OT: Iginla Traded To Pittsburgh

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
The Penguins have 7 NHL roster spots to fill with just under 11 million dollars next year.

Some of the FA's they have to decide on will include Iginla, Morrow, Murray, Kennedy, Cooke, and Dupuis.

They can probably get Iginla, Morrow, Murray, and possibly Cooke to take less on their next deal but even that might be a stretch is some of their cases. The others will be due raises.

Just those 6 players are making 19 million this season. Then the following year they have Malkin, Letang, Orpik and Kunitz to deal with.

Penguins are never all in as long as they have Crosby and Malkin signed but this is pretty close to it. Worst case scenario it'll be Hawks 2.0 without the cup. Iginla(Hossa) might stay, but they'll lose significant veteran depth one way or the other. Cooke, Kunitz, Orpik, Dupuis are exactly the type of guys that can cash in on the market.

Kiddington

Nov 3, 2008
Reno, NV
Man, if they somehow don't win it all now...

Gotta give credit to Shero for going all-in like this, though. In today's play-it-safe league where anybody and everybody is scared stiff to move picks/prospects (except in the case of Quincey MY GOD HOLLAND WHAT THE **** :shakehead), it's nice to see someone actually throw caution to the wind, even at the expense of the future, and just go for it. It's why I still can't begrudge the Hawks for doing the same thing in 09-10, even when it clearly cost them two very mediocre years following that Cup (but they got a Cup of it, so yeah). It might not be the best managerial style, but from a backseat fan perspective, it sure beats the hell out of Holland's "play ultra conservative 99% of the time, then just dump a 1st for yesterday's trash" bit. Seriously, wtf, I don't even...

The pressure is certainly starting to build, though. Like I said, if they somehow don't win it all now (and really, who's left to even stop them?)... oooooh maaaaan...

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
Rather off myself than see the Penguins win with this cap-hacked conspiracy for Crosby after aquiring Murray, Morrow, Iginla, and STILL maybe Clowe

Night....

Adityase

Mar 27, 2002
Troy, MI
Visit site
Not a single intelligent thought has come out of his mouth since he got a permanent case of butt-hurt after being traded away from the Red Wings in 1997.

Hey, I love Ward if only because he was a Wolverine... but yeah, he actually made dumb comments about the locals when on the Adirondack Wings that kinda proved he was someone who spoke before he thought in general.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Personally, I like Iginla. As much as I detest Crosby, I'm going to have a hard time rooting against Iginla unless he's playing against Detroit -- which I don't expect.

The Pens were one of my favorites until Doucheby showed his doucheyness as a rookie. Always loved the Igloo, liked Lemieux and rooted for those guys hard when they won their cups in the early 90s.

By the same token, I'll always root for a Montreal. I like Chicago a lot, too, because I like their players and I knew Quenneville's family.

I always liked the Sharks as an expansion team -- even though they killed us that year with the Osgood goal. I hate Thornton. But I like Stuart. So if the Sharks were in the cup final, i could root for Stuart.

I never thought I could root for the Bruins, as a kid who grew up rooting for the Habs, and yet, while I wanted fans in Vancouver to win their cup, I soon realized I could not cheer for the Sedins, and found myself rooting for the Bruins.

I guess I don't laugh at "fanbases." There are some fans who troll hfboards, acting superior, bashing fans of tough teams, bashing fans of Canadian teams, bashing fans of rival teams, bashing fans of any team that I might fear is better than my team, or bashing fans of defensemen who might be better than my favorite defenseman....

What I will do is engage anyone -- friend or foe -- in a debate. I don't care if you're a Wings fan or a Crosby fan, a Penguins fan or a Datsyuk fan. If you say something I think is off the wall, I'll let you know

I don't really think of it as laughing at a fanbase. Its more hoping to be able to laugh at the organization.

Of course I only get to do so if they don't succeed and I don't know how they could be anything but the favorite.

I've got nothing against Iginla, Crosby or anyone else on the Pens, I just generally don't cheer for anything good to happen to any other team as long as the Wings season is alive. If/When they are eliminated I normally cheer for the biggest underdog.

Christien

May 1, 2010
Wings fans already laughing at the potential failure of the Penguins.

Can't fail if you don't try, right? That must be Kenny Holland's motto these days

Probably. & so what if we're laughing at the potential failure of the Penguins? You don't think it would be funny if they got eliminated in the first round? You're way to serious...

LeftBackLegend

Oct 15, 2011
****ing hell if that isn't an all chips in move. Very interesting to see how it pans out. Hoping they crash and burn of course.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
Interesting bit of drama in the bidding between Boston and Pittsburgh for him. The key seemed to be that Feaster wanted the guaranteed first that Pittsburgh offered vs the conditional first (conditional on Jarome re-upping) from Boston.

Reading between the lines a bit, it seems Pittsburgh is happy with Iginla being a rental, wheras Boston wanted more of a commitment.

Sweet irony: Boston wins the Cup and Jarome re-ups with Calgary in the off-season.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Kunitz - Crosby - Iginla
Morrow - Malkin - Neal

Heh, Game oooooverrrrr! :sarcasm:

They are definitely stacking up for a run this year. Let's see how it works out, won't be rooting for them though.

I don't think Detroit were in a position to make this trade. They could've overpaid and gotten Iginla, but I don't think anyone is confident for this year anyways.

Yeah you should try, but Iginla isn't worth it IMO.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Unless the Wings get out of the West...they're not going to have to worry about that dog fight in East. The Pens are going to be tough once Letang and Malkin are back...the goaltending isn't a sure thing but I'd still like their chances with Fleury/Vokoun and that team in front of them.

As far as teams in the West...Chicago (when) healthy can go head-to-head with that lineup and Anaheim has had flashes of being a contender. The Kings need to improve their defense. I've been waiting for the Blues to wake up again and we've seen the Wild warm up of late. Detroit is probably a 4th or 5th best team in the West at best...they need to do something about their blue line and get healthy up front...namely, Helm needs to be ready for the playoffs.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills

Can't fail if you don't try, right? That must be Kenny Holland's motto these days

I wish you had that same motto back when we argued about Holland potentially trading for Hossa back in '08.

Shero did it back then with Hossa and now with Iginla. No one saw this coming.

loLZokAY

str8 gonger
Apr 11, 2011
I'm saying Malkin surely recognizes that he could get $10M on the open market and wouldn't have to play second fiddle to Crosby to boot.

Actually quotes from Malkin have said otherwise. He doesn't like attention or the spotlight so he loves Pittsburgh. Crosby keeps the main spotlight and it would only get worse if he did move. Crosby also said he didn't mind if Malkin made more money than him. Understandably though, they are going to have some rough times signing Malkin and Letang unless both are ready for discounts.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Holy... Shero's going bargain bin shopping and picking up diamonds. What the heck. This isn't even proper market value. Holland better make a move while prices are low.

JBauerly97

Jan 8, 2013
Coldwater, MI
Pitt's D still isn't all that great and MAF isn't a great goalie. If he doesn't play lights out, as good as Pitt is up front, I think teams can beat them still.

But damn that was confusing, woke up at 2 am and started reading tweets about Boston and then out of nowhwere Pitt, I was like huh, wtf???? :help:

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
all the so called Wings fans who are hoping the Pens lose in the first round sound like high school losers who when they ask the prom queen to go to the big dance but are denied and rejected in front of everyone, start spreading rumours about her.

[mod]

if not Detroit then we should ALL be hoping Pittsburgh wins the cup.

why? because maybe it gets more GM's to stop from just sitting on their thumbs and actively go out and try and win championships for their fans(like they're paid to do), year in and year out. Pitssburgh gave up absolutely nothing in the Iggy deal, nothing of any significant value given the return is jarome iginla.

its like rooting against big budget, star studded, great plot and great acting movies from winning a grammy, so what, we can all watch documentaries on Scareb beatles?

people give your heads a shake please

go shero go

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 6, 2012
all the so called Wings fans who are hoping the Pens lose in the first round sound like high school losers who when they ask the prom queen to go to the big dance but are denied and rejected in front of everyone, start spreading rumours about her.

[mod]

if not Detroit then we should ALL be hoping Pittsburgh wins the cup.

why? because maybe it gets more GM's to stop from just sitting on their thumbs and actively go out and try and win championships for their fans(like they're paid to do), year in and year out. Pitssburgh gave up absolutely nothing in the Iggy deal, nothing of any significant value given the return is jarome iginla.

its like rooting against big budget, star studded, great plot and great acting movies from winning a grammy, so what, we can all watch documentaries on Scareb beatles?

people give your heads a shake please

go shero go

Sorry but I hate Pittsburgh. Good day, sir.

Last edited by a moderator:

DarkReign

Jan 30, 2008

I dont know if youre right or not, but I do have to look sideways at their d-corp and squint real hard at Fleury to have any real confidence in their contender status.

I think Pitt will lay waste to any team in the EC that pretends they can run with them up and down the ice (like Philly, but theyre not making the playoffs). The moment the Pens run into a team that concentrates on defense and goaltending (Boston + Montreal, for example), I think theyre cooked.

Acquiring a scoring winger (not elite Iginla), an aging has-been (Morrow) and a defensemen who would have been scratched some nights in SJ (Murray) doesnt exactly do it for me.

Its more quantity than quality. Iginla is for sure a very quality player, the needed winger Crosby hasnt had (Malkin always played with Neal). But Iginla is not a Selke forward, he never was and still isnt.

...and with that defense and with Fleury headspace between the pipes...I dont know. I mean, they are the favorite, absolutely. But...

Aug 6, 2012
they may not win, but you cant help but admire their desire and commitment to wanting to win

and thats something all fans should hope for from every team

Yeah I admire it, even though two of the three trades were overpayments and won't help the team much (everybody seems to think Morrow and Murray are all the sudden going to be good again).

But I want a team like Ottawa to win, the young kids.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad