Proposal: If you were the Leafs GM would you trade Jake Gardiner?

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
if we're able to put him in an package or multiple player deal to get mackinnon, drouin or barkov, i'd be interested. gardiner could still top out at a d1 but more realistically d2-3.

while he's not karlsson, smooth skating offensive d who are impact players are coveted in the nhl; besides reilly and kaberle, we haven't had anyone like gardiner in the last 10 years. there are really only a handful in that category.

the only roster players that would interest me are duchene, eberle, hall, and maybe huberdeau and seguin, but i doubt that those teams would part with those players, even if we sweetened the deal. but imo it would have to be a real first line forward to part with gardiner; i'm pretty happy with his play and wouldn't feel the urge to trade him.

with reilly coming up and guys like percy, blacker, finn having a shot to make the existing team, our d is looking like it has real potential.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Jake Gardiner is a young exciting player to watch, however he is more suited for Ron Wilson style system then a Randy Carlyle one.

This might be the very reason Leafs are willing to part with him for a young center.

With Colorado primed to take MacKinnon shortly I'd seriously try to pry Matt Duchene out of Colorado and be dangling Jake in that offer to do so. Both teams then address an area of need.

In a way history would be repeating itself because the last time Quebec\Denver had an abundance of centers Leafs were able to pry Mats Sundin away from the organization.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Jake Gardiner is a young exciting player to watch, however he is more suited for Ron Wilson style system then a Randy Carlyle one.

I've never understood why people say that...

Carlyle had Niedermayer on his Cup winning team. Selanne as well for those that previously said Kessel wouldn't fit with Carlyle.

Later on he had Visnovsky and Fowler who he was able to use quite effectively. All teams need PMD, even defensive ones.

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto

Carlyle had Niedermayer on his Cup winning team. Selanne as well for those that previously said Kessel wouldn't fit with Carlyle.

Later on he had Visnovsky and Fowler who he was able to use quite effectively. All teams need PMD, even defensive ones.

We have Rielly coming up soon, probably not next season but the season after.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

Agreed. There's reason to move him with the prospect depth the Leafs have in the system (especially LD), but it's silly to suggest he can't work in a Carlyle system.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
We have Rielly coming up soon, probably not next season but the season after.

Sure. But that has nothing to do with whether or not Gardiner can work well on a Carlyle style team.

That's an argument about trading from a position of strength, and also an argument I happen to agree with (depending on the trade return obviously).

stakesishigh

how swede it is
Jul 9, 2009
Toronto
The only way I'd trade Gardiner would be if it meant addressing a serious need on this team from arguably a position of strength, a player that would solidify the hole(s) we have without question.

The thought scares me because I think he's an extremely good player and will only get better.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Scott Niedermayer is a HHOF defenseman and was never a defensive liability but rather one of the best dmen in the league. I think its a poor comparable to Gardiner particular at this stage of his career. Might as well use Bobby Orr as a reference point for all PMD to validate their ability in any system. :wg:

Cam Fowler is more suitable of a reference point, however Carlyle was fired from Anaheim because he didn't get the team results and the errors of young Fowler (-25 & -28 in 2010-11 & 2011-12) contributed to his eventual demise also.

Gardiner played only a handful of NHL games last regular season and was even a healthy scratch in the playoffs this year under Carlyle. Gardiner is prone to give-aways and his defensive positioning in non existent when he joins the rush excessively. This would drive a defense first coach nuts where Gardiner is concerned. Even a veteran like JM Liles spent over a month in the pressbox as a healthy scratch because he didn't fit Carlyle's system, and still doesn't.

Ron Wilson pond hockey is where Gardiner excelled, because defense was a secondary concern in that system that resulted in the among the leagues worst goals against. Gardiner was free to room as he pleased.. Carlyle does not accept that and so there is a major difference in expectations. Can Gardiner be groomed and harnessed to know when and where its appropriate to attack? Sure, but it would require Gardiner to change his game to suit Carlyle's system and that is my whole point.

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
In the majority of threads I have read that invole the Leafs trading Jake Gardiner I have been against the Leafs trading him, because I think he will become an elite level Defensman.

However the only time I would consider trading him is if a Centre like Matt Duchene would be coming to Toronto.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad