OT: Iginla Traded To Pittsburgh

DarkReign

Jan 30, 2008
Holy... Shero's going bargain bin shopping and picking up diamonds. What the heck. This isn't even proper market value. Holland better make a move while prices are low.

Incorrect.

Iginla with a NTC/NMC fetches this.

Iginla without a NTC/NMC fetches that.

One is not like the other.

CloneHakanPlease*

Holy... Shero's going bargain bin shopping and picking up diamonds. What the heck. This isn't even proper market value. Holland better make a move while prices are low.

He overpaid like crazy for Murray and Morrow. Iginla was really about outbidding max two teams.

Aug 6, 2012
I don't understand the love for Shero. His team's biggest need was defense and he did nothing to improve it.

Traded away his top prospect for a struggling veteran in Morrow.
Traded away two 2nd round picks for a regularly scratched defenseman in Murray.
Traded a 1st for Iginla.

People seem to think Morrow and Murray are all the sudden going to be good again, when in reality they both aren't very good. He looks good because he brought in big names, not good players.

Iginla was a solid deal but did they really need another top-six winger when they are already the top scoring team in the league?

Don't see the major improvement the Pens are getting from these deals, they only got one productive player.

RedWingsNow*

I wish you had that same motto back when we argued about Holland potentially trading for Hossa back in '08.

Shero did it back then with Hossa and now with Iginla. No one saw this coming.

In 2008? As If I remember that particular argument.

Didn't we win the cup in 08 without Hossa and sign him for nothing for 08-09?

Kenny's career has been at two extremes.
1) Wild Kenny days of the pre-cap era, where he offered draft picks and "prospects" every deadline for the biggest name available.
2) Cautious Kenny days of the post cap era, where he hasn't traded for a big name player since -- ever?

Unfortunately, what he need now is a mixture of Wild Kenny and Blow-it-Up Kenny.

First, we need Blow-up Kenny to trade away the Clearys, Quinceys, Whites or whoever..
And then we need to trade for the Big Names -- and play big names with our young talent.

What if you could do these trades:

Ferraro + Quincey + 2nd for Bouwmeester
Nyquist + Cleary + White + 1st for Gaborik
Lashoff + Ouellet for Robidas

You could buy out Sammy and Bert, let Flip and some others walk... have a deep team for this year's run and still fit in next year's team

You would have:
CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Tomas Tatar ($0.840m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Marian Gaborik ($6.750m—10.0%)
Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Damien Brunner ($2.000m)
Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)
Joakim Andersson ($0.905m) / Riley Sheahan ($0.900m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)
Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) / Mitchell Callahan ($0.553m)
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)
Jay Bouwmeester ($6.680m) / Stephane Robidas ($3.300m)
Jakub Kindl ($1.400m) / Brendan Smith ($1.401m)
Kurtis Foster ($0.950m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($4.900m)
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)
OTHER
Buyout: Mikael Samuelsson ($0.000m)
Buyout: Todd Bertuzzi ($0.000m)
Buyout: Carlo Colaiacovo ($0.000m)
RETAINED SALARY TRANSACTIONS (0.070% of upper limit)
Brian Lashoff ($0.007m—1.0%) Kyle Quincey ($0.038m—1.0%)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,419,865; BONUSES: $320,000
CAP SPACE (25-man roster): $200,135

Last edited by a moderator:

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I don't understand the love for Shero. His team's biggest need was defense and he did nothing to improve it.

Traded away his top prospect for a struggling veteran in Morrow.
Traded away two 2nd round picks for a regularly scratched defenseman in Murray.
Traded a 1st for Iginla.

People seem to think Morrow and Murray are all the sudden going to be good again, when in reality they both aren't very good. He looks good because he brought in big names, not good players.

Iginla was a solid deal but did they really need another top-six winger when they are already the top scoring team in the league?

Don't see the major improvement the Pens are getting from these deals, they only got one productive player.

It's the shiny new toy syndrome.

If Bowman, Chiarelli or any of the other GMs made a deal, they'd be getting this love and the "why couldn't Holland make that deal" stuff.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Probably. & so what if we're laughing at the potential failure of the Penguins? You don't think it would be funny if they got eliminated in the first round? You're way to serious...

On the one hand, it shows just how hard it is to win the Cup. Can't buy your way there. Everything's gotta come together and click.

On the other hand, poor Iggy. Guy's been so good and worked so hard and been with a dying organization for so long. How can you not want him to get a cup.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Shero was smart to get this done as early as possible and I think going for it is not a bad idea in terms of where that team is currently. With that said... big time adds at the deadline or near the deadline rarely lead to cups immediately.

The only major deadline deal to lead to a cup that I can think of is Rob Blake. R Bourque, M. Hossa, Bure, B. Richards, B. Campbell, B. Guerin, T. Bertuzzi, C Chelios, Selanne, Tkachuk were all dealt to teams that did not win the cup that year.

If the Pens can convince Iggy to re-up for at least one more year I think this is a great deal for the Pens even if they don't win the cup this year. As a pure rental though its a bit risky. They certainly look to be the class of the East, but I'll wait to announce them as Cup winners.

I hoped Holland would have made a deal earlier. I do not know if he is going to make a deal and I doubt it will really matter.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

I think he really believes he can just win with offense. Can't blame the guy for thinking that either.

1. The Pens are on a massive winning streak.

2. They *do* just overpower other teams with offense.

3. They just added 2 weapons to their offense. 1 potent, 1 less so.

Aug 6, 2012
I think he really believes he can just win with offense. Can't blame the guy for thinking that either.

1. The Pens are on a massive winning streak.

2. They *do* just overpower other teams with offense.

3. They just added 2 weapons to their offense. 1 potent, 1 less so.

Yeah but its been proven over and over again in the playoffs that that just doesn't work. They aren't going to be able to overpower Boston with just offense. I still think they have a good shot at winning the Cup (better than anyone else), just don't agree with some of the Shero love.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
all the so called Wings fans who are hoping the Pens lose in the first round sound like high school losers who when they ask the prom queen to go to the big dance but are denied and rejected in front of everyone, start spreading rumours about her.

[mod]

if not Detroit then we should ALL be hoping Pittsburgh wins the cup.

why? because maybe it gets more GM's to stop from just sitting on their thumbs and actively go out and try and win championships for their fans(like they're paid to do), year in and year out. Pitssburgh gave up absolutely nothing in the Iggy deal, nothing of any significant value given the return is jarome iginla.

its like rooting against big budget, star studded, great plot and great acting movies from winning a grammy, so what, we can all watch documentaries on Scareb beatles?

people give your heads a shake please

go shero go

Well said.

It also means if another team BEATS pittsburgh, then they deserve what they get too.

I am a red wing fan, but also a hockey fan. And the Burgh is going to be playing some good hockey.

Am I jealous? No. Because we could have beat this offer with Tatar or Nyquist, but i want to keep those 2. Also If Detroit pulls of a Miracle run to the cup to take on Pitts again. Its like David and Goliath... And I want to root for David. (Its only fun if Goliath is Goliath! - GJ R Shero.)

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'm all for rooting Boston this season from the East. Hopefully Milan Lucic will beat the **** out of those cry-baby-Penguins.

RedWingsNow*

I dont know if youre right or not, but I do have to look sideways at their d-corp and squint real hard at Fleury to have any real confidence in their contender status.

I think Pitt will lay waste to any team in the EC that pretends they can run with them up and down the ice (like Philly, but theyre not making the playoffs). The moment the Pens run into a team that concentrates on defense and goaltending (Boston + Montreal, for example), I think theyre cooked.

Acquiring a scoring winger (not elite Iginla), an aging has-been (Morrow) and a defensemen who would have been scratched some nights in SJ (Murray) doesnt exactly do it for me.

Its more quantity than quality. Iginla is for sure a very quality player, the needed winger Crosby hasnt had (Malkin always played with Neal). But Iginla is not a Selke forward, he never was and still isnt.

...and with that defense and with Fleury headspace between the pipes...I dont know. I mean, they are the favorite, absolutely. But...

That's a good analysis man. That's not laughing at their fans and Shero if he fails.
I agree, their defense needs some work. But I think Doug Murray can really help them

JBauerly97

Jan 8, 2013
Coldwater, MI
Yeah but its been proven over and over again in the playoffs that that just doesn't work. They aren't going to be able to overpower Boston with just offense. I still think they have a good shot at winning the Cup (better than anyone else), just don't agree with some of the Shero love.

God, I want that series to happen! My favorite kind of hockey is great games where teams beat the crap out of each other and I have no emotional stake in it.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
Pittsburgh is my least favourite team as well, but I got to admit that Shero pulled of a brilliant trade for Iginla by sacrificing only a (probably very) late 1st round pick and two non-blue chip prospects. The trades for Morrow and Murray were a bit more expensive (albeit the latter 2nd roud pick for Murray is conditional on him re-signing), but still defensible.

When Chicago ponied up for their cup quest, there was general consensus among Red Wings fans that the Blackhawks would end in "cap hell". While Chicago may have had to tweak a little bit, they ended everywhere but in hell. Pittsburgh will neither and additonally has very good chances of winning it all this season. I already tried to console myself by accepting that Pittsburgh is quite due to win after having bad luck with Crosby's injuries.

Gruß,
BSHH

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Pittsburgh is my least favourite team as well, but I got to admit that Shero pulled of a brilliant trade for Iginla by sacrificing only a (probably very) late 1st round pick and two non-blue chip prospects. The trades for Morrow and Murray were a bit more expensive (albeit the latter 2nd roud pick for Murray is conditional on him re-signing), but still defensible.

When Chicago ponied up for their cup quest, there was general consensus among Red Wings fans that the Blackhawks would end in "cap hell". While Chicago may have had to tweak a little bit, they ended everywhere but in hell. Pittsburgh will neither and additonally has very good chances of winning it all this season. I already tried to console myself by accepting that Pittsburgh is quite due to win after having bad luck with Crosby's injuries.

Gruß,
BSHH
How effective will an Iginla be whose heart won't be in Pittsburgh, he's just gonna play there for 2months.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Dave Molinari ‏@MolinariPG 3 min
Shero says his kids, when informed of Iginla deal, told him he was wrong, that Iginla was going to Boston.

Rick Nash with a NTC fetched a crap ton more than Iginla did. And Iginla's resume is much more shinier.

Iggy is what, 7 years older? And rental.

Nash was ok for going every of 5 teams he waived he's NTC. Iggy wanted to go to the Pens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad