If you had to choose, who would you want? Gardiner or Myers?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
It certainly is not "ain't even close". Myers has played on the worst teams in modern NHL history.

I'd love to have Myers in Toronto. I wouldn't give the suggested package for him, though.

that's my thinking. I don't think Myers is a bust (I'm not going to say he's a Chara either), but I have to think being that tall, playing with a smaller stick (like everytime Buffalo is on HNIC everyone comments on it), and playing in Buffalo is going to affect his development.

I'd love to get him and see how he turns out. maybe he's still a bust, but if he cracks open and becomes ala Chara... then yay. but not for Jake.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Buffalo knows that Myers is not a Franchise player but he is certainly a top 4 D.

I still like Gardiner better. I think last season he was extremely self conscious but when he was paired with Reilly, they encouraged each other to let go and move the puck

MapleLeaf4ever

Feb 9, 2013
GTA
Gardiner an it's not even close. One of them is capable of playing top2-4 pairing minutes and will be signed to a cap friendly bridge deal, the other is barely an NHL capable Defenseman making Star player $$$

His contract and play makes Clarksons first year as a leaf look fantastic by comparison.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
I was having some fun and thinking of a trade to get Myers and I came up with

Gardiner+Reimer+Lupul or Franson for Myers.

However, it got me thinking do you see Myers as that #1 Defender the Leafs are looking for? I do know some people are pencilling Gardiner to play with Dion next season.

I also think Buffalo would take this trade if they are looking for a potential #1 goalie.

Mods can delete this thread if they feel it isn't appropriate.

LMAO. Good Lord.

Maybe they should delete this thread for other reasons?

:shakehead

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
No to Tyler Myers, we do not need a soft giant. I watched him up close for a year and he was a soft D man then and still is today, add in his very limited hockey I Q and you have a big soft D man who does not think the game well at a very high Cap hit.....No thanks.....He is one Hound that I have little interest in.

HonestHockey*

No to Tyler Myers, we do not need a soft giant. I watched him up close for a year and he was a soft D man then and still is today, add in his very limited hockey I Q and you have a big soft D man who does not think the game well at a very high Cap hit.....No thanks.....He is one Hound that I have little interest in.

:laugh: Name me one player you haven't said you've watched very closely in any league anywhere in the world.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
Chara never became the player he is today until about the age of 25/26. That's when he developed a mean streak. If Myers can play meaner (much like Biggs needs to do) he could become a force.

As of now, Gardiner is the better player and I'm not sure if I would take giving up a player like him for the chance of Myers becoming meaner.

Having said all this, I think a mean Myers is far more valuable than Gardiner to this Leaf team.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
For all the crap he gets his potential is still #1 dominant dman. Hard to keep saying Gardiner just needs time while saying a guy taken a couple spots higher is done.

Where they were picked is irrelevant.

HonestHockey*

I'd listen to diceman 10 times out of 10, over you.

:laugh:

Of course. :laugh: He's got the goggles on as well. Watch winning teams and the types of players that you win with.

Just because a player is young doesn't mean he can't have a complete game. Some of our young guys really struggle with this.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Of course. :laugh: He's got the goggles on as well. Watch winning teams and the types of players that you win with.

Just because a player is young doesn't mean he can't have a complete game. Some of our young guys really struggle with this.

Myers - Franson - Schenn

They are all about the same quality overall.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
How can anyone say Gardiner vs. Myers isnt close? There are some huge homer posts in this thread

They are the same age and both players have been very inconsistent. How can people say Gardiner is only going to get better but Myers has developed as much as he is going to. Yes Gards looked great the last month of the season but he struggled most of the rest of the season, Myers looked great for parts of the season and not so great other large parts of it just like Jake. Both have potential to be top pairing Dmen or the potential to plateau and stay where they are now.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Originally Posted by HonestHockey View Post
Name me one player you haven't said you've watched very closely in any league anywhere in the world.

I have watched a lot of players up close.....why does that bother you and if you cared to read, I have clearly written were I have had the opportunity to watch/coach them!

Last edited:

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
How can anyone say Gardiner vs. Myers isnt close? There are some huge homer posts in this thread

They are the same age and both players have been very inconsistent. How can people say Gardiner is only going to get better but Myers has developed as much as he is going to. Yes Gards looked great the last month of the season but he struggled most of the rest of the season, Myers looked great for parts of the season and not so great other large parts of it just like Jake. Both have potential to be top pairing Dmen or the potential to plateau and stay where they are now.

Tyler will still develop as will Jake, but I would take Jake over Tyler as Jake has the ability to control the pace of the game, something Tyler does not have.

Gardiner had a good year over all last year other then at the very beginning when he was asked to play the right side. He did not enjoy this experience and judging by his play he will not have to endure this again. It was only at seasons end when Carlyle allowed him to go that his offensive numbers took off, but his play was good all season long in my eyes and it was a year to build off.

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
Myers

is SOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEt

great rookie year
flop flop flop flop
flop fish

id have trouble trading just Gardy for that big ******

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

They are not terrible. They are a bit slow in thinking the game and on their feet.

Schenn doesn't put up points but hits and has lapses.

Franson puts up points and hits with lapses.

Myers has put up points has lapses and doesn't use his body enough.

Gardiner puts up points is streaky but has elite skating and is a good possession player. When he is on he is also good defensively.

That's why he worth more than the rest.

HonestHockey*

Originally Posted by HonestHockey View Post
Name me one player you haven't said you've watched very closely in any league anywhere in the world.

I guess mods deleted your post but seeing as how it was quoted....

I have watched a lot of players up close.....why does that bother you and if you cared to read, I have clearly written were I have had the opportunity to watch/coach them!

I have no problem with you saying you've seen a player play. Hey I've seen Buffalo a few times as well. You really lost me when you said you've seen Nylander play several times. I find it hard to believe you.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

Because Gardiner will make less than half of what Myers does. The actual trade proposal the OP suggested doesn't help matters either.

HonestHockey*

They are not terrible. They are a bit slow in thinking the game and on their feet.

Schenn doesn't put up points but hits and has lapses.

Franson puts up points and hits with lapses.

Myers has put up points has lapses and doesn't use his body enough.

Gardiner puts up points is streaky but has elite skating and is a good possession player. When he is on he is also good defensively.

That's why he worth more than the rest.

The comparisons always have to be apples to apples.

Myers plays the most minutes for a defensemen against the highest QoC on his team. Any young player may struggle with that. Gardiner plays his mins against the second weakest QoC on the team and struggles with that.

And Gardiner is no-where near good defensively.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
The comparisons always have to be apples to apples.

Myers plays the most minutes for a defensemen against the highest QoC on his team. Any young player may struggle with that. Gardiner plays his mins against the second weakest QoC on the team and struggles with that.

And Gardiner is no-where near good defensively.

Yeah Gardiner struggled his way to the best GA/60 among D, best possession numbers among D and second best even strength production among D.

HonestHockey*

Yeah Gardiner struggled his way to the best GA/60 among D, best possession numbers among D and second best even strength production among D.

Against the second weakest QoC on the team. Gardiner at 5 or 6 you can live with. Any higher and it's a problem.

You'd think a guy with high possession numbers would have racked up some more points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad