Speculation: II. 2014 Stars Offseason Thread: Tomahawk Steaks For Everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klockis

Suter stan
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
I don't like the scouting report of Weirioch or Prince. Here's a counter.

Spezza w/ extension (reasonable contract)
Ceci
2014 2nd

for

2014 1st
Ritchie
Dillon
Cole

Swap Ritchie with Chiasson+. I think we're going to regret trading Ritchie.

Last edited:

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
I'd trade for Spezza in a heartbeat. People were bashing Hossa, and look how that turned out for Chicago.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
If Spezza is dealt to the Stars I will have a new second favourite team :nod:

You will be getting a very under appreciated player. Don't judge him based off of what our fickle fan base spews on our board and the main boards about him.

PPG centres don't grow on trees, and if he's put in a situation where he's the #2 guy behind Seguin, he'll be even harder for other teams to contain.

I mean, the guy made Milan Michalek a 35 goal scorer in 2012. We're talking about a guy whose previous career high was 26.

Sure, he has his moments. No player is perfect though, and if you don't think that adding Jason Spezza makes your team a better hockey club, I don't know what to tell you...

I agree with most of this honestly. The issue is cost. Ottawa deserves a very good package. He'll be a very good rental. With an option to actually agree to an extension in place, Dallas' chance of being interested would grow significantly, but I doubt they're prepared to outbid other teams that are looking for a last piece for a Stanley Cup run.

I think Dallas can fill the 2nd line center role without trading the farm .... so they can eventually trade the farm to get the defender they need more.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I'd trade for Spezza in a heartbeat. People were bashing Hossa, and look how that turned out for Chicago.

I don't think one person today questioned what Spezza could offer.

Look at the common theme among most Final 4 teams in the NHL. Quite a few have two decent centers, but nearly all of them have a top defender or two. D is a more important position for playoff success IMO.

When you blow your wad on a 2nd line center, there's not going to be much left to get the D you need.

Edit: One person did I see now, but I'd call that more of a fair critique. If we're going to discount other players because of speed as some have .. it would make sense to comment about why he might not fit exactly.

Morry83

14-90-91
Mar 16, 2013
Benn - Seguin - Ritchie
Dickinson - Spezza - Nichushkin

Imagine that in a few years...glorious.

Acquiring Spezza and signing him for around 6 years would be perfect. It allows Dickinson to get acclimated to the NHL playing alongside Spezza and a 20-21 year old up and coming superstar before moving over to center.

Spezza is so underrated and under appreciated. Like said above, don't listen to fans on a message board, bashing him. He's a PPG, 31 year old, big bodied center. He's perfect for our current situation, and it won't cost what most our anticipating.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Benn - Seguin - Ritchie
Dickinson - Spezza - Nichushkin

Imagine that in a few years...glorious.

Acquiring Spezza and signing him for around 6 years would be perfect. It allows Dickinson to get acclimated to the NHL playing alongside Spezza and a 20-21 year old up and coming superstar before moving over to center.

Spezza is so underrated and under appreciated. Like said above, don't listen to fans on a message board, bashing him. He's a PPG, 31 year old, big bodied center. He's perfect for our current situation, and it won't cost what most our anticipating.

What about Top 6 NHLer, prospect, and 1st sound wrong? I wouldn't be surprised if he was ultimately traded for slightly more or less .... but that's a pretty standard asking price

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
If he wants to win, why would he extend his contract before he was moved? Makes more sense to pull a Richards IMO

Stars90

Sep 24, 2013
Toronto
So if we hypothetically do land Spezza with an extension. What kind of money and term would everyone be happy with?

I'm still not sold that he's worth the price, but if Nill thinks he's the guy then I'll trust him until proven otherwise. If we could do 5x5 I would be happy. Not sure I'd want to go 6x6, but that seems like what he could easily get on the open market.

It's too bad he'll likely be moved by the draft. If he is available after the negotiating period prior to free agency and the Stars acquire him then i'd feel more comfortable that it was the right move. For all we know Stasny is just drooling to come to Texas and it would be a shame to lose out on a free (asset-wise) centreman because we paid for Spezza too soon.

SolidusAKA

Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Benn – Seguin – Val
Sceviour – Spezza – Ritchie
Roussel – Eakin – Garbutt
McKenzie – Horcoff – Glennie

Nemeth, Goligoski
Weircioch, Daley
Benn – Kconn
Gonchar

Chiasson, Dillon, Cole, 14th for Spezza (extended), Weircioch

Is this bad for us or not too bad?

If Murray has his expectations low, I wonder if a lowball of Chiasson, Stransky, and 14th OVA for Spezza and Weircioch would work

Benn – Seguin – Val
Sceviour – Spezza – Ritchie
Roussel – Eakin – Garbutt
McKenzie – Horcoff – Glennie

Dillon, Daley
Nemeth, Goligoski
Weircioch, Benn
Kconn

Buy out Gonchar

Last edited:

Morry83

14-90-91
Mar 16, 2013
What about Top 6 NHLer, prospect, and 1st sound wrong? I wouldn't be surprised if he was ultimately traded for slightly more or less .... but that's a pretty standard asking price

The fact that he does not currently have an extension in place, the center market is quite heavy this year, and Murray has already stated that he does not believe he'll get the value that he thinks Spezza warrants. I personally think that top 6 NHLer, prospect, and a 1st is pretty fair value, but you can be sure that Ritchie, Dillon, Eakin, etc. won't be involved.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Nemeth, Goligoski
Weircioch, Daley
Benn – Kconn
Gonchar

That Dcore looks almost worse than the one that the T-stars have in the finals...

Definitely no, to moving Dillon. Unless it's significant upgrade or a right-handed definite upgrade.

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006
I'm still not sold that he's worth the price, but if Nill thinks he's the guy then I'll trust him until proven otherwise. If we could do 5x5 I would be happy. Not sure I'd want to go 6x6, but that seems like what he could easily get on the open market.

He's definitely worth the price and that term, IMO. I'll just trust that if Nill decides to go all in on getting Spezza, he is sure he can get him signed to a good deal to not make those assets seem wasted due to only having him for one year.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
You don't sell the farm for Spezza unless you're ready to be a contender. We're not near that point at all.

SolidusAKA

Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Is Thornton still on the table in SJS? Do you think they need roster players or futures? Could a deal like Chiasson, Stransky, and a 1st get him or is that an overpayment?

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Trading Dillon for Spezza makes absolutely no sense to me unless Ceci is coming back and even then you'd like to add Ceci to this core not sub him for Dillon.

There are just too many other good options out there that selling significant pieces for Spezza makes no sense for this club.

Stepping away from the 2C talk for a minute does anyone think one of Merrill or Larsson could be available from NJ?

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
Alright, I'm up late, I'm bored, I'll do lists. They're fun. Lists are fun. In order of personal preference-

2C TRADE
1. Spezza
2. Thornton
3. Kesler
4. Vinny
15. Schenn
27. Desharnais

2C FA
1. Stastny
2. Grabovski
3. B. Richards
4. Legwand

D TRADE
1. Myers
2. Phaneuf
3. Ehrhoff

D FA
1. Stralman
2. Stralman
3. Fayne
4. Tallinder

Sports

Jul 12, 2011
Grabo is actually my favorite option.
Fix your 2C problem for "free" and see if him and Nooch have any chemistry.
Or just dismantle the defense throwing all assets at Spezza and let Kari go back to facing 40+ shots a night. :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad