Pitlick? Feels like Rads and a bunch of 10-15 goal scorers. Add Spezza and/or Shore and its still 10-15 goal scorers.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Valeri Nichushkin is having a very poor year in the KHL. Hopefully Radulov can wip him into shape when he returns.

I think he will be better here. Playing with better players and more talent and will be given a chance to succeed in our top 6

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Jim Nill:

DURHQa7VQAAME-4.jpg:large

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
But Roussel earned and kept his spot by besing a fast, hard checking pest. That’s not something Nichushkin is going to be able to copy to earn ice time.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I mean he's not going to be expensive . So if Val doesn't work out he'll get back to Russia. Might as well give Val another look. Not like we lose anything. Can't be worse than Ritchie

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I took a liking to Elie these last couple of games. Almost convinced now there's actually a decent player in there.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I don't think Nuke is going to be anything special. Too lazy maybe? The only constant in him is if things don't go his way he isn't happy. I don't see any maturation in having a bad season in the KHL. Maybe no learning either. I think Hitch will see a too old to be a rookie player and be harsh on him (does he do anything else?)

Nuke might want to head back to the KHL within 20 games. Or, the Stars may want to trade him in a change of scenery scenario for another similar player.

Plus, has he ever shown more than brief flashes of top ten pick skill? I think maybe he wasn't as good as his draft ranking thought he was.

The only bright spot is that Rads will help him see the light, having gone through a few similar hurdles when younger.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I don't think Nuke is going to be anything special. Too lazy maybe? The only constant in him is if things don't go his way he isn't happy. I don't see any maturation in having a bad season in the KHL. Maybe no learning either. I think Hitch will see a too old to be a rookie player and be harsh on him (does he do anything else?)

Nuke might want to head back to the KHL within 20 games. Or, the Stars may want to trade him in a change of scenery scenario for another similar player.

Plus, has he ever shown more than brief flashes of top ten pick skill? I think maybe he wasn't as good as his draft ranking thought he was.

The only bright spot is that Rads will help him see the light, having gone through a few similar hurdles when younger.
I don't think their hurdles are so similar. Radulov had problems with whether he wanted to play for the Predators, so that much is similar with Nichushkin not wanting to play for the Stars.

But when it comes to what they brought to the ice, whether in the NHL or KHL, Nichushkin is miles behind where Radulov was at any similar point in their careers. Nichushkin is something like maybe the 6th best player on his KHL team putting up only 0.5 points a game and isn't to be found on the first couple pages of the league's leaderboard for production. At the same age, Radulov was a point a game player in the KHL and was up amongst the league leaders.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Agreed. The whole point of the post was that I don't think Nuke is special. The hurdles of wanting to play is what I was wondering about, or hoping for if Nuke comes back. At least, we hope Rads is a good influence on him, because right now, he has always looked like a guy who isn't using whatever skill he was supposed to have. See no reason that would change next year on the Stars.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Jim Nill:

DURHQa7VQAAME-4.jpg:large

Dunno if we'll ever find out although I hope the info becomes public. The IOC's panel supposedly took the approach of "making it absolutely certain ... that there is not the slightest doubt or suspicion on athletes to be invited".

IMO it's highly probably that whatever the reason Nichushkin wasn't invited is something relatively minor or technical. Could be something as simple as being late for a test or being associated with some trainer or other figure with suspected doping connections.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Like the old joke, "Val, we have some good news, your urine sample shows you have no drugs in your body. And, congratulations, you're pregnant." Maybe they tested the wrong Valerie.

Reactions: Kuola

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I'm happy hes coming back. I know a lot of Stars fans really don't like him and really don't think he will be good, but we could use some more youth with speed and talent. Itll be a very interesting season, and I hope Monty gives him a good chance to succeed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->