Friedman: Iginla willing to waive his NMC this season

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
everyone thought he was going to be a great fit in Pittsburgh and look how that turned out

An idiot coach played a career RW on the LW and partnered him with the wrong center for his style of play and he still put up 12 points in 15 playoff games.

Ultimately what happened nearly 4 years ago is irrelevant for what he is today, but blaming Iginla for Pittsburgh's failure in that Boston series would be like blaming a tree for a forest fire.

Last edited:

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013
LA continues to look like the best spot for him. They're closer to bubble then they are contender, but LA can offer Iggy both top line minutes and PP time, as well as reunite him with Sutter, who he was productive under. For LA, the value is there as a risk free rental option who can be acquired for cheap, especially if COL is looking to offload him like it sounds. If you do Purcell+pick for Iggy at 50%, you can probably make it work cap wise. Question is what's the pick? LA's shouldn't be looking to pay high prices for rentals this year.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Zero chance Iginla waives to go to Edmonton no matter how good they are playing. He is not throwing his Flames legacy away to join our most hated rival who is not a SC contender yet.

Iginla is a St. Albert boy you know...

But I doubt he goes to the Oilers. Not because Iginla would refuse, but because he's not what they really need if they're going to make a playoff run.

And is it too early to talk about the OIlers in the playoffs? :sarcasm:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
IMO, he would be a good fit in:

Chicago, Washington, Los Angeles, Anaheim.

I could still see him in:

Dallas, Montreal, NY Rangers, Tampa.

In some fictional universe where the Capitals didn't have Justin Williams, Iginla might make sense. But the Capitals have Williams, so there's no real need or place for Iggy. The Capitals need to get faster as it is, and Iginla does the exact opposite of that. Adding another slow veteran presence isn't this team's need.

Also, salary cap concerns.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Because Sullivan would use him right unlike Blysma side it's use a 3rd to get him come deadline to add depth for the playoffs. But his lack of speed probably wouldn't work in our current system. So I'm not 100% sold on him with the Pens.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
It will be fascinating seeing how much he goes for.

He looks very washed up on Colorado and has a huge cap hit relative to his production, but I could see how a GM might look at him and think he could "fix" him and benefit from his experience and leadership.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Because Sullivan would use him right unlike Blysma side it's use a 3rd to get him come deadline to add depth for the playoffs. But his lack of speed probably wouldn't work in our current system. So I'm not 100% sold on him with the Pens.

The cap hit alone, even at 50% at the deadline, is likely enough to make it a non-starter for the Pens...but even if he was used properly this time around where would Iggy even fit amongst the RW depth? Hörnqvist, Kessel, & Rust are better than Iginla today and Kühnhackl and Fehr are better fits for the fourth line.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Zero chance Iginla waives to go to Edmonton no matter how good they are playing. He is not throwing his Flames legacy away to join our most hated rival who is not a SC contender yet.

Yah, him throwing his "Flames legacy" away is probably more on the fans then the club. Pretty sure Alfredsson's legacy with the Senators remains intact despite him saying he's never going to win there..and asked for a trade.

Grant Fuhr finished his career as a Flame...no one around here will ever hold that against him based on his accomplishments with the team. Steve Staois finished his career a Flamer...played in the Oilers alumni game in Winnipeg.

If he feels he can win a Cup here...he'll come. I however believe he wont be coming here simply because I don't believe this team is a cup contender just yet...never know though

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
It will be fascinating seeing how much he goes for.

He looks very washed up on Colorado and has a huge cap hit relative to his production, but I could see how a GM might look at him and think he could "fix" him and benefit from his experience and leadership.

Avs IMO are too much of a run and gun team...he'd be better on a team with a more structured offense like LA, SJ, ANA.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
On HNIC tonight, Elliotte Friedman says that the word out of Colorado is that Jarome Iginla is willing to waive his NMC this year and that it's expected Colorado will accommodate him.

Does this come as a surprise to anyone? Players are usually willing to waive if they are playing on a team near the bottom of the league.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I hope he goes somewhere and wins a cup. That said, he can't even catch and receive passes at this point in his career. Honestly Iggy doesn't look like an NHL level player right now, nobody is going to give up assets for an expensive healthy scratch.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I hope this happens. I doubt Iginla will win a cup so he might as well go back home.

Honestly I'd rather see him get one more chance in the playoffs. I mean, if he really wants to come back to the Flames it'd be great to watch him for a few more games, but even a 10-20% shot at the cup with a team like SJ or LA would be preferable from my perspective.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I hope he goes somewhere and wins a cup. That said, he can't even catch and receive passes at this point in his career. Honestly Iggy doesn't look like an NHL level player right now, nobody is going to give up assets for an expensive healthy scratch.

If you were to say that in October or even last year you would have been beaten to it by me since that was always my description. Right now though that's not the case. Over the last month or so since Iggy has had his minutes lowered he has been playing much better. More confidence with the puck and as per usual he's giving 110% every night. Obviously he's not the Iginla of old but he's an NHL'er right now. At least he is based on his last month or so. Not a great one, but a depth player who can play a 3rd/4th line role decently.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
Likely this is Iggy's last season. ****ing sucks. I hope he gets traded to a contender. Unfortunately he wouldn't fit in our system.

I think the Flames are on the brink of contender status and who knows, maybe they get even hotter in the second half and he goes home for a run. Win or lose that'd be a nice finish.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Yah, him throwing his "Flames legacy" away is probably more on the fans then the club. Pretty sure Alfredsson's legacy with the Senators remains intact despite him saying he's never going to win there..and asked for a trade.

Grant Fuhr finished his career as a Flame...no one around here will ever hold that against him based on his accomplishments with the team. Steve Staois finished his career a Flamer...played in the Oilers alumni game in Winnipeg.

If he feels he can win a Cup here...he'll come. I however believe he wont be coming here simply because I don't believe this team is a cup contender just yet...never know though

Agreed. If he felt Edmonton gave him a legitimate shot at a cup, he'd take it. I'd have no problems seeing him in an Oilers jersey either. I might even be tempted to cheer for them in that situation.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
If I'm a contender, i probably stay away from him because he seems to be one of those players that are just destined to never win a CUP.

Same as Timonen, Bourque etc.

Iginla is done though. He has nothing to bring to table, but I think some GM will still trade for him in desperation.

Omac13

Sep 10, 2010
Newfoundland
As a Leafs fan I would love to have Iggy on our 4th line.

Now with that said , Leafs do not fit into that mold as a "contender" this yearn and I do not think for a second the leafs would go after him nor would he be willing to wave to come here because he will want to go to a cup contending team or just stay right where he is.

I am just saying he is the kind of Veteran that guys like Matthews, Marner, Nylander , Brown, Hyman can most certainly learn from.

Iggy could even get on Matthews line for a few shifts every game.

Again before you rip me I know its not going to happen just like the player for a veteran presence role and mentor.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Agreed. If he felt Edmonton gave him a legitimate shot at a cup, he'd take it. I'd have no problems seeing him in an Oilers jersey either. I might even be tempted to cheer for them in that situation.

I'd be having an existential crisis :laugh:. I wouldn't hold it against him though honestly. If he thought he had a chance to win with them, he should go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad