If you had to choose, who would you want? Gardiner or Myers?

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
I was having some fun and thinking of a trade to get Myers and I came up with

Gardiner+Reimer+Lupul or Franson for Myers.

However, it got me thinking do you see Myers as that #1 Defender the Leafs are looking for? I do know some people are pencilling Gardiner to play with Dion next season.

I also think Buffalo would take this trade if they are looking for a potential #1 goalie.

Mods can delete this thread if they feel it isn't appropriate.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
For all the crap he gets his potential is still #1 dominant dman. Hard to keep saying Gardiner just needs time while saying a guy taken a couple spots higher is done.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
Gardiner has to take the next step next season. If he can play like he did in March all season (or most of it) we will win a lot of games.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Buffalo thinks highly of Myers so they won't sell him low

But I feel like Myers hasn't really bettered his rookie season, having some ups and downs (big downs at that) .. Really isn't trending upward

Gards I think it trending upwards more than anything, so in a vacuum I'd take him

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
Gardiner alone is more valuable in my eyes.

Sabres fans can blast me and the others for selecting Gardiner and that's fine. They've seen him play more than I have. All I can speak for is what I have seen from them both. I will keep it simple, Myers has sucked from what I've seen after his rookie season. I watched him last year and he looked better, but I still don't think he is that good.

Gardiner shows flashes of brilliance but is prone to mistakes. He is young, and that is to be expected. When he is on his game (Bruins series) he looks like a future all star. Hopefully he can be that or if not, can be a solid player for us.

Note, I realize Myers is young too, so mistakes are to be expected for him as well. I just don't get the hoopla tbf.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I think Myers has been on some really horrible Buffalo teams and I think he still can turn it around. Saying that, I think Gardiner has shown that he can control the game at times and has tons of potential as a puck moving dman.

I really liked Myers in his rookie season and I still think he can return to that form with some change of scenery. I think I would want Myers but if the contract stayed with him, that's a huge risk I'm not sure if I'm willing to take.

LordKmus

Feb 19, 2012
I feel like Myers' growth has been delayed partially by the terrible Sabres teams he's been on, and his size. I feel like it may take him a little bit longer to develop and really learn how to use his size optimally. I remember Chara being pretty decent at best in his early years. I think being that tall has a large learning curve. Ultimately I think Myers has a lot more potential. I could see Gardiner turning into a high octane OFD, but I'm not sure he has it in him to ever be all that good defensively. Time will tell.

At this point, I'd take the gamble on Myers.

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
WUT?! Have you seen Myers play the past couple seasons? I wouldn't even trade Gard straight up for him...give me a break dude.

Mar 26, 2010
Gardiner AINEC

I fully agree. Its not close for me. Gardiner is a stud, the very best D we have. Call me crazy (and most will for this) but I trade Rielly before I would trade Gardiner.

He is the corner stone on the back end for this team.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
Gardiner easily, Meyers does well due to his size but every other aspect of his game is ugly. I still believe Gardiner is the perfect top2-3D with 1st PP, he shows glimpses of elite level, game breaking type ability but zero consistency. Worth seeing how he plays out.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I watched a fair bit of Myers. No thanks. For Franson sure that's honestly fair after what I have seen.

Dugath

Jan 9, 2014
What a silly question. Of course Leaf fans will say our players are better than and will be better than other players even though our team has crashed and burned almost every season.. hmm

Oh well, we all have crystal balls and can see into the future to see how these players have developed.

So yeah why not Gardiner ;)

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
It certainly is not "ain't even close". Myers has played on the worst teams in modern NHL history.

I'd love to have Myers in Toronto. I wouldn't give the suggested package for him, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad