Speculation: II. 2014 Stars Offseason Thread: Tomahawk Steaks For Everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
@RobertJFTC: In the #fancystats era, 4 teams have finished the season with a Fenwick > 56%. 3 won the Cup (including LA this year) & 1 lost in the Final.

Puck possession- it's the way to go, and we're trending positively in that regard.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Hmmm ... interesting:

Renaud Lavoie ‏@renlavoietva

Canadiens will get Ducks 5th round pick if Louis Leblanc plays fifteen games with the Ducks next season. #tvasports

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I have a strong feeling you guys are going to land Joe Thornton.

Last edited:

ColeJ

Nov 4, 2007
Waxahachie, Texas
i've been entertaining the thought of jumbo joe coming here, as well...

it admittedly gets me giddy, so i try to temper expectations. for me, it's just a gut feeling, coupled with circumstances of both franchises.

as much as i hate the sharks, it's impossible to dislike joe thornton... and he'd fit so insanely well with val, i think.

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006
I'm back and forth on Richards. What scares me the most is I don't believe he would be a decent in the bottom 6 like Horcoff or Legwand if he couldn't contribute offensively.

TrillMike

Feb 21, 2012
Dallas, TX
If it came down to getting Richards in free agency (post buyout) or Thorton (for a small package), I'd rather have Thorton.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
If it came down to buying cheap on Gagner or paying Brad Richards to be useless at least Gagner can skate.

No Brad Richards. He's awful these days.

Kalamazoo Wings

May 4, 2010
Knee Deep
I'm back and forth on Richards. What scares me the most is I don't believe he would be a decent in the bottom 6 like Horcoff or Legwand if he couldn't contribute offensively.

Yeah, I will confirm your belief. Battle, back-check, forecheck, tenacity, shot-blocking are not a part of Richards' skill set in the slightest. He has zero characteristics of a depth/role player, which renders him pretty much useless if he's not contributing on the score sheet.

If it came down to buying cheap on Gagner or paying Brad Richards to be useless at least Gagner can skate.

No Brad Richards. He's awful these days.

I don't think you can buy cheap on Gagner... it's 2 years at 5 mil per left on his contract plus some minor assets to acquire him. If I can get Richards or Gagner on that same 2 year 10 mil deal, after a Richards buyout, I still go Richards. Neither Gagner or Richards are useful for anything other than offense and Richards has the edge on Gagner there. Richards gives you a better PP option while Gagner may get you a few extra points in the shootout. Both are a toss up and really terrible value at 5 mil per year. I highly doubt you see Nill make a push for either player.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Buy cheap on Gagner is like Connauton for Gagner or ship them Aaron Rome. That's about all I'm willing to pay and I actually like KC.

Point is I'd rather give up something small for Gagner who's not really a solution than actually pay for Richards. He's that bad.

Kalamazoo Wings

May 4, 2010
Knee Deep
i was thinking k-conn, guptill, and a 2nd.

he said YOUNG LHD. daley's on the wrong side of 30.

It would be awesome if that was all it would take. There is a very real chance they whiff on all 3 of those assets and feel the Sharks would want to guarentee at least one quality serviceable young piece to their roster/core going forward. KConn is by no means a sure thing to be a quality NHLer, Guptill is still learning to adjust to being an adult/pro, and a second is hit or miss.

I believe you'd be looking more along the lines of Dillon/Nemeth/Oleksiak to fill that young LHD request and probably Faksa and a 2nd as prospect and pick. That gives them a top 4 defensive Dman, a very likely 3rd line center and an average pick. I think that's minimum what they'd be looking for.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Why? If he wants to win and sign long term then going someplace with more assets is a better situation than going someplace with fewer assets.

One season and one month of a season are two pretty different set of circumstances. I don't see how Spezza's current situation (in which he has requested a trade) are comparable.

FrailSwan

Feb 26, 2012
I have lost my home
Buy cheap on Gagner is like Connauton for Gagner or ship them Aaron Rome. That's about all I'm willing to pay and I actually like KC.

Point is I'd rather give up something small for Gagner who's not really a solution than actually pay for Richards. He's that bad.

51 points of complete terribleness. The overkill that is the talk of his current-day career is astounding. He's not Gonchar, a true washed up vet.

Kalamazoo Wings

May 4, 2010
Knee Deep

Edmonton would love more cap relief courtesy of Dallas in this scenario. Gagner is as bad as Richards, he's a top 6 mold with no real ability to score at the clip you need him to and no real ability to slot in down the line up unless you are rolling 3 scoring lines. You pay them the same amount on a 2 year deal essentially, Richards might even come cheaper than 5 per.

The only way I go for Gagner and his 10 million still owed is if Gonchar or Cole are part of the deal. Cole may actually be realistic if he'd waive. I think teams know better than to take on Gonchar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad