Speculation: II. 2014 Stars Offseason Thread: Tomahawk Steaks For Everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Other people are high on Legwand, and while he's not the guy I'd be most excited about, I think glove made a reasonable case weeks ago that he's likely in the mix. That's why I mentioned him again.

He's safe and boring to me, and I think that's the case for several people. That said, safe and boring gets you 40 to 50 points every year and solid defensive play. I'm more on board if he had top notch wingers ... like we knew for sure Nichushkin takes a similar leap forward as other recent top draft picks in their 19/20 year old season and is prepared to carry a line ... but that's no guarantee.

Klockis

Suter stan
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
I don't think we need a 2C center as much as we need to have another forward who can create a lot of chances for himself and his teammates. Legwand would be a good 2c if we could get a good winger for him. Chicago doesn't have a good 2c but they manage because of great winger depth, if we could get our Hossa we could suddenly have our 2nd scoring line.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
IMO .. you're not adding that guy via free agency at all. That's Stastny, Cammalleri, Vanek, etc .. and while there's no reason to debate again, I believe Nill when he said none of the free agents are high end players ... they are secondary guys. I then interpret that as we're not going to pay 5 to 7 year deals paying out $6 million + ... likely into $7 million for those names. I get if someone else believes that means something different.

Based on what Lobo heard at the season ticket event though ... Lobo correct me if I remember this incorrectly ... I thought he said Nill specifically mentioned 2nd line center.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Found it:

Bill Simpson ‏@GunnerStar99

Nill talking about how free agent market has dried up, but will look at it for 2nd line center

So again ... interpret as you see fit ... I originally though that meant they might go after Stastny. Based on his Norm 1310 Ticket interview and this ... I think he's looking at guys like Grabovski ... Legwand ... Richards if he was bought out.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Back to what glove was saying about adding two centers. I finally had time to look at the numbers.

Buyout Gonchar (regular), Cole (compliance), Rome (compliance) = $47.65 ($14.35 budget space)

Gives you:

Benn-Seguin-Nichushkin
Peverley-XXXX-Chiasson
Roussel-Eakin-Garbutt
Horcoff-XXXX-Sceviour

Goligoski-Daley
Benn-Dillon
Connauton-Nemeth

Lehtonen

You could in theory swap Edler for Chiasson+, sign a $6 million center (not average/front loaded), sign a $1.75 million center, add McKenzie or Richie to the Top 6, have Glennie or Jeffrey as a 13th, and sign a $1 million backup.

You'd be spending approximately $61.35 in cash.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Yea, he mentioned it a couple times. I was shocked at how direct about it he was.

Yeah would you mentioned that previously me it ended the debate about how they see Eakin's upside at center.

I still think he could carve out a career scoring 40 or 50 points a year which is an average 2nd line center, but doing that on the third line is a huge bonus.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Also ... while looking up Edler's #'s ... I'd pretty much guaranteed you Vancouver either trade him at the draft or he's not traded at all.

Edler is due a $2 million signing bonus on July 1st. Unlike Toronto and NY, they don't have money to burn, and unlike Phaneuf, there's no debate about whether or not money needs to be retained. Edler is underpaid for who he is.

He's a long shot, but that's one way to add two centers and a potential top pair D.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Bruce LeVine ‏@BruceLeVinePuck

Jim Nill in USA Today: "Some teams are going to be looking to move some salaries, and I just have a feeling there could be a lot of moves,"

Going to find the story.

EDIT:Here it is.

It's about trades on draft day.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
I'm not advocating but would there be any interest in Josh Bailey if swapped for Gonchar or Cole? Basically if he was given away. The only plus I see is that he's played wing for the last two seasons and he's not a winger. If moved back to center and given proper linemates he could be an option. Not my first, or second or third but a possibility. Though at that point I think I'd rather kick the tires on Gagner or Ennis, neither of whom enamor me much.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I'm not advocating but would there be any interest in Josh Bailey if swapped for Gonchar or Cole? Basically if he was given away. The only plus I see is that he's played wing for the last two seasons and he's not a winger. If moved back to center and given proper linemates he could be an option. Not my first, or second or third but a possibility. Though at that point I think I'd rather kick the tires on Gagner or Ennis, neither of whom enamor me much.

I actually tried to form an opinion on that last night but I got tired head and gave up. He caught my eye looking at their cap situation.

I think you're barking up a reasonable tree, but I wouldn't be thrilled.

Gonchar might make some sense ... Cole not so much. Why not just pay several million dollars to keep a young commodity you know at the same position than dump him for essentially nothing? Defense is something they've been trying to improve a while, but I like their young defenders. Gonchar may not be an upgrade.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
I'm basically with you but for a straight cap dump I might be willing to take the risk.

There were a few comments about Bailey from management this late in the season, as reported by Arthur Staple. Essentially, they don't want to give up on Bailey because they feel he could be another Okposo - a guy who finally gets his head together.

There is basically no chance they Isles just give him away. In fact, given the lack of potential value in a trade, I will be very surprised if he is moved at all. The Islanders think he'll still develop and they can't get anything in a deal for him anyway. So, I believe he'll be in NY for at least another season.

I also don't think he works as a center. He is way more effective on the wing and was used almost exclusively there in the last year.

Sadly, I agree with the poster above who thinks the Isles may have rushed him.

I don't see the Isles and Dallas as trade partners. We have mostly mid round picks and potentially Frans Nielsen to move, and that's about it.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
There were a few comments about Bailey from management this late in the season, as reported by Arthur Staple. Essentially, they don't want to give up on Bailey because they feel he could be another Okposo - a guy who finally gets his head together.

There is basically no chance they Isles just give him away. In fact, given the lack of potential value in a trade, I will be very surprised if he is moved at all. The Islanders think he'll still develop and they can't get anything in a deal for him anyway. So, I believe he'll be in NY for at least another season.

I also don't think he works as a center. He is way more effective on the wing and was used almost exclusively there in the last year.

Sadly, I agree with the poster above who thinks the Isles may have rushed him.

I don't see the Isles and Dallas as trade partners. We have mostly mid round picks and potentially Frans Nielsen to move, and that's about it.

I understand why NYI wouldn't dump him. There's always hope and basically giving him away doesn't add anything other than some roster flexibility and since you guys have so much cap space available that's not a priority anyway. I wouldn't gamble on him but he is a guy who may need a change of scenery to finally emerge and quite frankly we've gone through the litany of who might possibly be available to fill our 2C hole. His is just one of 20 names that's come up.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Hey Darth,

Would you comment on the chances of the Isles taking Gonchar at $2.5 million?

I think Dallas is shopping him hard, and his value is essentially nothing. Some Pittsburgh media speculated IIRC that they thought he might be a welcome addition for Malkin, but I figured I'd ask.

Are the young defenders with the Isles ready to make the jump or would Snow take a chance on a half price veteran possibly bouncing back returning to the East?

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
Hey Darth,

Would you comment on the chances of the Isles taking Gonchar at $2.5 million?

I think Dallas is shopping him hard, and his value is essentially nothing. Some Pittsburgh media speculated IIRC that they thought he might be a welcome addition for Malkin, but I figured I'd ask.

Are the young defenders with the Isles ready to make the jump or would Snow take a chance on a half price veteran possibly bouncing back returning to the East?

Assuming everybody is healthy (and, let's face it, that is a huge assumption):

Hamonic - de Haan
Vish - Reinhart
Hickey/Czuzman/Carkner/Strait

I don't see any need for Gonchar.

The variable could be if Vish's concusion kept him out of the lineup, Isles were unable to acquire other vets. I don't see them going into the season with two rookies in the top four. So, in that case, they'd have to look for a vet somewhere.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Good article from DBD on why Phaneuf could be a nice fit here. Key word is "could".

That article is not correct.

He's not due $21.5 million in 2 years. He's due $16 million. Signing bonuses are not extra. They are 100% included as salary.

Therefore, if he has a salary of $8 million. The signing bonus is not in addition to the salary, it's part of. Year 1, on July 1st, they immediately pay him $3.5 million .... a signing bonus. He's paid $4.5 million the remainder of the season ... spread out from October to April.

The July 1st signing bonus is one of the best things about the contract. If Toronto traded him after that date, you'd only owe him $45.5 million over 7 years.

This article is misleading because the contract is explained incorrectly.

Klockis

Suter stan
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
That article is not correct.

He's not due $21.5 million in 2 years. He's due $16 million. Signing bonuses are not extra. They are 100% included as salary.

Therefore, if he has a salary of $8 million. The signing bonus is not in addition to the salary, it's part of. Year 1, on July 1st, they immediately pay him $3.5 million .... a signing bonus. He's paid $4.5 million the remainder of the season ... spread out from October to April.

The July 1st signing bonus is one of the best things about the contract. If Toronto traded him after that date, you'd only owe him $45.5 million over 7 years.

This article is misleading because the contract is explained incorrectly.

Second time they got contracts wrong in a short period of time. Don't get me wrong, they have some great writers there, but for some reason I find those kind off mistakes annoying. :laugh:

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Second time they got contracts wrong in a short period of time. Don't get me wrong, they have some great writers there, but for some reason I find those kind off mistakes annoying. :laugh:

Yes ... for sure. Now I don't want to be a total ass about it so I'll say the Cap Geek format is confusing for someone that didn't know salary in the NHL literally means salary + signing bonus.

Cap Geek lists the salary on their page as $8 million which is 100% correct if you read the definitions in the CBA, but no random person is going to know that off hand. Then they list the signing bonus next to it ... close to it.

It looks like $8 + $3.5 million unless you know who the CBA defines salary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad