OT: Iginla Traded To Pittsburgh

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Nobody bite my head off, because I do believe the Penguins were a stronger contender than the wings prior to their moves.

However, how different was the quality of the two rosters prior to the deadline moves? This isnt a statistical comparisson, but rather for ***** and giggles. Im operating under 3 givens:
A) Pitt is more offensive.
B) Our team is more defensive. (Looking at GA/G the difference is negligble, but I do believe our team defence is better, our system is more defense focused)
C) Comparisons below arent always statisically relevent (ie. Neal - Franzen) but often are (ie. Fleury - Howard).

both teams have two top line centers.
Crosby -Zetterberg
Malkin - Datsyuk

both lines have good top 6 winger depth
Neal - Franzen
Kunitz (insane breakout year) - Brunner (good(?) breakout year)
Dupuis - Filppula

Both teams have "Grinders playing up the roster"
Cooke - Abdelkader
Bennett - Cleary

Both teams top defenceman are dynamic offensively and "meh" defensively.
Letang - Kronwall

Niether team has an outstanding shutdown defenceman
Orpik - Ericsson

Both teams have a rookie Defence playing solid hockey
Despres - Smith

Third line centers are of the same caliber
Sutter - Helm

The complimentary pieces are playing at similar levels
Martin - Kindl
Niskanen - Quincey
Kennedy - Andersson

Both starting goalies are of the same caliber
Fleury - Howard

Again, I dont think this team is an elite contender, but i dont think we are as far off as some people say. Obviously, our rosters and abilities are "trending" in the opposite direction of Pittsburg due to ages. But when you look at things on a single season basis we are still a very good team. Our record doesnt show it but I see two reasons for that:
-We have a habit of playing down to weaker teams.
-More man games lost to injury than any other team.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
Nobody bite my head off, because I do believe the Penguins were a stronger contender than the wings prior to their moves.

However, how different was the quality of the two rosters prior to the deadline moves? This isnt a statistical comparisson, but rather for ***** and giggles. Im operating under 3 givens:
A) Pitt is more offensive.
B) Our team is more defensive. (Looking at GA/G the difference is negligble, but I do believe our team defence is better, our system is more defense focused)
C) Comparisons below arent always statisically relevent (ie. Neal - Franzen) but often are (ie. Fleury - Howard).

both teams have two top line centers.
Crosby -Zetterberg
Malkin - Datsyuk

both lines have good top 6 winger depth
Neal - Franzen
Kunitz (insane breakout year) - Brunner (good(?) breakout year)
Dupuis - Filppula

Both teams have "Grinders playing up the roster"
Cooke - Abdelkader
Bennett - Cleary

Both teams top defenceman are dynamic offensively and "meh" defensively.
Letang - Kronwall

Niether team has an outstanding shutdown defenceman
Orpik - Ericsson

Both teams have a rookie Defence playing solid hockey
Despres - Smith

Third line centers are of the same caliber
Sutter - Helm

The complimentary pieces are playing at similar levels
Martin - Kindl
Niskanen - Quincey
Kennedy - Andersson

Both starting goalies are of the same caliber
Fleury - Howard

Again, I dont think this team is an elite contender, but i dont think we are as far off as some people say. Obviously, our rosters and abilities are "trending" in the opposite direction of Pittsburg due to ages. But when you look at things on a single season basis we are still a very good team. Our record doesnt show it but I see two reasons for that:
-We have a habit of playing down to weaker teams.
-More man games lost to injury than any other team.

I would agree that we are not that far off. Most people on this forum have completely written the team off. With a couple of moves, primarily a legit scoring winger for Datsyuk and a good top 3(pref top 2) we can definitely be contenders.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I would agree that we are not that far off. Most people on this forum have completely written the team off. With a couple of moves, primarily a legit scoring winger for Datsyuk and a good top 3(pref top 2) we can definitely be contenders.

Exactly. Obviously those two players arent available for a price this team should pay. But on a pieces basis, we are close.

Lets not forget that most teams would kill for the center depth we have.

Chicago has a hole in the 2C spot and they are still considered a contender.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
Exactly. Obviously those two players arent available for a price this team should pay. But on a pieces basis, we are close.

Lets not forget that most teams would kill for the center depth we have.

Chicago has a hole in the 2C spot and they are still considered a contender.

If we would have brought in a Semin or something in the offseason we would be looking at adding a top D-man and looking good.

We do have center depth which is really good.

Datsyuk, Z, Helm, Emmerton, Anderson, Sheahan, Jarnkrok, Ferraro.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Bennett has played better than Cleary.

Kindl has been ok but he's got almost nothing against Martin. Martin has played like legit #1 or at least top pairing D.

Letang is not 'meh' defensively.

imo.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Bennett has played better than Cleary.

Kindl has been ok but he's got almost nothing against Martin. Martin has played like legit #1 or at least top pairing D.

Letang is not 'meh' defensively.

imo.

Statistically speaking, Bennett has played as well as Bertuzzi.

Kindl and Martin, you are right. Points wise they are on par, but Martin gets the tough assignments and plays all situations.

When I say "Meh" I was categorizing both Letang, and Kronwall as decent, with them being in the same range. The edge would go to letang.

DarkReign

Jan 30, 2008
For the cheap seats, one more time...

There is NOTHING Holland could have done to acquire Iginla.

There is no reason to b**** and moan about it. Iginla chose which team he wanted to go to and Detroit wasnt even on his list to begin with.

Face it, the detractors on this board arent the only ones who know Detroit is not a contender.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
For the cheap seats, one more time...

There is NOTHING Holland could have done to acquire Iginla.

There is no reason to b**** and moan about it. Iginla chose which team he wanted to go to and Detroit wasnt even on his list to begin with.

Face it, the detractors on this board arent the only ones who know Detroit is not a contender.

EVERYONE AND THEIR DOG is aware that Iginla picked Pittsburg and only Pittsburg. We all have understood and accepted that.

I wont accept people writing this team off. We have the tenth best record in the NHL and one team (LA) can take that from us by means of winning their games at hand.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
EVERYONE AND THEIR DOG is aware that Iginla picked Pittsburg and only Pittsburg. We all have understood and accepted that.

I wont accept people writing this team off. We have the tenth best record in the NHL and one team (LA) can take that from us by means of winning their games at hand.

With Miller and Abdelkader playing on our top 2 lines. If we had Bert and Helm playing we would be better as well.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Lets be real here, at this time Malkin and Sid are better compared to the rest of the league than Yzerman and Fedorov ever were.
They were never top 2 players at the same time

Maybe, but do you think I want to volunteer that kind of thing around here? :laugh:

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
In 2008? As If I remember that particular argument.

Didn't we win the cup in 08 without Hossa and sign him for nothing for 08-09?

Well this debate was prior to the Wings winning the cup so what happened afterward was irrelevant. There was a faction wanting the Wings to trade for Hossa and another small faction saying the Wings shouldn't trade anything for rentals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->