NHL Entry Draft If Zadina falls to the Sens should they take him?

If Zadina falls the the Sens should they take him. Yes or No

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I've never really been impressed by Boqvist. He's got the elite shot, but I don't like the rest of his game.

Without his concussion history he'd probably rank around 10th on my list, but having had two concussions this season, he'll probably finish somewhere in the 12-15 range. Makes a high-risk high-reward player even more of a high-risk.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I've never really been impressed by Boqvist. He's got the elite shot, but I don't like the rest of his game.

Without his concussion history he'd probably rank around 10th on my list, but having had two concussions this season, he'll probably finish somewhere in the 12-15 range. Makes a high-risk high-reward player even more of a high-risk.

What? His shot isn't even the best part of his game. He's with Hughes as the best skater in the draft. He also has elite passing, vision and anticipation. He's just lost defensively and the concussion stuff might stagnate that even further. The only thing Hughes has on him is better defence, imo. Hughes is more polished.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
What? His shot isn't even the best part of his game. He's with Hughes as the best skater in the draft. He also has elite passing, vision and anticipation. He's just lost defensively and the concussion stuff might stagnate that even further. The only thing Hughes has on him is better defence, imo. Hughes is more polished.

Boqvist does have a nasty wrister like if he were a forward. His shot is one of his best assets

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

It is definitely the best part of his game. It's the only thing he does at an elite level.

His skating is nowhere close to Hughes. It's pretty average and certainly not as good as you'd want it to be given that he's an undersized D.

He's a good passer and has great hands, but I don't think he thinks the game as well as the other top D in this draft.

If Boqvist works out, his shot could make him a 15-20G scorer from the blueline ala Green/Burns but it wouldn't shock me if he didn't end up a top 4 D either.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
There has been a lot of speculation surrounding Montreal possibly taking someone other than Zadina at 3. Most people in the Draft poll have us taking Tkachuk followed by Boqvist at 4 and the rest of the voting is spread out... We did not have the option for Zadina in that poll. I am wondering how many Sens fans that voted in that poll would have taken Zadina over their other choice.

Indubitably.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
It is definitely the best part of his game. It's the only thing he does at an elite level.

His skating is nowhere close to Hughes. It's pretty average and certainly not as good as you'd want it to be given that he's an undersized D.

He's a good passer and has great hands, but I don't think he thinks the game as well as the other top D in this draft.

If Boqvist works out, his shot could make him a 15-20G scorer from the blueline ala Green/Burns but it wouldn't shock me if he didn't end up a top 4 D either.

Yeah, it's easy to make the Karlsson comparisons, but damned if this guy isn't Mike Green-lite. He went from #4 on my list to out of the top-10 once I actually started looking into his actual play and not just highlite videos. He'd be the one guy the Sens have shown interest in that I would be legitimately disappointed with. I think the other 3 D in that range of the draft have really started to separate from him.

All that being said, if the Sens take him I'm sure I can be sold on him eventually :laugh:

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Yeah, it's easy to make the Karlsson comparisons, but damned if this guy isn't Mike Green-lite. He went from #4 on my list to out of the top-10 once I actually started looking into his actual play and not just highlite videos. He'd be the one guy the Sens have shown interest in that I would be legitimately disappointed with. I think the other 3 D in that range of the draft have really started to separate from him.

All that being said, if the Sens take him I'm sure I can be sold on him eventually :laugh:
I doubt they take him .. at least I am hoping they don't there are better players available... but it is about the projection ... I think he'll be a good player in the NHL but it could take him a while.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I doubt they take him .. at least I am hoping they don't there are better players available... but it is about the projection ... I think he'll be a good player in the NHL but it could take him a while.

His potential is sky high, I don't think anyone can even really debate that. But the length of time it will take him to get there combined with the likelihood he reaches his potential would scare me off anywhere in the top-10. If he falls to ~#14 and we trade up and grab him that's one thing, but I want nothing to do with him over Tkachuk/Dobson/Hughes/Bouchard.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
His potential is sky high, I don't think anyone can even really debate that. But the length of time it will take him to get there combined with the likelihood he reaches his potential would scare me off anywhere in the top-10. If he falls to ~#14 and we trade up and grab him that's one thing, but I want nothing to do with him over Tkachuk/Dobson/Hughes/Bouchard.
Agree completely

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I have a strange feeling Svechnikov is going to fall to 3 and the Habs will trade out of that spot . I think there is a real possibility Carolina could take Zadina.

2XPRO31

Jul 13, 2007
I have a strange feeling Svechnikov is going to fall to 3 and the Habs will trade out of that spot . I think there is a real possibility Carolina could take Zadina.

Waddell already said they are taking Svechnikov

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I think Carolina takes Svechnikov if they keep their pick, which I think they will. I do think Montreal passes on Zadina in favor of one of (Tkachuk, Dobson, Bouchard or Kotkaniemi). I do not know what the Sens will do when that happens but I think there is a good chance they take Zadina.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I think Carolina takes Svechnikov if they keep their pick, which I think they will. I do think Montreal passes on Zadina in favor of one of (Tkachuk, Dobson, Bouchard or Kotkaniemi). I do not know what the Sens will do when that happens but I think there is a good chance they take Zadina.
Since we have been linked to Bouchard, I wonder if Ottawa would pass on Zadina as well to take Bouchard (if Montreal took Hughes or Dobson).

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Since we have been linked to Bouchard, I wonder if Ottawa would pass on Zadina as well to take Bouchard (if Montreal took Hughes or Dobson).
It would not surprise me if Montreal and Ottawa both went with a D. I think there is an equally good chance Ottawa takes a D (Dobson or Bouchard)

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
At that point, why not trade down a few spots to get another asset?

And why in the world is the (almost) consensus #3 guy dropping so much? I know the 2-9 range is extra volatile this year, but it feels like there's something up with Zadina for so many posters to suddenly pass up on the kid.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

And then Arizona turns around and takes Tkachuk and then Detroit takes Hughes (who've they been linked to).

I don't THINK Zadina will drop out of the top-five, but I think there's a scenario where it could happen.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
At that point, why not trade down a few spots to get another asset?

And why in the world is the (almost) consensus #3 guy dropping so much? I know the 2-9 range is extra volatile this year, but it feels like there's something up with Zadina for so many posters to suddenly pass up on the kid.

The poll results are 147-19 to take Zadina if he's available. Its all just spit-ballin'. I have maintained that including Zadina the players in that 3-8 range are close. I could be off base and Zadina is a tier above everyone else but my feeling is they are close. Tkachuk, Dobson, Bouchard, Kotkaniemi and Hughes are all really good players as well. 3 of which are defensemen. If you think a D has realistic top pairing or possibly #1 potential that holds a lot of value. If you are willing to give up some points to get who you believe is a a top 6 physical beast that makes it incredibly hard to play against .. they could take Tkachuk.. I f you want a shifty goal scorer that can make plays and competes hard you go with Zadina. Kotkaniemi is a young emerging C with a lot to like. You can find some knocks on all these guys as well, except for maybe Dobson imo.. I don't think he has any real glaring weaknesses at this stage.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The poll results are 147-19 to take Zadina if he's available. Its all just spit-ballin'. I have maintained that including Zadina the players in that 3-8 range are close. I could be off base and Zadina is a tier above everyone else but my feeling is they are close. Tkachuk, Dobson, Bouchard, Kotkaniemi and Hughes are all really good players as well. 3 of which are defensemen. If you think a D has realistic top pairing or possibly #1 potential that holds a lot of value. If you are willing to give up some points to get who you believe is a a top 6 physical beast that makes it incredibly hard to play against .. they could take Tkachuk.. I f you want a shifty goal scorer that can make plays and competes hard you go with Zadina. Kotkaniemi is a young emerging C with a lot to like. You can find some knocks on all these guys as well, except for maybe Dobson imo.. I don't think he has any real glaring weaknesses at this stage.

lol, I dunno...this draft is making me paranoid. It's really a franchise saving (potentially) pick, and it feels like there's a hidden star/bust in that group of 2-9, but I have no idea which one is which. Pick the right one, and it's a jackpot...wrong one and it's game over, insert coin.

In a lot of ways, it was easier having picks in the 15-25 range....all you had to do was take whoever seemed like the BPA out of whatever kids are left. Maybe no superstars, but it felt like less risk...or at least less of a major loss if you screw up the pick.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
lol, I dunno...this draft is making me paranoid. It's really a franchise saving (potentially) pick, and it feels like there's a hidden star/bust in that group of 2-9, but I have no idea which one is which. Pick the right one, and it's a jackpot...wrong one and it's game over, insert coin.

In a lot of ways, it was easier having picks in the 15-25 range....all you had to do was take whoever seemed like the BPA out of whatever kids are left. Maybe no superstars, but it felt like less risk...or at least less of a major loss if you screw up the pick.

Definitely some truth to what you are saying but honestly if you goof the pick near the top of the draft, you likely end up back there soon enough anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad