Player Discussion II. Valeri Nichushkin

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I don't care about what he wanted. I'm just looking at this because of the quick reply we see any time someone says Nichushkin refused to play in the AHL. We are always assured that it was his contract that prohibited him going to the AHL and not anything he wanted.

His contract in the KHL was terminated on Condition that he plays in the NHL only, otherwise his KHL contract was still valid.
If he wanted to play in the AHL or not doesn't factor into it, because it was never an option.

It wasn't specific wording in his contract, his KHL team agreed to terminate the contract for him to go to the NHL, and the NHL only.
Normally players have to buy out there contracts to leave the KHL and it takes a minimum of a year to go through, he was able to side step all that with a mutual termination for the NHL, Otherwise he would have had to stay in the KHL until he either bought out the contract or it expired. That may have been a better route for his development, but he may end up coming back soon now that Ruff is going to be canned at the end of the year anyway

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
We don't know the specifics of that, but it seemed to the NHL experts at the time as somewhat of a deterrent. Regardless of the details, it was, IMHO:

Risky of Nill to take an 18 year old and guarantee him NHL playing time, when he is usually slow and methodical to develop prospects.

Had ramifications in team chemistry, and

Obviously, Nuke maintained an attitude of special privilege and unfair treatment by the Stars, even though he actually go preferential treatment, beyond what most players will get. His other revelations to the press, etc., were bad form for an NHL team player.

And, lets not forget, his numbers were nothing special, and most of the time, it looked like he was skating in circles, not particularly caring. He didn't pass the eye test.

I have a hard time with fans blasting all our other young players, like Johns for bad plays, or even Klingberg for lazy passes, but thinking Nuke is different. Again, and only IMHO, sometimes the potential outweighs actual performance of someone actually playing here.

Short version, if Nuke has any NHL value, I don't think its here. If Stars can trade his rights, I think that would be the best option, even if he turns out to be something better than he was here. Even with a new coach, I think his relationship with the Stars would still be rocky.

Duffeldof

Jun 28, 2014
We don't know the specifics of that, but it seemed to the NHL experts at the time as somewhat of a deterrent. Regardless of the details, it was, IMHO:

Risky of Nill to take an 18 year old and guarantee him NHL playing time, when he is usually slow and methodical to develop prospects.

Obviously, Nuke maintained an attitude of special privilege and unfair treatment by the Stars, even though he actually go preferential treatment, beyond what most players will get. His other revelations to the press, etc., were bad form for an NHL team player.

And, lets not forget, his numbers were nothing special, and most of the time, it looked like he was skating in circles, not particularly caring. He didn't pass the eye test.

I have a hard time with fans blasting all our other young players, like Johns for bad plays, or even Klingberg for lazy passes, but thinking Nuke is different. Again, and only IMHO, sometimes the potential outweighs actual performance of someone actually playing here.

Short version, if Nuke has any NHL value, I don't think its here. If Stars can trade his rights, I think that would be the best option, even if he turns out to be something better than he was here. Even with a new coach, I think his relationship with the Stars would still be rocky.

It took Radulov ten years and starting a family to calm down. Nuke is nice puppy compared to him. Couple years makes miracles for a young man.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
It took Radulov ten years and starting a family to calm down. Nuke is nice puppy compared to him. Couple years makes miracles for a young man.

Assuming he stays here this offseason.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization

good point. too bad dallas didn't trade him yet.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
He's got a ton of value and most of it is here with a competent coaching staff. As bad as the defense and goaltending have been the offense hasn't been amazing either. His possession ability, size, and offensive skills are needed. Getting rid of Ruff and bringing back both Nichushkin and Janmark is the start of turning around this roster.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Even with a new coach, while everyone says the right things, I wonder if the relationship will still be too strained?

I don't see why it would be. From what I saw when I worked with the Stars last year for a game, the players loved messing with Val (in good fun obviously), and Val was all smiles. Not to mention I remember Segs doing an interview with Sturm on theticket over the summer, and Segs supported Val's decision 100%. Maybe he's just saying that, who knows.

I just don't see the team holding a grudge on a kid who wanted to go back home for 1-2 years to get more ice time and develop.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I don't see why it would be. From what I saw when I worked with the Stars last year for a game, the players loved messing with Val (in good fun obviously), and Val was all smiles. Not to mention I remember Segs doing an interview with Sturm on theticket over the summer, and Segs supported Val's decision 100%. Maybe he's just saying that, who knows.

I just don't see the team holding a grudge on a kid who wanted to go back home for 1-2 years to get more ice time and develop.

I think ********UpperDeck is referring to Val's hurt feelings rather than anybody else's. If the problem is between him and Ruff, then that will soon be fixed, but if he doesn't want to come back to Dallas generally he doesn't ever have to.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Why are we still talking about Val?

Because either next year or the year after he will come back to the NHL? And if he follows a regular development curve he should continue to improve at hockey over that period? Maybe he can be a big help to our team around the same time Gurianov and Dickinson are getting to the NHL?

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Because either next year or the year after he will come back to the NHL? And if he follows a regular development curve he should continue to improve at hockey over that period? Maybe he can be a big help to our team around the same time Gurianov and Dickinson are getting to the NHL?

I like your optimism, but I think the Val ship has sailed.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Stepneski, Heika, and Shapiro all disagree with you. Shapiro's podcast this week was about Val and he expects him back because that's what people who know told him.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
I think ********UpperDeck is referring to Val's hurt feelings rather than anybody else's. If the problem is between him and Ruff, then that will soon be fixed, but if he doesn't want to come back to Dallas generally he doesn't ever have to.

Oh okay well in that case I agree with you 100%. I really do believe the problem was solely between him and Ruff.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Stepneski, Heika, and Shapiro all disagree with you. Shapiro's podcast this week was about Val and he expects him back because that's what people who know told him.

Hmm. Wasn't aware of that.

I've kind of blocked Val from my feed haha. I've defriended him on FB. I've unfollowed him on Twiitter. I've blocked his phone number. I've...I've...taken his departure really personally. haha jk :laugh:

...but seriously I had pretty much tuned out all the Val noise.

What's the latest?

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Hmm. Wasn't aware of that.

I've kind of blocked Val from my feed haha. I've defriended him on FB. I've unfollowed him on Twiitter. I've blocked his phone number. I've...I've...taken his departure really personally. haha jk :laugh:

...but seriously I had pretty much tuned out all the Val noise.

What's the latest?

That Val would probably play out his KHL deal next year and we should think about him as a prospect like Hintz. The Stars helped Gurianov get out of his deal, which I didn't think was how it worked at all but whatever, so they could possibly help Val somehow if he wanted to be back in 17-18. Nothing too concrete but don't forget about him.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
That Val would probably play out his KHL deal next year and we should think about him as a prospect like Hintz. The Stars helped Gurianov get out of his deal, which I didn't think was how it worked at all but whatever, so they could possibly help Val somehow if he wanted to be back in 17-18. Nothing too concrete but don't forget about him.

interesting.

Does Nill want him back though?

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
He is a big 30 point forward who is still developing. Why would they not want him back?

He's been somewhat of a pain.

Opportunity cost...he will be more expensive this time around.

Is the money we will put into a flight risk, and someone who hasn't really become a gamebreaker yet...and may never become that...is that money better spent on someone else who is less of a risk?

That's the question. Not just IF we want Val back hypothetically.

It's like holding a stock that you've already gone -25% on...and doubling down that position because you think it's going to go up. Risky. There might be a better investment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad