Proposal: If you were David Poile what do you do in the off-season? Just for fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I can't see us paying him more than $9M. And as of now that's only on a 7-year deal. So indeed it's a test of how much he'd truly want to play here, because I bet some team out there offers truly Stupid money above our best offer. 4 more weeks!

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Insiders also think Duchene wants to play for Nashville, look at Friedman's tweet above.

My point is anything that's being said publicly has either been said to Poile privately and confirmed or else is just so much flatus in the wind

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I have high intelligence autism. When it comes to hockey I'm like that meme from the Hangover with the calculus flying around that guy's head. I run EVERY possibility for movement.

When it comes to this off-season, I don't know but it feels like Poile is scrambling. I also want to know the new coach's input on the roster.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
This is simple as there are two paths. One with Duchene, one without.

If we sign Duchene, move Turris and Ellis to get top 6 winger help who has shown they can play that way in the playoffs.

If we don't sign Duchene, move Ellis with a forward like Smith or Jarnkrok for a top 6 forward that has some size and is a playoff performer. Hope Turris finds his stride again with his new teammate OR linemates. The new acquisition could be paired with Joey and Arvy and you move Fil to play on the left side, have Granlund play the left side and once again, hope Turris finds his game. Having two guys with some heaviness to their game like Fil and Granlund could take some of that load off of Turris.

I prefer option 1. Regardless of what happens, I think we have to move Ellis to get out from under his contract as that will become a larger albatross than Turris's. To move Subban creates a bigger hole on the backend than we can afford. I think we absorb the loss of Ellis a lot easier with Fabbro moving in to the top 4. I also think you pair Subban to play with Josi and Fabbro can play with Ekholm. It would allow Josi to keep doing what he does best and allows Fabbro to learn from a steady vet in Ekholm.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011

i think it's safe to say at this point especially since there has been smoke over duchene/nashville for years now that as long as we come within 500k-1million of the top offer, we have a great chance of landing him.

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
I still think that people who think that Duchene is gonna come here and turn this thing around are out to lunch.

Duchene is better than Turris for sure, but not that much.

You say that, but just wait until Duchene takes over the PP coach duties, uses motivational speaking to make Turris a 60 point player, and mentors Tolvanen.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
This is simple as there are two paths. One with Duchene, one without.

If we sign Duchene, move Turris and Ellis to get top 6 winger help who has shown they can play that way in the playoffs.

If we don't sign Duchene, move Ellis with a forward like Smith or Jarnkrok for a top 6 forward that has some size and is a playoff performer. Hope Turris finds his stride again with his new teammate OR linemates. The new acquisition could be paired with Joey and Arvy and you move Fil to play on the left side, have Granlund play the left side and once again, hope Turris finds his game. Having two guys with some heaviness to their game like Fil and Granlund could take some of that load off of Turris.

I prefer option 1. Regardless of what happens, I think we have to move Ellis to get out from under his contract as that will become a larger albatross than Turris's. To move Subban creates a bigger hole on the backend than we can afford. I think we absorb the loss of Ellis a lot easier with Fabbro moving in to the top 4. I also think you pair Subban to play with Josi and Fabbro can play with Ekholm. It would allow Josi to keep doing what he does best and allows Fabbro to learn from a steady vet in Ekholm.
Total agreement on all fronts!

My only concern is: while this seems like the obvious logical approach... it still doesn't factor in any potential loyalty issues that Poile would have to overcome. I hope he can get over whatever personal commitment he feels he made when he signed Turris and Ellis to those contracts and make the right moves for the team instead. But these two paths inherently presume that he can - which I don't think is a very safe presumption, alas. :(

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
Total agreement on all fronts!

My only concern is: while this seems like the obvious logical approach... it still doesn't factor in any potential loyalty issues that Poile would have to overcome. I hope he can get over whatever personal commitment he feels he made when he signed Turris and Ellis to those contracts and make the right moves for the team instead. But these two paths inherently presume that he can - which I don't think is a very safe presumption, alas. :(

I could see us trading Bonino instead

Y3TI

Sep 28, 2017
Avs fan here (do live in Spring Hill though) that follows the Preds a bit. With that Portzline Tweet, would it not make sense to trade Turris straight up for Duchene’s UFA rights? CBJ gets a replacement player signed to term, Nashville gets Dutchy and frees up the money to sign him. Seems like a perfect fit for both sides IMO

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Avs fan here (do live in Spring Hill though) that follows the Preds a bit. With that Portzline Tweet, would it not make sense to trade Turris straight up for Duchene’s UFA rights? CBJ gets a replacement player signed to term, Nashville gets Dutchy and frees up the money to sign him. Seems like a perfect fit for both sides IMO
it's a lot to give up for a guy in duchene "that loves nashville the most"... why give up an asset when UFA rights go for late round picks?

regardless of what the morons on HF say, turris has value. and i am one of turris' biggest haters.

Y3TI

Sep 28, 2017
it's a lot to give up for a guy in duchene "that loves nashville the most"... why give up an asset when UFA rights go for late round picks?

regardless of what the morons on HF say, turris has value. and i am one of turris' biggest haters.

Clears cap and a spot in the lineup is how I see it tbh. Just moving his contract alone frees up about 75% of Dutchy’s salary. Turris is a player that I don’t think has much more value than a late round pick at this point. Look at players similar to Turris; Ennis and Brassard for example, offensive players like that have to be in the top-6 to be effective, and commonly completely fall off the map out of nowhere. That’s such a risk for a player with his term and salary remaining. He could be kept and put on Duchene’s wing, but I would think at some point soon that Tolvanen needs to be given a spot to prove himself, and it’d be better to put him there than Turris. JMO and I obviously could be completely out to lunch on it though

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Clears cap and a spot in the lineup is how I see it tbh. Just moving his contract alone frees up about 75% of Dutchy’s salary. Turris is a player that I don’t think has much more value than a late round pick at this point. Look at players similar to Turris; Ennis and Brassard for example, offensive players like that have to be in the top-6 to be effective, and commonly completely fall off the map out of nowhere. That’s such a risk for a player with his term and salary remaining. He could be kept and put on Duchene’s wing, but I would think at some point soon that Tolvanen needs to be given a spot to prove himself, and it’d be better to put him there than Turris. JMO and I obviously could be completely out to lunch on it though
you aren't the first to share that opinion.

i for one find it to be completely false and if turris was traded for duchene's UFA rights (regardless of the certainty he would sign with us), i would call for poile's immediate dismissal.

Reactions: PredsV82

Y3TI

Sep 28, 2017
you aren't the first to share that opinion.

i for one find it to be completely false and if turris was traded for duchene's UFA rights (regardless of the certainty he would sign with us), i would call for poile's immediate dismissal.

And you are completely within your rights to feel that way. There’s a reason the Avs are in desperate need of a #2 Center, and it’s unanimous amongst our board that we would wouldn’t want Turris to be brought in for anything more than we paid for Colin Wilson (4th round pick). The same can be said for the majority of fan bases on HF. I think you are sorely overrating the value of Turris and that contract. Poile has made some bad trades the last few years, but trading Turris for Duchene’s UFA rights would not fit into that category

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
And you are completely within your rights to feel that way. There’s a reason the Avs are in desperate need of a #2 Center, and it’s unanimous amongst our board that we would wouldn’t want Turris to be brought in for anything more than we paid for Colin Wilson (4th round pick). The same can be said for the majority of fan bases on HF. I think you are sorely overrating the value of Turris and that contract. Poile has made some bad trades the last few years, but trading Turris for Duchene’s UFA rights would not fit into that category
no one here is asking for anything significant in return for turris.

hayes UFA rights went for a 5th round pick. if you believe turris is worth less than that well i don't know. hockey in Canada must be down considering he was just their team captain.

HF boards does not equal reality.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

Y3TI

Sep 28, 2017
no one here is asking for anything significant in return for turris.

hayes UFA rights went for a 5th round pick. if you believe turris is worth less than that well i don't know. hockey in Canada must be down considering he was just their team captain.

HF boards does not equal reality.

Kevin Hayes also just came off of a 55 point season and provides significantly more value away from the puck than Turris. Whether you agree or not, Turris isn’t worth what you think, a team taking him on hopes that he can bounce back to 50 points, as his contract is an albatross if he doesn’t. He is an offense only player that didn’t even provide that last year, and yes, it was a down year for Canada at the WCs. Stone and Mantha pretty much carried that team to the finals, you can’t use that tournament as a barometer for how a player will do in the NHL, Finland won that tournament with a bunch of nobodies and beat a STACKED Russia team in the semis, but from the sounds of it, you didn’t watch anything but the box scores and maybe a highlight or 2.

Either way, I was just making a suggestion, take it as you want. Enjoy the rest of the playoffs, draft, and succeeding off-season

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
... Avs are in desperate need of a #2 Center...
And if for whatever reason we don't get into terms with Duchene, then we will be in a desperate need of a #2 center too.

How stupid would that make Poile look?

They could do something else tho:

1) Agree on Turris deal, but not finalize it
2) Trade us Duchene rights for whatever low pick
3) If Duchene signs a deal with us, carry out that agreed Turris deal

Reactions: NNCbama

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Kevin Hayes also just came off of a 55 point season and provides significantly more value away from the puck than Turris. Whether you agree or not, Turris isn’t worth what you think, a team taking him on hopes that he can bounce back to 50 points, as his contract is an albatross if he doesn’t. He is an offense only player that didn’t even provide that last year, and yes, it was a down year for Canada at the WCs. Stone and Mantha pretty much carried that team to the finals, you can’t use that tournament as a barometer for how a player will do in the NHL, Finland won that tournament with a bunch of nobodies and beat a STACKED Russia team in the semis, but from the sounds of it, you didn’t watch anything but the box scores and maybe a highlight or 2.

Either way, I was just making a suggestion, take it as you want. Enjoy the rest of the playoffs, draft, and succeeding off-season
i suggest you look up hayes versus turris stats over their career.... and are you really saying hayes is some lock down center? I'll give you help in regards to turris and hayes. turris has hit 50 points 4 times and had a 64 point season. he was injured majority of last year. hayes was working on UFA status and oh my we have never seen a guy have a career year in a contract year right? a 55 point career year at that. hayes has 1 50 point season and turris is better at the dot.

what are you trying to prove here buddy.. your assessment is just bad and you are talking to the biggest turris hater on this board. ask around...

better yet, don't.. just take your typical HF garbage to the main trade boards so people that know a lick or 2 about said players can laugh.

as far as watching the boxscores of the worlds... i watched every game but one of turris and was shitting on him the whole tournament even while racking up points. i even mentioned mantha carrying the play. seriously take your bullshit elsewhere. i should have known better than to entertain main board drivel on our board.

Last edited:

Y3TI

Sep 28, 2017
And if for whatever reason we don't get into terms with Duchene, then we will be in a desperate need of a #2 center too.

How stupid would that make Poile look?

They could do something else tho:

1) Agree on Turris deal, but not finalize it
2) Trade us Duchene rights for whatever low pick
3) If Duchene signs a deal with us, carry out that agreed Turris deal

That’s the entire idea behind the whole trade I proposed earlier, you get the contract agreed upon, and then trade Turris for Duchene’s rights. You can do it the way you mention, but seems like a wasted pick and transaction to me. If you’re acquiring a player’s rights, it’s generally because you were given permission beforehand to speak with the agent. Unless you’re Buffalo, you don’t trade an asset for a player’s rights without knowing numbers and have the contract basically hammered out

Y3TI

Sep 28, 2017
i suggest you look up hayes versus turris stats over their career.... and are you really saying hayes is some lock down center? I'll give you help in regards to turris and hayes. turris has hit 50 points 4 times and had a 64 point season. he was injured majority of last year. hayes was working on UFA status and oh my we have never seen a guy have a career year in a contract year right? a 55 point career year at that. hayes has 1 50 point season and turris is better at the dot.

what are you trying to prove here buddy.. your assessment is just bad and you are talking to the biggest turris hater on this board. ask around...

better yet, don't.. just take your typical HF garbage to the main trade boards so people that know a lick or 2 about said players can laugh.

as far as watching the boxscores of the worlds... i watched every game but one of turris and was ****ting on him the whole tournament even while racking up points. i even mentioned mantha carrying the play. seriously take your bull**** elsewhere. i should have known better than to entertain main board drivel on our board.

Value of: - Kyle Turris

There ya go. Numerous Nashville fans willing to give him away, and to compare that to Kevin Hayes who as a rental returned a 1st and a prospect so if you’re trying to compare trade values, there’s that.

I never said that Hayes was a lock down center, but he is able to pk and play a shutdown line role, something Turris will never do. Also, much of Turris’ time in Ottawa he was playing 1st line minutes with PP time, Hayes was never in that role with NYR and was for whatever reason put in a 3rd line checking role by Winnipeg. If you just want to look at stat lines and use that as your measuring stick for a player, then no wonder you have proven to have no clue about what actually goes on in hockey.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Value of: - Kyle Turris

There ya go. Numerous Nashville fans willing to give him away, and to compare that to Kevin Hayes who as a rental returned a 1st and a prospect so if you’re trying to compare trade values, there’s that.

I never said that Hayes was a lock down center, but he is able to pk and play a shutdown line role, something Turris will never do. Also, much of Turris’ time in Ottawa he was playing 1st line minutes with PP time, Hayes was never in that role with NYR and was for whatever reason put in a 3rd line checking role by Winnipeg. If you just want to look at stat lines and use that as your measuring stick for a player, then no wonder you have proven to have no clue about what actually goes on in hockey.
you are so full of shit.

this hayes versus turris debate was started because you said hayes UFA RIGHTS not the player... again not the player... Was worth more than turris the player. that is a complete load of shit. turris for a 5th round pick equivalent. that is what you told us preds fans we should be happy with. HF does not equal real life kid.

you really enjoy moving the goalposts. I'm done responding to your nonsense.

Y3TI

Sep 28, 2017
you are so full of ****.

this hayes versus turris debate was started because you said hayes UFA RIGHTS not the player... again not the player... Was worth more than turris the player. that is a complete load of ****. turris for a 5th round pick equivalent. that is what you told us preds fans we should be happy with. HF does not equal real life kid.

you really enjoy moving the goalposts. I'm done responding to your nonsense.

Read the thread! Turris’ value is at max the same as what Hayes’ right were traded for! Nobody is taking on that contract risk for anything of value or money going back, period. Preds posters are literally willing to take on a 7th round pick.... last I checked a 5th > 7th

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
That’s the entire idea behind the whole trade I proposed earlier, you get the contract agreed upon, and then trade Turris for Duchene’s rights. You can do it the way you mention, but seems like a wasted pick and transaction to me. If you’re acquiring a player’s rights, it’s generally because you were given permission beforehand to speak with the agent. Unless you’re Buffalo, you don’t trade an asset for a player’s rights without knowing numbers and have the contract basically hammered out
Perhaps that pick is the price we have to pay for the chance to negotiate with Duchene before July 1

Y3TI

Sep 28, 2017
Perhaps that pick is the price we have to pay for the chance to negotiate with Duchene before July 1

Winnipeg gave permission to Colorado and Philly to speak with Hayes’ agent about contract details prior to trading his rights, Colorado wasn’t willing to give him what he was wanting, thus his rights were traded to Philly, who was willing to give him that. The same situation is what would happen in trading Turris for Duchene’s rights. The contract is agreed upon, then the trade would happen to clear out Turris’ cap space, then the contract is signed. Instead of trading the pick to negotiate the contract, then trading Turris, you just trade Turris for Duchene’s rights and sign him

E: if you trade for his rights, you don’t have to wait for July 1, you can sign him immediately. That’s what happened with the Mark Stone deal to VGK, and we did it a few years ago with Carl Soderberg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad