Roussel
Nichushkin
Spezza

Klingberg
Lindell
Johns

Kari

Thoughts?

They'll either protect Eakin or trade him but this isn't totally on topic for the thread. Also probably shouldn't protect Kari.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Protect List:

Benn
Seguin
Faksa
Ritchie
Roussel
Nichushkin
Spezza

Klingberg
Lindell
Johns

Kari

Thoughts?

That's the same for me. Although you could protect JO instead of Johns and it wouldn't be the worst thing.

Maybe protect Ed Belfours leather jacket instead of Kari

As for being back on topic, I want Nuke to play in Dallas next year. I'm over the whole baby thing. I just want the best team next year:yo:

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Let's try to keep this thread on Nichushkin.

Getting him back would be pretty huge, I think. I'm starting to wonder if he's not the only one who's got major problems with Ruff.

As Hull Fan said, re-adding Janmark and Nichushkin is a huge step forward, especially for a team who's going to need wingers badly in the next couple of years.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
Getting him back would be pretty huge, I think. I'm starting to wonder if he's not the only one who's got major problems with Ruff.

He was given plenty of opportunity to succeed, even starting his rookie season on the 1st line. His inability to finish key plays or improve his shooting (among other things) is what led to Ruff demoting him. Throwing toys out of the pram and absconding for Russia the first chance he got didn't indicate the kind of maturity one needs to excel at this level.

As Hull Fan said, re-adding Janmark and Nichushkin is a huge step forward, especially for a team who's going to need wingers badly in the next couple of years.

Janmark, yes. Nichushkin, can't tell.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
He was given plenty of opportunity to succeed, even starting his rookie season on the 1st line. His inability to finish key plays or improve his shooting (among other things) is what led to Ruff demoting him. Throwing toys out of the pram and absconding for Russia the first chance he got didn't indicate the kind of maturity one needs to excel at this level.

Janmark, yes. Nichushkin, can't tell.

I'm on the same page with you here with regard to Nuke.

Janmark...I hope he returns to form. His condition is pretty serious, it's hard to predict if he loses a step or not. If he is the Janmark of last season, he will be a huge additional for us.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Well, we are going to need talented forwards next year, from somewhere. Nuke coming back is in theory a nice head start on that, over drafting a new one with a top ten pick who might be ready, or bringing up an AHL prospect who has to get used to the NHL quickly.

If insiders say the Stars are comfortable with Nuke, assuming a new coach, then who am I to disagree?

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
If insiders say the Stars are comfortable with Nuke, assuming a new coach, then who am I to disagree?

He could very well thrive under a new coach, but things could sour under a new coach too. Will he abscond again when that happens? When a player who doesn't show the maturity needed to handle demotion- something any coach will do when a player isn't producing- with the right attitude and work through it doesn't bode well for the team.

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
I think I'd be happier dealing Val Nichushkin's rights to bolster the defence and looking for a veteran top-six guy through trade or free agency, but that's just me.

I know Nichushkin likely can improve some of the weak parts in his game and I'm not Lindy Ruff's biggest fan either, but I don't like the message sent in the tantrums in the press. Immaturity is one thing, but that's unacceptable from any professional.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Might be a shot in the dark, but does anyone know when KHL free agency starts, or is that even a thing? In years past it looks like there was a lot of activity around May 1st.

Hypothetical opt outs would presumably have to take place prior to KHL free agency, no?

----------

I hate not knowing anything about KHL contracts.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I've heard Dallas is going to protect him.

Vancouver poster here.....hoping for some clarification on this....since this guy is under contract to a team in KHL, why does he need to be protected in the upcoming expansion draft by the Stars?

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Because his rights belong to Dallas. It would be the same if Dallas had a player in Sweden or Finland who's been pro for two years after they signed their ELC but hadn't come over yet. He's a pro. So he's protection eligible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad