Speculation: II. 2014 Stars Offseason Thread: Tomahawk Steaks For Everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolidusAKA

Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Grabo is actually my favorite option.
Fix your 2C problem for "free" and see if him and Nooch have any chemistry.
Or just dismantle the defense throwing all assets at Spezza and let Kari go back to facing 40+ shots a night. :sarcasm:

I do like the sound of free.

Benn - Seguin - X/Peverley
Val - Garbo - Ritchie
Roussel -Eakin - Garbutt
Glennie - Horcoff - Chiasson

Dillon/Nemeth/Daley/Goligoski/Stralman/Benn/Kconn/Gonchar...

Primetimey*

Grabo is probably going back to Washington. Can't see Ottawa giving up Ceci in a Spezza trade. No way they move him.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
That Dcore looks almost worse than the one that the T-stars have in the finals...

Definitely no, to moving Dillon. Unless it's significant upgrade or a right-handed definite upgrade.

Ceci is a righty. Probably fairly equal to Dillon give or take. That's why I threw him in there.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
If he wants to win, why would he extend his contract before he was moved? Makes more sense to pull a Richards IMO

That's why I want to see the Garrioch article the guy claimed to exist. The thing that makes much more sense is to jump to a contender to go all in for a Cup next year, and then he could get the money in the summer.

I think he'll see Stastny's contract and go to free agency.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
The fact that he does not currently have an extension in place, the center market is quite heavy this year, and Murray has already stated that he does not believe he'll get the value that he thinks Spezza warrants. I personally think that top 6 NHLer, prospect, and a 1st is pretty fair value, but you can be sure that Ritchie, Dillon, Eakin, etc. won't be involved.

That's exactly what most people have said would happen. I think you should have specified what Sens fans expect. With an extension, that's what most Dallas fans expected.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Ceci is a righty. Probably fairly equal to Dillon give or take. That's why I threw him in there.

That proposal had Wiercioch. But yes Ceci is quite good and a righty. That is a borderline would do/ would not... Would hate to lose Dillon anyway.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Is Thornton still on the table in SJS? Do you think they need roster players or futures? Could a deal like Chiasson, Stransky, and a 1st get him or is that an overpayment?

No. Even another article came out today ... This one from the local paper .... saying if those two players even consider waiving their NMC ... there's little chance the team will get assets back that could help the team this season.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/sharks/sharks-mailbag-equal-return-thornton-marleau

That's what I've been trying to say for a couple weeks. Like the article says ... The GM's motivation is a culture change. He's likely accepted trading either player would have a negative impact on the teams talent next year.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
No. Even another article came out today ... This one from the local paper .... saying if those two players even consider waiving their NMC ... there's little chance the team will get assets back that could help the team this season.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/sharks/sharks-mailbag-equal-return-thornton-marleau

That's what I've been trying to say for a couple weeks. Like the article says ... The GM's motivation is a culture change. He's likely accepted trading either player would have a negative impact on the teams talent next year.

Did you happen to watch any of those videos? Wilson uses the phrase "one step back to take two steps forward" when talking about making plans for the long term. He's totally willing to make the team worse in the short term to make that team belong to the Pavelski, Couture, Hertl, Nieto type players.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Yeah its not that much different than what Nieuwy did. The difference is SJ is a playoff contender that just can't push past the top in the West.

The difficult part to acquiring Thornton probably isn't the assets, it's convincing him to leave California.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Yeah, we aren't exactly a Cup contender yet.

I think piqued previously made some decent points about why he might pick Dallas, but Thornton doesn't have to accept a trade to even one team. I'd imagine his list will be extremely short ... shorter than Kesler's. I would guess this situation would be closer to Iginla's in terms of how much control the player exerts.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I think piqued previously made some decent points about why he might pick Dallas, but Thornton doesn't have to accept a trade to even one team. I'd imagine his list will be extremely short ... shorter than Kesler's. I would guess this situation would be closer to Iginla's in terms of how much control the player exerts.

Yeah, and I made a similar case for why Dallas might be an option for him as well. Taking a step back, I think we are a long shot at best. Wilson seems more interested in the culture change and the player does have a NMC so he probably only goes somewhere he wants to. I'm having a really hard time thinking of where that might be. Tampa Bay comes to mind as a place with a solid team, cap space, and out of the limelight.

How crazy does the idea of a Kesler for Thornton swap sound? Probably not realistic. The weird thing is that Anaheim is probably the best fit for any big name center but at least those two guys are in the same division.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I'm also not sold that he's afraid of the limelight more than San Jose is just a great place to live. It's a comfortable life .... part of the reason for the culture change.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Thornton wouldn't waive for a Canadian team, even though I'm sure he'd love the city of Vancouver. He wants away from the spotlight and the demands, Canucks fans and media are the exact opposite of that. Tampa, Nashville or Dallas would work for that but none of them are California and the lifestyle he prefers.

Going to be very interesting with him. Would love to have him. Don't expect him to waive to come here but hope Nill makes his pitch.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I'm also not sold that he's afraid of the limelight more than San Jose is just a great place to live. It's a comfortable life .... part of the reason for the culture change.

Just going on a hunch. He's never come across as the kind of guy who has the temperament to deal with excessive media questioning. Vancouver is probably the only Canadian city I could see him going to. His personality and lifestyle preferences are sure to be the first questions put to him if he goes to a big market team (not that he can't necessarily handle that). "Joe, Joe! Why was [some team] able to get you for pennies on the dollar?"

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I just think if Brad Richards can end up in NY ... I'm not going to eliminate the possibility of Thornton landing in a hockey market.

I do agree it might seem unlikely though.

Bradyyy93

Jun 14, 2014
Long time Stars fan, first time poster. Have a couple of thoughts and questions

What would it take for the Stars to move up and acquire Ritchies brother and would it be worth it?

Im also of the firm belief we should put our trade pieces into a RHD top 4 D. Myers would be my first choice. The thought of him and Oleksiak together makes me bubble and it fits our up tempo quick transition game. Larsson would be my 2nd choice. Letang is interesting however I believe size is needed on our back end. Boychuck doesnt really fit the age of our core. Im not sure what other options would be feasible Shattenkirk? I believe we can obtain one of these guys with some sort of package of Chiasson, Guptill, 14Oa, Faksa, Daley, Stransky. Im oppose to moving any of our other pieces as I believe they are key pieces moving forward.

One last thought on our potential roster next season

Benn - Seguin - Glennie
Nichushkin - 2C - Ritchie
Roussel - Eakin - Garbutt
Horcoff - Peverley - Sceviour

Cole in the pressbox/pevs spot/giving the kids a break. We also have Mckenzie knocking on the door if needed. I feel the need to explain Glennie on the top line. My reasoning is Benn and Tyler carry the play and Glennie has proven he can make the most playing with high end talent and is smart enough and has a large enough toolbox to be of assistance to that line. From watching him its easily to tell he doesnt generate his own chances but smart enough to be very good with linemates who open up the ice. When Glennie has confidence he is a very solid player and asset. This also gives us a real scoring threat from our 2nd line. Yes they are young but you can give them sheltered minutes. Our checking line is good enough to play the hard minutes and I think that 4th line is well constructed aswell.

I believe there are a few centers that can thrive on that line. I dont believe we need to push all our trade pieces to get a top end C. We need a filler on a 3-4 year deal who can distribute the puck to his big strong wingers. Who are the best skaters/playmaking centers on the market? Grabo?

As for the D I believe we arent far off from a respectable D core.

Nemeth - Rhd (Myers?)
Goligoski - Dillon
Benn - Kling/Oleksiak/Kc (whoever earns the spot in camp)

I believe we can win with that D core. Im also assuming Daley would be part of a package for a D, if he isnt even better the kids can grow some more.

Im looking forward to contributing here and wanted to encourage some dialogue/make the most of my first post

Last edited:

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
If you wanted to know what Scott Glennie is probably worth ..... barely more than Lane MacDermid.

MTL traded Louis Leblanc for a conditional 5th round pick in 2015 to Anaheim.

The condition is likely that he signs a contract. It's a pick next year because you don't have to qualify RFAs until June 30th (after the draft), and most RFAs tend to sign even later in the summer.

MetalGodAOD*

Leblanc's development has been even worse than Glennie's (not disagreeing with you Big, just an observation).

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Leblanc's development has been even worse than Glennie's (not disagreeing with you Big, just an observation).

I'd say they're pretty similar, but yeah I'd still give Glennie the edge even though Leblanc at least spent some time in the NHL.

Glennie for sure has been better lately.

I'll say this though, part of it could be they were just done with him, but I wonder how much waivers played a role. If they didn't see him cracking their Top 14 at the beginning of the season, maybe they feared his ability to clear waivers. I'd say he'd have a better chance than Glennie.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Waivers actually could be it. With RFA's ... they have 13 forwards. I think they'd sign all the RFAs, and Moen could get bought out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad