Confirmed with Link: Iginla to Pittsburgh!!

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh fan here, also coming in peace.

You have a class organization who respected a guy who gave his heart and soul for you all, and allowed him his choice after a long career, ironically given the controversy much like Boston did with Ray Bourque almost 30 years ago. Lost in all the bickering is the fact that the Flames could have just said no, but they put the player first, so that was the primary concern. These things get around, and players know when organizations treat their players well, and it does make a difference. Thanks for lending us your Mario.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Lending? Did you see the smile on his face today? He ain't coming back! :laugh:

Why would he?

I have no doubt he does. When is the only question, next year or a few years down the road. I can not see him retiring as anything but a Flame. So yeah, pretty confident in the lend part.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I have no doubt he does. When is the only question, next year or a few years down the road. I can not see him retiring as anything but a Flame. So yeah, pretty confident in the lend part.

Yeah I'd have a hard time believing that he would want to retire with any team other than the Flames. He will return for his last season but unless the "re-tool" goes much faster than planned I don't think he's coming back for a bit.

domaug*

Nov 27, 2011
Archbald, PA
Pens fan in peace (probably like the others here, hopefully; i didn't read through the thread)

you fans deserve to see Iginla retire a Flame someday. he was my favorite non-Pens player since i started watching NHL hockey in 1995. now, he's already up there as one of my favorite Penguins, even if he's only here for this season.

the fact that Feaster pretty much damned his own team by putting its most prolific player in the last two decades first is stupid for the team he's trying to build, but also classy to a player who has earned his say in where he wants to go. i personally think he was looking out for Iginla more than his own team, which will inevitably come back to bite him.

regardless of how they do in the upcoming years, i'm on the Flames bandwagon when it comes to WC teams. for what it's worth, they're my new favorite team in the West.

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
Hey guys!

I work for a Pittsburgh-area newspaper as a writer/copy editor. Sometimes I put a ''tweet of the day'' into our A section (news) which is usually about politics or something. Tonight I went a little different direction.

IMG02115-20130328-2357_zps926eb7e6.jpg

Just wanted to let everyone know what Iggy meant to you guys. 50,000 people will see that tweet tomorrow.

All the best Calgary!

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
It's really funny to track the history of the Iginla trade speculation.

So many non-Flames fans were like "he's old and slow", "just a rental, be lucky to get anything for him", "your not getting Maatta, Harrington and a 1st", "not getting Subban or Spooner, no way".

Then he gets traded and it's "why didn't idiot Feaster hold out for more?" Well if we weren't getting Maatta, Harrington, Bennett, Spooner, Subban, Bernier..........What the hell more were we holding out for then?

Also when it was the Boston deal, Khocklachev wasn't that great. But now compared to Hanowski/Agostina he's a 1st line center?

Basically when it looked like he was Flames property, Khocklachev was a borderline 2nd line center. But now that he's not Flames property he's a borderline 1st line center?

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
With others like Clowe and St. Louis possibly in play, that had to be weighing on Feaster's mind..................if Boston gets one of those guys there goes our Pittsburgh leverage.

Feaster was between a rock and a hard place.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
It's really funny to track the history of the Iginla trade speculation.

So many non-Flames fans were like "he's old and slow", "just a rental, be lucky to get anything for him", "your not getting Maatta, Harrington and a 1st", "not getting Subban or Spooner, no way".

Then he gets traded and it's "why didn't idiot Feaster hold out for more?" Well if we weren't getting Maatta, Harrington, Bennett, Spooner, Subban, Bernier..........What the hell more were we holding out for then?

Also when it was the Boston deal, Khocklachev wasn't that great. But now compared to Hanowski/Agostina he's a 1st line center?

Basically when it looked like he was Flames property, Khocklachev was a borderline 2nd line center. But now that he's not Flames property he's a borderline 1st line center?

I found it funny how Khoko was damn near untouchable at first, "your not getting him for a rental, keep dreaming, etc" than when that is the rumored deal, "terrible value for Iginla, Bart sucks and Khoko isn't anything special". Than when they didn't get Iginla, "wow, that package is way worst than ours, I'm happy we didn't give up Khoko for a rental"

Lol Jesus.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Hey guys!

I work for a Pittsburgh-area newspaper as a writer/copy editor. Sometimes I put a ''tweet of the day'' into our A section (news) which is usually about politics or something. Tonight I went a little different direction.

IMG02115-20130328-2357_zps926eb7e6.jpg

Just wanted to let everyone know what Iggy meant to you guys. 50,000 people will see that tweet tomorrow.

All the best Calgary!

Beauty!! Not gonna lie, it's going to be a lot of mixed emotions watching Iginla in a Penguins jersey, but damn it will be nice to see him playing with top calibre players and in the playoffs..

MCDAVIDISH

Jul 18, 2011
Edmonton

Ya I can see him doing the kind of thing Smyth did with the Oilers. Except when Iggy comes back he will still know how to play hockey.

Ray Shero*

Iggy chose where he wanted to go and that was Pittsburgh, Feaster had to settle for what Pitt offered.

I'm sorry you guys didn't get a lot back in the spirit of "rebuilding the team" and I'd be kind of irritated as a Flames fan, but as a Pittsburgh fan this has been an awesome 2 days.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He will provably be back for the start of your next Season, Pits is almost the sure bet. Have fun watching him in the playoffs guys.

kshinkman*

One angle on this trade has not been discussed, namely the the Flames were an unfortunate victim of bad timing. With the cap going down next year, his value was minimized. The odds of him being a short term rental rather than a long term acquisition went way up. He'll probably look for $5 for 4 yrs. This corresponding decreased his trade value.

Gabriel6676

Sep 10, 2011
One angle on this trade has not been discussed, namely the the Flames were an unfortunate victim of bad timing. With the cap going down next year, his value was minimized. The odds of him being a short term rental rather than a long term acquisition went way up. He'll probably look for $5 for 4 yrs. This corresponding decreased his trade value.

Unfortunate victim? Lol!!!!!!

Look - some people here need to get some things straight - this is utter incompetence by this organization on many levels. A few main points illustrate the problems that are significant of great incomtence

1. This organization has been doing the same thing for years and failing at it. Even when EVERYONE aside from flames fans have been commenting in amazement that the Flames have been waiting WAY too long to begin a rebuild - for 5 years this has been the case;
2. When they do decide to trade their captain, they wait to do so in the last year of his contract;
3. Everyone saw that CBA stoppage might come and take away a year of hockey and STILL the flames made no moves - you could have lost iginla for nothing;
4. Everyone knew for some time that the cap would go down after the new CBA - and the flames decide to trade iginla the year before the cap goes way down and after teams have already adjusted for it and therefore cannot afford him?
5. When a player waives a no trade he has to sign a waiver which gets filed with the league - it in this case would hae listed the teams he can be traded to - after that the player has No control over the deal - so one of two things happened - the flames didn't get the waiver up front or 2 they gave iginla the choice of cancelling the deal with Boston even though he had already provided Boston as an option - either way it is a total failure to get maximum value out of this trade! Either Calgary is too soft to do what is necessary or iginla went back in his original word that he would accept a trade to Boston. AND it sounds like the flames did not get the bloody waiver!
6. They didn't wait until deadline day to make a trade;
7. They told Boston there was a deal and waited a long time to tell them it was off - both big screw ups

C'mon Flames fans - wake up (those of you who have not woken up already)

Last edited:

StreakingRed

Jan 4, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Not the only thing. The butthurt Boston fans are becoming annoying as well.

Other fanbases' perception of us is the least of my concerns. We look to be entering a rebuild phase, which is the right thing to do, but unfortunately we have the wrong man at the helm for it. I don't trust Feaster to handle what is a very important time for this organization. One that he seems to be giving a bad rep to with every move. I worry one of his slip ups is gonna cost us big, whether with a player or valuable pick.

Last edited:

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
For Feaster to agree to a deal with the Bruins without receiving Iginla's blessing isn't a mark against Iginla - it's yet another indication of Feaster's wholesale incompetency.

I'm sure his "agreement" was conditional upon Iggy's consent, which was always needed.

Gabriel6676

Sep 10, 2011
He died!!!!

So? This is not the point. In Chicago fans realized they were faced with terrible ownership and correctly directed criticism there. I have yet to hear a flames fan identify the ownership as a part of the problem.

Last edited:

Gabriel6676

Sep 10, 2011
I'm sure his "agreement" was conditional upon Iggy's consent, which was always needed.

It doesn't work that way. There is a process to trade a player with a no trade or no movement clause. That player has to sign a waiver. He lists the teams he will consent to be traded to and then signs. After that he gives up control. That is how it works. Either the flames did not get the waiver - in which case this is a major screw up by the gm or the flames gave iginla the chance to turn Boston down after the process which is feester giving iginla another kick at the cat to say what he wants which is essentially limiting your options to only one team which is a failure to get value out of the trade. This isn't just about iginla - this is about the whole team and the fans. Ridiculous.

Edit: I love that they showed Iginla a lot of respect. But you got almost nothing for him! One of the"prospects" is a UFA for goodness sake. There is something wrong with this however you slice it.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad