Proposal: If you were the Leafs GM would you trade Jake Gardiner?

Mar 26, 2010
With the draft this weekend and the open market around the corner there seems to much talk or Gardiner being traded. I think that is a HUGE mistake! It is not everyday that you see a young D man that comes around with his skill and hockey smarts. The kid can skate amazing and has patience like a seasoned veteran.

I believe he is going to develop into a Karlsson like D man.

If you guys were on the hot seat right now, Would you deal Jake? And what would the return have to be.

Mods, the poll says it closed. Can you fix so we can see where all of our Leafs nation stands on this topic. Thanks

Last edited:

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
I wouldn't trade Jake for anything, but Nonis will for sure.

I'd trade anyone else, Rielly, Biggs, Percy, Colborne, Finn, but not gardiner. Carlyle is being a huge **** about him, all he needs is another full season to shine.

Bernier the Boats

Formerly BBurke
Aug 31, 2011
What are we getting back?

If it's a player that's already elite at their position like Letang, sure. If it's a sideways move for a project centre like Couturier, no thanks.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
We're only trading Gardiner for someone like Couts, ROR or 7 OA. Not players like Stastny or Gagner..

Jul 10, 2003
KW
With the draft this weekend and the open market around the corner there seems to much talk or Gardiner being traded. I think that is a HUGE mistake! It is not everyday that you see a young D man that comes around with his skill and hockey smarts. The kid can skate amazing and has patience like a seasoned veteran.

I believe he is going to develop into a Karlsson like D man.

If you guys were on the hot seat right now, Would you deal Jake? And what would the return have to be.

There is nobody on this team who I wouldn't deal for the right offer.

For Jake, I'd trade him for a top 7 pick if Barkov or Monahan are available.

Kbs

Jun 30, 2008
London ON
What are we getting back?

If it's a player that's already elite at their position like Letang, sure. If it's a sideways move for a project centre like Couturier, no thanks.

This.

Basically, for me, if Gardiner is traded then it better be for a proven player. There's no reason why the Leafs should take a step back (or lateral step) in the developmental process by trading him for a pick or a player like Couturier.

Mar 26, 2010
Hey guys, is the poll working for you. Says it closed when I try to vote.

Ten

Apr 25, 2007
Toronto.
No player should ever be untouchable.

That said, I recognize Jake Gardiner's potential and will suggest that if he becomes the player he can be, he might be the best player in the entire organization. It is on this basis that I would do my best to avoid dealing him in any trade.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
No player should ever be untouchable.

That said, I recognize Jake Gardiner's potential and will suggest that if he becomes the player he can be, he might be the best player in the entire organization. It is on this basis that I would do my best to avoid dealing him in any trade.

Well said

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
On behalf of the Red Wings I'd like to offer you a 5th round pick, some Little Ceasar's pizza coupons and Kyle Quincey? Deal?

Serious question; I live in Toronto but I'm from Detroit so I don't follow the Leafs (or didn't until now, as we'll be in the same division as you guys) but WHAT is the problem with Gardiner?

I really only saw the tail end of the series vs the Bruins but he looked incredible to me, the guy is huge, smooth/great skater, his passing seemed fine. I mean I would literally kill someone to get a guy like that onto our roster. Why does your coach hate him?

Seriously not trolling, I live here, I want to get interested in the Leafs (although I'm not giving up my "home town" team) but it seems frustrating when they do things like trade for a goalie (I thought the goalie was fine? Many ppl said he's WHY you made the playoffs) or refuse to play a guy who looks like Chris Pronger but skates like Nick Lidstrom.

LeaffanDM

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
for a player like Letang? no. i think gards will be a better player in his prime then Letang is now. too much of a gamble to take.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
It all depends on the return. I don't want to trade Gardiner, but if it was for Letang or Couture.......I'd want to trade Gardiner.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
One of the most overrated players we have. I'd move him if the return was good.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I pretty much go with the standard idea that anyone can be traded if it's in the right deal. I have no interest though in just moving him for whatever happens to be out there. There's no rush to make any moves like that.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
On behalf of the Red Wings I'd like to offer you a 5th round pick, some Little Ceasar's pizza coupons and Kyle Quincey? Deal?

Serious question; I live in Toronto but I'm from Detroit so I don't follow the Leafs (or didn't until now, as we'll be in the same division as you guys) but WHAT is the problem with Gardiner?

I really only saw the tail end of the series vs the Bruins but he looked incredible to me, the guy is huge, smooth/great skater, his passing seemed fine. I mean I would literally kill someone to get a guy like that onto our roster. Why does your coach hate him?

Seriously not trolling, I live here, I want to get interested in the Leafs (although I'm not giving up my "home town" team) but it seems frustrating when they do things like trade for a goalie (I thought the goalie was fine? Many ppl said he's WHY you made the playoffs) or refuse to play a guy who looks like Chris Pronger but skates like Nick Lidstrom.

Gardiner is listed at 6'2, lidstrom 6'1.

Pronged is 6'6... Gardiner is much closer in size to lidstrom.

Are you thinking of franson? He's listed at 6'5, but he definitely isn't a swift skater.

snizzbone*

for a player like Letang? no. i think gards will be a better player in his prime then Letang is now. too much of a gamble to take.

The best we could hope for is that he is close to being as good as Letang is.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
If it makes the team better over the next 5-7 years? Of course.

What other answer is there?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad