Friedman: Iginla willing to waive his NMC this season

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON
It says eh wants to go to a contender so this is probably a moot post but I figure ill make it anyway as it could have some validity

Iggy to Edmonton at the trade deadline would be a really smart pick up for them provided they are in playoff hunt. It would bring him home, it would provide Edmonton with an incredible leader and role model if only for 20-30 games, he could get re-motivated and be a ok depth option at 5x5 and he could be used on the PP. But biggest benefit will just be having him around as a mentor and guy some of the players can model their games after

If the price was right they should look into it

Iggy and Mike Green to Edmonton at TDL if Edmonton is trying for a playoff push to make it in and those teams are out could be 2 smart moves

Zero chance Iginla waives to go to Edmonton no matter how good they are playing. He is not throwing his Flames legacy away to join our most hated rival who is not a SC contender yet.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Zero chance Iginla waives to go to Edmonton no matter how good they are playing. He is not throwing his Flames legacy away to join our most hated rival who is not a SC contender yet.

That's awesome that you know Iggy personally

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
That's awesome that you know Iggy personally
One doesn't necessarily doesn't need to know him personally to know he loved putting a beat-down against his birth town more than anywhere else, he also knows he'd look stupid wearing oiler silks considering he'll be a first ballad HOF'er wearing the flaming C.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Who would want Iginla? He can't produce anymore, he's never been much of a leader/winner and he has a monster caphit.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Who would want Iginla? He can't produce anymore, he's never been much of a leader/winner and he has a monster caphit.

not-sure-if-serious.jpg

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016

I'm just saying he choked in the finals in 04 and could never get past the first round again in Calgary disappearing when it mattered most. I'll never forget him getting out played by a 38 year old JR in one of his classic chokes to the Sharks.

Then he went to Pittsburgh and flopped... then he jumped ship to Boston and lost in the 2nd round to Montreal...

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
IMO, he would be a good fit in:

Chicago, Washington, Los Angeles, Anaheim.

I could still see him in:

Dallas, Montreal, NY Rangers, Tampa.

Not interested at all. Iginla is close to done and we dont need another forward, and we cant give away any more prospects or picks either.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015

He isnt very good anymore but he was elite in his prime and a captain for many years in Calgary. Alternate captain for Canada and scored a point per game when Canada won the Olympics in Vancouver and he is a future HOF.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
He isnt very good anymore but he was elite in his prime and a captain for many years in Calgary. Alternate captain for Canada and scored a point per game when Canada won the Olympics in Vancouver and he is a future HOF.

Yes, he used to be very good in the regular season but that didn't translate to playing well in the playoffs...always a disappointment from what we saw in the regular season from him where he used to be one of the best.

Everyone wins on Canada, I don't really consider that a big accomplishment really and even in 2010 I believe almost all his points came against Norway, Germany, Denmark...

Yes, he is a future hall of famer.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
If the Oilers are in the hunt by the TDL ..Id welcome him here...1) to stick it to Flames fans (payback for Grant Fuhr lol) 2) Added RW depth.

But, id be surprised if he waived to come here..simply because he want to be on a contender.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Yes, he used to be very good in the regular season but that didn't translate to playing well in the playoffs...always a disappointment from what we saw in the regular season from him where he used to be one of the best.

Everyone wins on Canada, I don't really consider that a big accomplishment really and even in 2010 I believe almost all his points came against Norway, Germany, Denmark...

Yes, he is a future hall of famer.

Actually, he was pretty good in the playoffs...and he was only in the playoffs 5 out of 16 years in CGY.

68 pts in 81 games is pretty respectable. Considering his center was Craig Conroy for the majority of his time in CGY

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Actually, he was pretty good in the playoffs...and he was only in the playoffs 5 out of 16 years in CGY.

68 pts in 81 games is pretty respectable. Considering his center was Craig Conroy for the majority of his time in CGY

He was also grossly misused by that idiot Bylsma in Pittsburgh.

I can't see any contender showing any real interest until the trade deadline...and even then it'd take Colorado retaining 50% and getting a conditional pick in return and I still see very few teams biting. It'll take a bubble team with cap space wanting a veteran leader.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Colorado needs to clean house in the worst way.

So much blame was put on Roy for their struggles but Sakic equally has no clue how to run a team

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
Stability and he thought Roy and Sakic were building something special while Duchene, MacKinnon, Landeskog and Johnson were a good core that contend for the cup while he provided veteran support. He was wrong; Sakic and Roy had no idea what they were doing while the core has been massively underwhelming to the point where a 39 year old was relied on to carry the team.

Hopefully he gets traded a well run organization and finally wins a cup.

39 year old was relied on? Just stop. This is a thread about Iggy not bashing the Avalanche.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I'm just saying he choked in the finals in 04 and could never get past the first round again in Calgary disappearing when it mattered most. I'll never forget him getting out played by a 38 year old JR in one of his classic chokes to the Sharks.

Then he went to Pittsburgh and flopped... then he jumped ship to Boston and lost in the 2nd round to Montreal...

This is unquestionably the stupidest thing I've read in the last few days. First stupid thing: blaming a single forward for the failures of his teams. Second stupid thing: saying someone failed to perform with 68 points in 81 playoff games. Maybe you should stop watching hockey and watch something a little less complicated with less activity, like baseball. Might be more your speed.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
He was also grossly misused by that idiot Bylsma in Pittsburgh.

Yup, this one still hurts me to this day. I was so happy when Shero managed to land Iggy. But of course, Bylsma had to keep together the mythical KCD line or put Iginla on his off wing because #family. Even when it was not working. At that time, he would have been a gem with Crosby.

Not saying this was the difference in getting past Boston, because it wasnt. But There was so much hooplah about getting him to the Pens and then after 30 games it was all over without so much as an honest try. 12 points in 15 playoff games too, so he was still producing well. His one timer was a thing of beauty.

Anyway, I'm sad its gonna end like this for him. Hope he gets traded to a contender with retention and can win himself a cup.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
IMO, he would be a good fit in:

Chicago, Washington, Los Angeles, Anaheim.

I could still see him in:

Dallas, Montreal, NY Rangers, Tampa.

Sometimes you can just overkill by adding these players. Or you can mess up chemistry built through the season by bringing this random "intangibles" in. That player comes in and takes the spot of someone who was performing well for you and doesn't perform as well. That other player might have done something good for you.
Teams like Montreal,Rangers,etc. are very good in their own right and have legit shots to win it all. Perhaps depth in case of injury is required but not something that is going to shuffle your lineup. A lineup that has you as a legit contender.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Sometimes you can just overkill by adding these players. Or you can mess up chemistry built through the season by bringing this random "intangibles" in. That player comes in and takes the spot of someone who was performing well for you and doesn't perform as well. That other player might have done something good for you.
Teams like Montreal,Rangers,etc. are very good in their own right and have legit shots to win it all. Perhaps depth in case of injury is required but not something that is going to shuffle your lineup. A lineup that has you as a legit contender.

everyone thought he was going to be a great fit in Pittsburgh and look how that turned out

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad