Proposal: If you were the Leafs GM would you trade Jake Gardiner?

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
WHAT is everyone's pre-occupation with Couturier?

By far the most overrated under-21 player in the NHL.

I cant figure this out either. He had a decent playoff with Philly, but stll doesnt justify the love he gets on here.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
I wouldn't trade Jake for anything, but Nonis will for sure.

I'd trade anyone else, Rielly, Biggs, Percy, Colborne, Finn, but not gardiner. Carlyle is being a huge **** about him, all he needs is another full season to shine.

You would trade Reilly but not Gardiner?

:facepalm:

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
What are we getting back?

If it's a player that's already elite at their position like Letang, sure. If it's a sideways move for a project centre like Couturier, no thanks.

Exactly. The Leafs have another young offensive defenceman waiting in the wings who, by all accounts, is going to be a great one so, as much as I like Gardiner, he is expendable for the right return. You have to give to get.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
for a player like Letang? no. i think gards will be a better player in his prime then Letang is now. too much of a gamble to take.

212px-Homer_Simpson_2006.png

I love Gards but come on.......
Its people who set set ridiculously expectations like this that end up turning on the player later because he cant meet them.

TML91

Jul 24, 2010
I would trade Gardiner only if the price is right I feel we can get a top 2 center at the spot we are at some guys might slip like Lazar Gauthier Wennberg. I feel trading for letang is pointless obviously he is way better than Gardiner but the potential is there for this kid and at a cheaper price, and I feel it's a side ways step if we trade Gardiner it should be for a young Center but not a guy like SC or Gagner good player but too small and we have guys like him hence Kadri. I say keep Gardiner unless blown out of the water we are in the driver seat no rush to move this kid stay put sign a d man and see if we can sign VC.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Gardiner might be our best defenceman already, but the Leafs chose to play stiffs instead for most of last season (Phaneuf with Holzer is still giving me nightmares) This year we should finally see what he can do getting big minutes for the full duration.

I would move him with great caution. the return would need to really help us.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
No.

I just don't see a deal out there for him. Toronto's needs are few and substantial. The only one that would be worth trading Gardiner for is a #1 centre, and I don't think any centres available to us for Gardiner are going to be substantial upgrades over Bozak/Weiss/Lecavalier.

AuGsY

Nov 7, 2011
RNH is a future star #1 centre. Mark my words

okay so what? You're giving up on two potential great players in Gardiner, and Kadri, PLUS our 1st rnd pick in what is supposed to be a very deep draft.

say we do it:

JVR - RNH - KESSEL
Lupul - Grabo? - kulemin
mac - colborne - ??
orr - mcclement - maclaren

Phaneuf - gunnar
Franson - ????
Fraser - Liles

By filling 1 hole, you've opened up two major ones plus gave away our 1st.
Also RNH isn't a star just yet.

Gardiner + 1st + mid prospect would be more like it.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Wow, I'm surprised he's only 6'2"; are Boston forwards a bunch of midgets? It was definitely #51 tho and that's Gardiner.

I'd have guessed 6'4", no lie. Sorry for that. I think the question is still fair though; why does your coach hate him so much? I really thought he looked like an amazing player. Was he awful the whole year and just had a few good games against Boston or something?

Our coach doesn't hate him and don't listen to anyone who suggests that. Because of the lockout, Gardiner started the year playing for the Marlies where he suffered a concussion. When he was ready to return, he was eventually brought up to the Leafs but he was struggling and it was felt that he needed more time with the Marlies for conditioning purposes so he was sent back down. When they finally felt he was ready, he returned, had a great comeback game but slowly fell off the radar due to poor defensive mistakes. He ended up getting scratched for a number of games and I think was scratched for game 1 of the playoffs. Carlyle made it clear that Gardiner needed to pay more attention to his defence. After game 1, Carlyle realize that the Leafs needed to utilize an obvious strength over the Bruins which was their skating so as a result, Gardiner and Liles (offensive minded D that are great skaters) were put into the line-up. Gardiner pretty much went beast mode in the playoffs and not just with his offensive chances but he was making great defensive plays. I can assure you, that the Gardiner you saw was easily the best Gardiner has ever played and it was a reminder to all of us of the kind of special player he can be.

WWB

Jun 30, 2010
Ontario
I hope the Leafs don't have trade Gardiner. He is however their best chip to play. If they do trade him, I could only see it being under a very few circumstances.

In a package for a young legit number one center, in the same age group as the rest of the young core.

In a package for a young legit number one defenceman, in the same age group as the rest of the Leafs core.

Or in a one for one trade for a prospect or a draft pick who the scouts believe will be a legit number one center and be ready to make an impact sooner than later.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
okay so what? You're giving up on two potential great players in Gardiner, and Kadri, PLUS our 1st rnd pick in what is supposed to be a very deep draft.

say we do it:

JVR - RNH - KESSEL
Lupul - Grabo? - kulemin
mac - colborne - ??
orr - mcclement - maclaren

Phaneuf - gunnar
Franson - ????
Fraser - Liles

By filling 1 hole, you've opened up two major ones plus gave away our 1st.
Also RNH isn't a star just yet.

Gardiner + 1st + mid prospect would be more like it.

Honestly...

JvR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Kulemin
Colborne- Grabo -- ??
Orr-McClement-McLaren

Phaneuf-Gunnarsson
Franson-????
Fraser-Gardiner

Looks a lot better.

RNH at this point just isn't an upgrade over the other options we have at centre.

someonestolemyname

Jun 15, 2013
Toronto
People keep saying that Rielly will be better than Gardiner when we have no idea if that is true. Everyone thought that Schenn was going to be a big part of our core but obviously not.. You cant just assume this just because he was picked at #5. So until we are sure Rielly will be a stud defensemen we should hold on to Gardiner.

Salgari

Apr 29, 2004
www.myspace.com
Our coach doesn't hate him and don't listen to anyone who suggests that. Because of the lockout, Gardiner started the year playing for the Marlies where he suffered a concussion. When he was ready to return, he was eventually brought up to the Leafs but he was struggling and it was felt that he needed more time with the Marlies for conditioning purposes so he was sent back down. When they finally felt he was ready, he returned, had a great comeback game but slowly fell off the radar due to poor defensive mistakes. He ended up getting scratched for a number of games and I think was scratched for game 1 of the playoffs. Carlyle made it clear that Gardiner needed to pay more attention to his defence. After game 1, Carlyle realize that the Leafs needed to utilize an obvious strength over the Bruins which was their skating so as a result, Gardiner and Liles (offensive minded D that are great skaters) were put into the line-up. Gardiner pretty much went beast mode in the playoffs and not just with his offensive chances but he was making great defensive plays. I can assure you, that the Gardiner you saw was easily the best Gardiner has ever played and it was a reminder to all of us of the kind of special player he can be.

Carlyle finally played Gardiner because of injuries. All coaches make mistakes, like every other person, and Randy was downright moronic in his treatment of Gardiner this year

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
I would only trade him to get one of the top 3 picks this year (obviously as part of a package). The guy rules. I think the Boston series really showed what a game changer he is. Of course he choked on the series losing goal but after the Boston comeback in the third I doubt any of the Leafs were thinking clearly. I think he'll be the next Leetch and will turn out to be easily as good as Rielly. He has a game breaking element to his game that you don't see very often in defencemen (maybe the longer development in NCAA helped bring that about).

WWB

Jun 30, 2010
Ontario
Carlyle finally played Gardiner because of injuries. All coaches make mistakes, like every other person, and Randy was downright moronic in his treatment of Gardiner this year

It's funny how one person see's things as moronic and others see it as wisdom. I for one like the way the Leafs are finally being patient with how they develop players. For the first time in a long time the Leafs are developing their own players and when they are finally ready to play, they are ready to make an impact. I really don't understand what the rush was all about with the fans and Gardiner this year, it's not like taking their time with him has hurt him any.
He was dynamite in the playoffs. He was also dynamite in the AHL this year before his concussion.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Gardiner should be kept. He has another ELC year and an affordable bridge contract ahead of him, which is very important in keeping this team's salary structure from ballooning all of a sudden.

I don't think a pricey investment in Letang makes that much sense. I imagine if he wants to come here as reported, he could always be scooped up as a UFA if he decides to test. And just because a random star player hits the market doesn't mean you have to pay retail for him.

If we could get an absolute sweetheart deal for a center in Gardiner's age group with similar upside, I'd consider moving him. But that's probably like Seguin, Duchene, or something like that.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto

Who was injured that got Gardiner back in the line-up?

I think Gardiner on a bad day is more useful than Kostka or O'Byrne but Gardiner wasn't playing like he had undoubtedly 'earned' a spot on the roster. If you think so, then we have different ideas of what is expected of a d-man.

There's more than one way to look at the situation. The Leafs didn't NEED Gardiner to win games. They were winning games while he was out injured, playing with the Marlies and sitting in the press box therefore there was no reason to play him at all costs. Maybe the conditions for getting back into the line-up wasn't about being the better option because of injuries or because all the other options suck, maybe it was about showing the commitment and making strides in the areas he was told he needs to work on. Maybe Carlyle felt that a young and inexperienced player needed to learn how to earn his way back into a line-up rather than handing him the spot.

You may not disagree with that but then again, you aren't an NHL coach so your opinion (and mine) means very little to the reality of the situation.

Salgari

Apr 29, 2004
www.myspace.com
Who was injured that got Gardiner back in the line-up?

I think Gardiner on a bad day is more useful than Kostka or O'Byrne but Gardiner wasn't playing like he had undoubtedly 'earned' a spot on the roster. If you think so, then we have different ideas of what is expected of a d-man.

There's more than one way to look at the situation. The Leafs didn't NEED Gardiner to win games. They were winning games while he was out injured, playing with the Marlies and sitting in the press box therefore there was no reason to play him at all costs. Maybe the conditions for getting back into the line-up wasn't about being the better option because of injuries or because all the other options suck, maybe it was about showing the commitment and making strides in the areas he was told he needs to work on. Maybe Carlyle felt that a young and inexperienced player needed to learn how to earn his way back into a line-up rather than handing him the spot.

You may not disagree with that but then again, you aren't an NHL coach so your opinion (and mine) means very little to the reality of the situation.

I think Kostka broke his finger.

Absolutely its my opinion. Still Carlyle handed crazy icetime to the Holzers and Kostkas and chose to sit Jake who had already proven to be an nhl player.

Coaches make mistakes too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad