NHL Entry Draft If Zadina falls to the Sens should they take him?

If Zadina falls the the Sens should they take him. Yes or No

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
aJDB6W.jpg

Popular Guy.
I would still take Tkachuk, so change that number to 32 .... but I would still be okay if they chose Zadina instead or Svechnikov, Dobson or Bouchard.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
From what I have been reading my pick might be Bouchard.

We have a good track record drafting high quality D. I take Bouchard cause I'm a francophone but if we get a D I will be happy.

Zadina would be fine of course, nothing to scoff at.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
From what I have been reading my pick might be Bouchard.

We have a good track record drafting high quality D. I take Bouchard cause I'm a francophone but if we get a D I will be happy.

Zadina would be fine of course, nothing to scoff at.

What about Dobson ... said more like Brisson .. that could work. At least he played in the Q for Bathurst .. completely francaphone

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
What about Dobson ... said more like Brisson .. that could work. At least he played in the Q for Bathurst .. completely francaphone

If we pick Dobson then that's of course great. I put more stock in our scouts than in my arbitrary picking a dude because he has a French last name ;)

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I feel like I'm the only one who prefers Hughes to all other D in the draft. (After Dahlin)

God Flower

Somebody hold me
Dec 19, 2008
Ottawa
Guys like Lazar have a well established pattern, so does Zadina. I took a snap shot of their draft years, because I am lazy, but these issues run deep. Lazar is a prime example, just look at his junior career as a whole. He also had one year in junior, his last, where he significantly closed the gap between goals and assist. So what? The pattern showed what he was.

Only once has Zadina had more assists than goals in like 6 years, playing at various tournament and the Czech junior league and it was by one 1 in 2014. He had some years where he ran even.

But in international play, best on best, he puts up numbers like 22 to 11 or 7 to 1.

Kraut is the guy we should be looking at the for 22nd pick.. He seems to do all the heavy lifting on those Czech teams.

There is something in those numbers that is unpalatable.

It leads me to believe he wont be this point a game dynamic player that he was being compared to, like Kucherov.

When I first dropped Cy Young thesis for draft eligibles, you seemed to doubt its credibility. How do you feel about now?

Not to sound flippant, but did you watch any of these international tournaments? If you're looking for an explanation to justify the discrepancy between goals and assists in his international career, or your "unheard" of Cy Young thesis (meant to sound a little flippant), then I would suggest it was because he carried those Czech teams on his back and played his role as a sniper perfectly in a short tournament format where goals are at a premium.

I'm sorry, but if Zadina's performance throughout his international career left you feeling concerned or uneasy, then you need to start watching a little more hockey instead of analyzing it's data. He clearly was a leader on those teams and showed that he was clutch when it mattered most. Either way, his performance in the Q this year should erase any fears that he is a one trick pony with nothing between the ears. It's a larger sample size and the #'s don't fit your narrative. It's crazy, he should be praised for that kind of production, especially considering he was adjusting to a new country/culture and playing on a smaller ice surface. Sheesh, tough crowd I tells ya!

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Not to sound flippant, but did you watch any of these international tournaments? If you're looking for an explanation to justify the discrepancy between goals and assists in his international career, or your "unheard" of Cy Young thesis (meant to sound a little flippant), then I would suggest it was because he carried those Czech teams on his back and played his role as a sniper perfectly in a short tournament format where goals are at a premium.

I'm sorry, but if Zadina's performance throughout his international career left you feeling concerned or uneasy, then you need to start watching a little more hockey instead of analyzing it's data. He clearly was a leader on those teams and showed that he was clutch when it mattered most. Either way, his performance in the Q this year should erase any fears that he is a one trick pony with nothing between the ears. It's a larger sample size and the #'s don't fit your narrative. It's crazy, he should be praised for that kind of production, especially considering he was adjusting to a new country/culture and playing on a smaller ice surface. Sheesh, tough crowd I tells ya!

Lazar had very good stats in junior but watching him play was another story alltogether. Stone hands and a bull in a China shop, I never believed he'd amount to much of anything after actually watching him.

Never trust people who attempt to craft narratives on projections for multiple players based only on stats.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

God Flower

Somebody hold me
Dec 19, 2008
Ottawa
Lazar had very good stats in junior but watching him play was another story alltogether. Stone hands and a bull in a China shop, I never believed he'd amount to much of anything after actually watching him.

Never trust people who attempt to craft narratives on projections for multiple players based only on stats.

I totally agree with you about Lazar. Even in international play, despite decent #'s, he looked rather pedestrian out there. I was pretty disappointed the year the Sens loaned him to Team Canada for the WJC. I totally expected him to dominate offensively, but I was left feeling like the 3rd line was his ceiling for a NHL career. Being a Sens fan, I remember feeling guily for crapping on Lazar after the WJC's; he just captained Team Canada to gold and scored 9 points in 7 games along the way. But it was the most boring 9 points in 7 games I had ever seen.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I would be fine with Zadina if that is who they choose but I would prefer Tkachuk who I think is the kind of player you win with in the playoffs. Ottawa has a natural goal scorer in Hoffman & a number of people are ready to get rid of him. I also thought they drafted another natural goal scorer in Francois Perron out of the Q & most have given up on him. Tkachuk can do so many things well including play on the special teams & I doubt he will shy away from a rough game. Ottawa needs some playoff warriors.

If they decide on a defenceman I would hope it would be between Bouchard & Dobson but it could just as easily be one of the smaller Ds that they decide on which I'm not a fan of.

You have to first make the playoffs, and Tkachuk isn't the person to take you there. If Zadina falls you pick him. Otherwise I really hope the Sens pick Wahlstrom, I'm super high on him and he's not a weak player. So what if he doesn't always focus on his defensive assignments, that can be easily taught as he has the size for it. He's way more skilled than Tkachuk and if anything he's more humble. People talk about character, yet Wahlstrom always compliments and respects his team mates, whereas Tkachuk thinks he's the greatest behind Dahlin.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
that would be terrible for us. we would probably end up with Brady.

I still find it baffling that Dorion is stressing "character" and is more inclined with Tkachuk, when Wahlstrom is a far more humble and team loving person. Defense can be taught, talent and skill can't be. Besides Wahlstrom in some bios is actually bigger than Tkachuk, so the obsession with Tkachuk's size is stupid.

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
To me it implies they don't have Zadina as their first choice, hopefully they fail to trade down and just take someone else at 3
at this point, i'm 99% confident that Zadina will be available at 4 given Montreal picks at 3.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Why do you think Montreal would pass on Zadina?

There has been plenty of speculation that they want a centre or a D. Zadina is the one who actually said that. So either they trade down a fee spots and grab Kotkaniemi, just take him at 3, or take Tkachuk and hope he's a centre when he's actually a winger (kinda like what they've already done with Galchenyuk and Drouin). Or take Dobson.

In my eyes, Zadina should be going 3rd to someone. If he falls to us, we take him and run as fast as we can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad