If you had to choose, who would you want? Gardiner or Myers?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Against the second weakest QoC on the team. Gardiner at 5 or 6 you can live with. Any higher and it's a problem.

You'd think a guy with high possession numbers would have racked up some more points.
More than tied for the most ESP on the backend? I thought you said he struggled last year?

HonestHockey*

More than tied for the most ESP on the backend? I thought you said he struggled last year?

I didn't say he struggled. I'm saying he's a terrible player when it coimes to an overall game. Terrible hockey IQ.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I didn't say he struggled. I'm saying he's a terrible player when it coimes to an overall game. Terrible hockey IQ.

The comparisons always have to be apples to apples.

Myers plays the most minutes for a defensemen against the highest QoC on his team. Any young player may struggle with that. Gardiner plays his mins against the second weakest QoC on the team and struggles with that.

And Gardiner is no-where near good defensively.

You didn't?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
The comparisons always have to be apples to apples.

Myers plays the most minutes for a defensemen against the highest QoC on his team. Any young player may struggle with that. Gardiner plays his mins against the second weakest QoC on the team and struggles with that.

And Gardiner is no-where near good defensively.

Really?

And no, terrible players don't get that kind of stats no matter how their QoC looks. What is Rielly then, considering he did worse? As for Gardiners production, he had the 45th best production for his position despite not playing on the 1PP for a majority of the season.

HonestHockey*

Really?

And no, terrible players don't get that kind of stats no matter how their QoC looks. What is Rielly then, considering he did worse?

19. And quite simply a much smarter hockey player with a style that will allow him to be stronger on the puck and an overall much better player by the time he's Gardiners age.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
For our team, definitely Myers. I like Gardiner a lot, but he plays a very similar role to Rielly (left handed, great skating offensive dman), but with less talent. You would never put the two on the same pairing. He's also a bit too similar to Phaneuf - better skater, smaller/less physical, but still a lefty offensive catalyst type dman. Ideally, none of Phaneuf, Gardiner and Rielly are on the same pairing. Then you look at our top two defensive prospects, Finn and Percy, and they're ALSO lefties who are more offensive than defensive, and none of Phaneuf/Rielly/Gardiner/Finn/Percy seem like particularly strong potential d parterns.

Myers has been struggling a lot, but he's a 6'8", right handed dman with massive upside. I'd say his potential is higher than Gardiner's for any team, and he's a better fit for our roster, trading Gards for Myers straight up would be a no-brainer.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Phaneuf for Myers straight up. Both players could use a change of scenery.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
19. And quite simply a much smarter hockey player with a style that will allow him to be stronger on the puck and an overall much better player by the time he's Gardiners age.

Youth doesn't make a player better. You said Gardiner is terrible, but Rielly did much worse this season so he must be beyond terrible right now. You are damn right Rielly will get better, but the discussion was about here and now. Both of them are young with potential and can get better.

You are basically saying that since Gardiner isn't absolutely ripping up the NHL in every area with his easy minutes, he is a terrible player. With that kind of judgement, most of the D-men in NHL could be said to be absolutely terrible.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Jake Gardiner put up 0.38 points per game, while Myers put up 0.35.

Myers did it with the toughest QoC, while Gardiner did it with the easiest.

That's probably why Myers is -26 and Gardiner is -4. Flip teams and positions, and Gardiner probably puts up less production and gets Myers's -26, while it's tough to think that Myers wouldn't get as many points with Gardiner's +/-.

By the way, both Gardiner (2:17) and Myers (2:29) got nearly identical PP time this year.

Myers is the better defenceman today. He's had more responsibilities, he's played on much ****tier teams, he's put up similar production, and he would easily repeat his rookie season if he was once again sheltered in the same way the Jake Gardiner is right now.

They're both great young defencemen with huge potential. Myers could be something special if he put it all together and got a little meaner. Gardiner looks like Scotty Niedermayer out there at times.

I'd love to have both.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
Yeah Gardiner struggled his way to the best GA/60 among D, best possession numbers among D and second best even strength production among D.

:teach2: Class is in session.
Gardiner is a solid defensemen who is good at getting the puck out, and can produce points. Plus can skate like the wind. Skating is so important in todays NHL. Gardiner is the better player at a cheaper price.

HonestHockey*

Youth doesn't make a player better. You said Gardiner is terrible, but Rielly did much worse this season so he must be beyond terrible right now. You are damn right Rielly will get better, but the discussion was about here and now. Both of them are young with potential and can get better.

You are basically saying that since Gardiner isn't absolutely ripping up the NHL in every area with his easy minutes, he is a terrible player. With that kind of judgement, most of the D-men in NHL could be said to be absolutely terrible.

Gardiner is 4 years Rielly's senior and hasn't shown any signs of improving his play without the puck or with the puck for that matter. Rielly simply makes better plays and smarter decisions than Gardiner.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I have no problem with you saying you've seen a player play. Hey I've seen Buffalo a few times as well. You really lost me when you said you've seen Nylander play several times. I find it hard to believe you.

Please show me where I said I watched Nylander play several times.

I never have said that and you need to stop posting BS!

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
:laugh: Name me one player you haven't said you've watched very closely in any league anywhere in the world.

Maybe if you paid attention you would understand where I watched Myers play....but you are too busy putting you foot in your mouth.....

Myers did not have the highest QOC on Buffalo.....you post BS.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
They're both offensive d-men. Myers has a better slapshot but Gardiner is the better skater. Myers is worse than Gardiner defensively from my viewings though. Because of his size he is awful in tight spaces, players just pick pucks out from around his legs and his defensive IQ is similiarly bad as Gardiner's.

HonestHockey*

Maybe if you paid attention you would understand where I watched Myers play....but you are too busy putting you foot in your mouth.....

Myers did not have the highest QOC on Buffalo.....you post BS.

Do I have to dig it up?

And yes Myers did have the highest QoC of any Buffalo d.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
For that package? I'd keep Gards. For a 1 for 1 swap? tough question for me.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Gardiner is 4 years Rielly's senior and hasn't shown any signs of improving his play without the puck or with the puck for that matter. Rielly simply makes better plays and smarter decisions than Gardiner.

Rielly makes better plays and smarter decisions than Gardiner, and then produces so much worse results? Makes sense, just like most of your posts.

No point in discussing with someone with such an obvious agenda though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad