NHL Entry Draft If Zadina falls to the Sens should they take him?

If Zadina falls the the Sens should they take him. Yes or No

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
If Zadina doesn't drop, I hope we take Dobson; Ottawa doesn't seem interested in Dobson, yet they are supposedly high on Bouchard, why? Bouchard has a lesser defensive game and is slower skating.

Plus, he kinda has the Cowen eyes. I don't trust him on that alone..

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Would you take Tkachuk with 2nd overall?

I would, The Sens haven’t had a soul since Alfie left, EK seems to struggle with the leadership on the team from time to time, I never question EK effort or will to win, jus sometimes on the ice after whistles he’s to nice, to much smiling with the opposition IMO.

We need talent but more then that we need leadership and Brady is the type of player that makes his teammates play harder. He has that Marchand Quality to him where his teammates just play bigger because they have to - Ottawa needs that.

We also need a Center and a PP finisher, but most of all we need a player who’ll pull the team along and give us an identity

Reactions: aragorn

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
i get what youre doing..but there are actual scouting services that would take him second overall....
I'm just trying to find out how highly some posters rate Tkachuk.

There is no right or wrong answer at this point, only projections and opionion.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
It’ll be hard for Ottawa to pass on that big Finn Center if Montreal doesn’t take him. He’s everything Ottawa drafts for (center, late riser, big game performer, playoff performer, good hockey IQ, is there in big moments)

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Besides Wahlstrom in some bios is actually bigger than Tkachuk, so the obsession with Tkachuk's size is stupid.

From the combine:
Oliver Wahlstrom: 6-1.25, 208.38
Brady Tkachuk: 6-3, 191.52

Tkachuk looks like he has a frame that will support/add a lot of weight as he ages, but Wahlstrom already has that man size, and still gets around the ice very well.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Which ones? Svechnikov is 2nd in every service I've seen.
there two are there not that have tkatchuk to carolina second overall i could be mistaken...

my point is that yeah Aragorn likes those types but in this case.. the player is ACTUALLY highly regarded. this isnt Culek

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
From the combine:
Oliver Wahlstrom: 6-1.25, 208.38
Brady Tkachuk: 6-3, 191.52

Tkachuk looks like he has a frame that will support/add a lot of weight as he ages, but Wahlstrom already has that man size, and still gets around the ice very well.
wahlstroms skating looks veeeerrrry strange to me

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If Zadina doesn't drop, I hope we take Dobson; Ottawa doesn't seem interested in Dobson, yet they are supposedly high on Bouchard, why? Bouchard has a lesser defensive game and is slower skating.

I mean, he outscored Dobson by almost 20 points and had less offensive support on his team. I think the reason for being high on Bouchard stands out, it's the reasons for liking Dobson that are more subtle.

I'd be ok with either, but I think I lean a bit towards Bouchard tbh.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Which ones? Svechnikov is 2nd in every service I've seen.
Button had him 2nd back in March, but has since flipped and put both Svech and Zadina ahead, CS has him 2nd among NA skaters, so really it's third.

Button isn't really a scouting service though, so idk who he was referring to,

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008

I'd be done with the team if that ended up happening. I want nothing to do with Evan f***ing Bouchard at 4th OVR. I'd rather pick Tkachuk.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Why would you be against Bouchard?

I just don't like him as a pick at where we sit. I don't want to move back either. Personal preference. His physical maturity playing against junior kids inflated his numbers. Like a man playing against 17 year olds. Just look at him. Man strength in junior. Probably had a beard in grade 9. Leads me to believe he is high floor, low ceiling and unlikely to get a lot better at hockey.

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
Not to sound flippant, but did you watch any of these international tournaments? If you're looking for an explanation to justify the discrepancy between goals and assists in his international career, or your "unheard" of Cy Young thesis (meant to sound a little flippant), then I would suggest it was because he carried those Czech teams on his back and played his role as a sniper perfectly in a short tournament format where goals are at a premium.

I'm sorry, but if Zadina's performance throughout his international career left you feeling concerned or uneasy, then you need to start watching a little more hockey instead of analyzing it's data. He clearly was a leader on those teams and showed that he was clutch when it mattered most. Either way, his performance in the Q this year should erase any fears that he is a one trick pony with nothing between the ears. It's a larger sample size and the #'s don't fit your narrative. It's crazy, he should be praised for that kind of production, especially considering he was adjusting to a new country/culture and playing on a smaller ice surface. Sheesh, tough crowd I tells ya!

Everyone know about the CY Young theory. I was surprised to get so much push back , especially because of experiences wit Lazar

I have watched Zadina. He doesn't like to carry the puck through the neutral zone and instead finds opportunistic spaces to receive passes. This, in part, explains why the assist totals are lower than goals. He defers the puck carrying load a lot. But when he's within the hashmarks, the dude is deadly and attacks the net. He has wonderful hands. He will score goals. He has knack for scoring, but I don't see 360 degree awareness or top notch passing ability. He has exceptional edge work, but lacks top end speed. I think this is a fair assessment.

I invite you watch tape and get back to me. Perhaps you already have and I am totally out to lunch.

I love the fact he goes into dirty areas. If you paired him with Duchene, they could be an absolutely joy to watch.

It is has been a long off season. I have listened to posters throw shade at Tkachuk for months without a shred of analysis.

Because Zadina looks like a real possibility, I thought I would share my thoughts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ice-Tray and DJB

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I just don't like him as a pick at where we sit. I don't want to move back either. Personal preference. His physical maturity playing against junior kids inflated his numbers. Like a man playing against 17 year olds. Just look at him. Man strength in junior. Probably had a beard in grade 9. Leads me to believe he is high floor, low ceiling and unlikely to get a lot better at hockey.

So I assume that a guy like Wahlstrom (208 pds) also have his numbers inflated by physical maturity in your mind? And Svechnikov (192 pds) as well? How about Zadina (197 pds)? All those guys are around the same size or bigger as Bouchard who's 196 pds. Why single out Bouchard as being physically mature but not them?

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
So I assume that a guy like Wahlstrom (208 pds) also have his numbers inflated by physical maturity in your mind? And Svechnikov (192 pds) as well? How about Zadina (197 pds)? All those guys are around the same size or bigger as Bouchard who's 196 pds. Why single out Bouchard as being physically mature but not them?

No it's not the same. Those are kids are just big kids, but they're not done growing. I feel like Bouchard is fully grown into a man's body and is done growing. His physical abilities may not increase like the others will.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

They may be higher on Bouchard for the same reason people around here generally prefer Zadina to Tkachuk - higher offensive upside.

He's the best passer in this year's draft. Elite vision and hockey sense. Handles the puck better too.

Skating and defensive ability are among the easiest traits to improve. If the Sens feel they can improve his skating and teach him how to defend well at the NHL level, it makes sense to draft him because of his superior offensive upside.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
No it's not the same. Those are kids are just big kids, but they're not done growing. I feel like Bouchard is fully grown into a man's body and is done growing. His physical abilities may not increase like the others will.

How does one come to that conclusion? What exactly are the indications that he's done growning while a guy like Wahlstrom is not? Is this just a hunch, or is there some sort of evidence that suggests this may be the case? I'm honestly unsure how you'd come to this conclusion. I can find data on Hughes and Zadina's fathers, both of which are around the same size or smaller than they are, but nothing on Bouchard. To me, this would suggest Those two are slightly more likely to be on the tail end of their growth curve, but I have insufficient evidence to even guess wrt Bouchard.

I'm also unsure why limited potential for growth in terms of his size and strength would be a concern with Bouchard; it's not size and strength that are considered the hallmarks of his game, rather it's his passing, and shot, along with his ability to read the play offensively and create chances. What holds him back is his defensive game, but he has the frame to succeed at the NHL level once he cleans up the mental portion of his defensive game.

Reactions: Deku
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad