Proposal: IF we had to trade one,,,

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
If you think they will both be traded for a #2, would you trade them for Giordano?
If he agreed to be resigned? Ummmm... hell yes.

Tinordi+Beaulieu+Prust
for
Giordano+Bartschi

Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Parenteau
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher
Bourque-Eller-Sekac
Bournival-Malhotra-Weise
Moen

Markov-Subban
Emelin-Giordano
Drewiske-Gilbert
Weaver

Price
Tokarski

That's a Blackhawk's Top-3 level in awesomeness.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
If he agreed to be resigned? Ummmm... hell yes.

Tinordi+Beaulieu+Prust
for
Giordano+Bartschi

Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Parenteau
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher
Bourque-Eller-Sekac
Bournival-Malhotra-Weise
Moen

Markov-Subban
Emelin-Giordano
Drewiske-Gilbert
Weaver

Price
Tokarski

That's a Blackhawk's Top-3 level in awesomeness.
How long is Giordani going to be good though? You're really willing to trade two of our toughest players for him along with Beaulieu? I don't like that at all. I would rather wait until the trade deadline and pickup Giordani or a similar player as a rental for a 2nd or a 1st if that's what it takes, and a few prospects, instead of ruining this team's future.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
How long is Giordani going to be good though? You're really willing to trade two of our toughest players for him along with Beaulieu? I don't like that at all. I would rather wait until the trade deadline and pickup Giordani or a similar player as a rental for a 2nd or a 1st if that's what it takes, and a few prospects, instead of ruining this team's future.
I think our Cup window is opening as soon as this year, maybe next. We've only got a couple years left with Markov, I'd say now is the time to take a run.

I'm fairly high on Pateryn becoming a good Top-6 defenseman. We've got plenty of defenseman in the system who could make come in and make an impact. I'm also thinking Nygren could actually become, offensively, a Markov replacement. He'll likely never be as good of a two way player, but we need people who can move the puck. I like Dietz as well, and I still think Drewiske is good enough to play as a #6/#7 in the NHL.

Now, I wouldn't make this move just to make it. I'd be looking around for one more forward if this deal was on the table. Preferably one with size and speed to fit in Sekac's spot on the 3rd line come playoffs. A 4th line of Bournival-Malhotra-Sekac would be as good or better than a lot of team's 1st shutdown line. We'd have the benefit of being able to role 4 lines and do some serious damage, ala LA. When you can role your bottom lines out for 11 minutes a game like the Kings, you can do some serious damage, especially with guys like Malhotra who is going to win the faceoff, and then Bournival and Sekac will drive the opposition insane on the forecheck. That wears teams down. If we can wear down some Eastern Conference teams down faster, we could beat the Blackhawks, Ducks, and Kings of the league.

I think I'd also prefer Wotherspoon instead of Bartschi, but I just threw the first "top" prospect not named Bennent or Johnny Hockey I could think of. However, Bartschi does potentially fill an extremely huge organizational need at LW, if we plan to move Galchenyuk to center in the coming years - although he's also a bit on the small side.

Giordano will, IMO, be good for another 5-6 years. He's a legitimate #1 defenseman. People don't know how good he is because of how poor the team he's played on has been for years. How the guy has a managed a +18 rating on the Flames over the past 7 years, while playing the best opposition teams have to offer, with fairly mediocre teammates is pretty amazing. +18 on a team that's -73 over those 7 years (well, really like 5 1/2 due to this year and lockouts and the such).

I'd have no issue signing Giordano to a 3-year extension. That gives us (if the trade was made today), basically 5-years of a #1 defenseman for a couple of guys who may or may not end up as Top-4 guys. I like both of them a lot, but I definitely don't see Tinordi as a #1 and a I don't think Beaulieu is capable enough offensively to be a #1, and that's if the rest of his game molded out correctly. Trust me, I don't want to lose the... but we've got Markov for three years. Acquiring a another legitimate 24-25 minute a night guy make us easy favourites in the East, I'd think.

Giordano: 24 minutes, Markov: 24 minutes, Subban, 25 minutes, Emelin 22 minutes. That leaves our bottom pairing around 12.5 minutes per night. And Weaver, while he's been shaky to start the seasons, is more than capable of stepping in and filling 13 minutes a night.

That defense can move the puck like no other in the Eastern Conference. Our PP becomes extra deadly as you always have a PP QB on the ice. Markov, Subban, Giordano, and Gilbert is a deadly puck moving combination. Giordano loves to shoot just like PK as well.

Last edited:

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
I think our Cup window is opening as soon as this year, maybe next. We've only got a couple years left with Markov, I'd say now is the time to take a run.
I think our Cup window started last spring.

I'm fairly high on Pateryn becoming a good Top-6 defenseman. We've got plenty of defenseman in the system who could make come in and make an impact. I'm also thinking Nygren could actually become, offensively, a Markov replacement. He'll likely never be as good of a two way player, but we need people who can move the puck. I like Dietz as well, and I still think Drewiske is good enough to play as a #6/#7 in the NHL.
I think all three are good for depth, nothing more.

Now, I wouldn't make this move just to make it. I'd be looking around for one more forward if this deal was on the table. Preferably one with size and speed to fit in Sekac's spot on the 3rd line come playoffs. A 4th line of Bournival-Malhotra-Sekac would be as good or better than a lot of team's 1st shutdown line. We'd have the benefit of being able to role 4 lines and do some serious damage, ala LA. When you can role your bottom lines out for 11 minutes a game like the Kings, you can do some serious damage, especially with guys like Malhotra who is going to win the faceoff, and then Bournival and Sekac will drive the opposition insane on the forecheck. That wears teams down. If we can wear down some Eastern Conference teams down faster, we could beat the Blackhawks, Ducks, and Kings of the league.
That fourth line could do some serious damage.

I think I'd also prefer Wotherspoon instead of Bartschi, but I just threw the first "top" prospect not named Bennent or Johnny Hockey I could think of. However, Bartschi does potentially fill an extremely huge organizational need at LW, if we plan to move Galchenyuk to center in the coming years - although he's also a bit on the small side.
This is where I don't agree. We got two players who could potentially turn the tide in our favor. If we move either or both it better be for something really good.

Giordano will, IMO, be good for another 5-6 years. He's a legitimate #1 defenseman. People don't know how good he is because of how poor the team he's played on has been for years. How the guy has a managed a +18 rating on the Flames over the past 7 years, while playing the best opposition teams have to offer, with fairly mediocre teammates is pretty amazing. +18 on a team that's -73 over those 7 years (well, really like 5 1/2 due to this year and lockouts and the such).
We probably can't get Giordani anyway, but MB has a short history of making things happen. We can dream.
I'd have no issue signing Giordano to a 3-year extension. That gives us (if the trade was made today), basically 5-years of a #1 defenseman for a couple of guys who may or may not end up as Top-4 guys. I like both of them a lot, but I definitely don't see Tinordi as a #1 and a I don't think Beaulieu is capable enough offensively to be a #1, and that's if the rest of his game molded out correctly. Trust me, I don't want to lose the... but we've got Markov for three years. Acquiring a another legitimate 24-25 minute a night guy make us easy favourites in the East, I'd think.

Giordano: 24 minutes, Markov: 24 minutes, Subban, 25 minutes, Emelin 22 minutes. That leaves our bottom pairing around 12.5 minutes per night. And Weaver, while he's been shaky to start the seasons, is more than capable of stepping in and filling 13 minutes a night.

That defense can move the puck like no other in the Eastern Conference. Our PP becomes extra deadly as you always have a PP QB on the ice. Markov, Subban, Giordano, and Gilbert is a deadly puck moving combination. Giordano loves to shoot just like PK as well.
I wasn't trying to diss Giordani, that squad would be sick, I just don't think there's a chance that we can get him. The price to get him would be too steep. I would still rather keep Tinordi and Beaulieu, even if it delays our contender status for one more year.

Edit: No clue why I kept typing Giordani. I should stop typing and go get some sleep.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I don't see how you can trade any of of them. Unless, a puckmoving d-man becomes a need and he's a guy you will target with your #1 pick in 2015...and we all know what "needs" does to a pick....Not sure it's the ideal way to draft. Then, Beaulieu becomes expendable. 'Cause till Markov can't give you anything, you might be ready to welcome your new Markov.

We might have some depth on D but frankly.....we don't have any depth that you can't welcome some other way. We are mostly filled with #5-#6 if ever. And those guys you can obtain through free agency or trades. Tinordi and Beaulieu are our future top 4 with Subban. So if you can guarantee me that in the upcoming years, we have a future top 4 coming to deal with the Markov departure...fine. Do the deal. Whoever. Based on who you think might be available when it's our time to draft....a big bruising stay-at-home d-man, or a puckmoving d-man. 2015 WILL be a franchise draft year. If you pick wisely, you are going to fill up your pool with top 4 d-men and top 6 forwards. No doubt. But be sure that you won't get "McDonaghed" in the process though......While you can't be sure how a guy could develop, I have no problem with Beaulieu developing and becoming a regular, that's actually what I hope and still think he'll do. But be damn sure you're getting a serious player in return and THAT WILL STICK AROUND. Now, it has to involve more than Beaulieu has getting a great player for him is impossible. But just saying...if you have to build a package....you will have to be sure that the return is great. If not, you keep Beaulieu.

Oh and I'd love Giordano. Somehow, a package involving kids like Beaulieu and Lehkonen, Andrighetto, Reway or guys like that, add a 2nd rounder in 2015. I'd personnally even add Fucale....but that's just me.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
I'm still confused on why Nathan hasn't been dressed, even though our d-zone coverage was poor through the first handful of games, he was one of the bright spots back there imo. I have no problem sitting him from time to time in keep the hunger going, but he was proving to be extremely effective at transitioning the puck. MT obviously found something that I didn't, not at all sure what that was, but he should be playing right now.

DrSpaceman

Oct 11, 2014
We shouldn't be trading american d-men, haven't we learned our lesson :sarcasm:

Between McDonagh and Komisarek, is day we're 50/50 (and yes, I know we didn't trade the latter, but we would've re-signed him).

Stan

Mar 20, 2005
I'd trade Beaulieu over Tinordi. Tinordi is a gamer. He's what you win with when the games matter. I still have a lot of question marks on Beaulieu....most of them have to do with character. I haven't been overwhelmed by his effort so far. Which is surprising for a player just making the NHL. He's incredible at moving the puck and he's a beautiful skater. I'm just not sure he's a gamer.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
It depends on what the return is.

If we are getting a forward back then I would trade Beaulieu. If we are getting a big tough d-man then I would let Tinordi go.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I wouldn't trade either one of them for anything another team would realistically offer. If we have needs, then defensemen capable of filling the #3/4/5 slots on the team is one of our biggest needs, and both those guys look like they have some potential to do that for many many years to come.

But if space aliens landed and held a deathraygun to my head, I guess I'd pick Beaulieu for the trade block before Tinordi.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Would not move Tinordi..guy's gonna be a beast.

There is also beastliness found in Bolo.
You can't teach some of the stuff he brings.
On pure asthetics you keep Bolo he is the one who can ultimately make the jaw dropping play.
But for Stanley Cup Toughness you keep Tinner he can drop jaws... :laugh:

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Well, thanks for clearing that up.

The point is that you don't choose one player based on style. You choose based on how likely you think it is that they'll reach their respective projected potential.

And when it's a toss up?

TofoEmptyNt

Nov 10, 2013
Ontario
I think Beaulieu's the better skater and more skilled, but Tinordi's becoming a physical beast and he can actually play. Tough call, but I'd probably keep Beaulieu for that natural talent. Markov won't be around forever :(

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Lmao @ Tinordi+Beaulieu for Giordano....

As for OP's question.. I wouldn't trade either of them. I believe Beaulieu can become a top tier 3rd defenseman and possible a #2. His combination of skill, skating, vision, size and grit (he can be gritty) pretty much guarantee this.

Tinordi is a physical specimen and he's been showing us that his decision making is good after all. Having these 2 and Subban with us for the foreseeable future means we don't have much to worry about on defense for a while.

Keep em both. The biggest upgrade we need right now is a replacement for DD, which we already have. We'll need another top 6 winger when that happens, but we have a ton of prospects and one is bound to make it as a top 6.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
...for a piece we were missing, which one would you trade:

Tinordi

or

Beaulieu

...for me, as much as I was ecstatic when Beaulieu fell into our lap at the draft, I'd trade any Dman we have not named Subban before I traded Tinner...

It would be a very tough decision if we had to move either one...I'd have to be getting a Kane(Wpg) or Sharp in the deal or I'd be pissed.

Not that they are untoucheable, but after Subban they are a big part of the future on D. They both bring elements that can make them impact players down the road. Beaulieu with his mobility and hockey sense in transition, Tinordi with his size, mobility and edge.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Yeah, there's just no trade that would make sense if Tinordi or Beaulieu are involved. The piece we'd get back would never put us over the top.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
...Winnipeg offers Evander Kane (doable + added by us, including salary going back)...they want Tinordi but will take Beaulieu if the + is right (nothing too significant, it's very doable)...who do you trade??...;)

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
...Winnipeg offers Evander Kane (doable + added by us, including salary going back)...they want Tinordi but will take Beaulieu if the + is right (nothing too significant, it's very doable)...who do you trade??...;)

I wouldn't do any of that. And I'm pretty sure Bergevin wouldn't be very high on Kane either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad