Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
...for a piece we were missing, which one would you trade:

Tinordi

or

Beaulieu

...for me, as much as I was ecstatic when Beaulieu fell into our lap at the draft, I'd trade any Dman we have not named Subban before I traded Tinner...

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
None.

Honestly, I know you said one but these guys should be as untouchable as Galchenyuk, Price and Subban.

They are the core of our Defence and will help us have one of the best Ds in a few years.

Trade Pateryn or Bennett.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I don't know much about Tinordi or Beaulieu's mental game but steady puck movers are usually more important than other dmen. That said Tinner's got a great frame and is a good skater for his size. Good question - I'd love to know what the hockey scouts here would say.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
None.

Honestly, I know you said one but these guys should be as untouchable as Galchenyuk, Price and Subban.

They are the core of our Defence and will help us have one of the best Ds in a few years.

Trade Pateryn or Bennett.

Neither of those guys have any value.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
That's pretty interesting, actually.

I think more of Beaulieu's upside, but I like Tinordi's unique package. There are a lot more defensemen like Beaulieu coming up now too. I'd probably still stick with Beaulieu, but that's tough. Beaulieu's 'best' performances so far have been far, far better than anything Tinordi's demonstrated to me.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
That's pretty interesting, actually.

I think more of Beaulieu's upside, but I like Tinordi's unique package. There are a lot more defensemen like Beaulieu coming up now too. I'd probably still stick with Beaulieu, but that's tough. Beaulieu's 'best' performances so far have been far, far better than anything Tinordi's demonstrated to me.

Tinordi suits our D needs better for the future though.

A puck moving D-man could be developed with the likes of Nygren if Beaulieu was moved.

The same couldn't really be said for Tinner.

Bullsmith

May 21, 2007
I think that would have more to do with what was coming in return. I think it would require an overpayment for MB to trade a potential core D at this stage of their development, so is team X overpaying for size or for a potential back end general?

The ceiling on both these guys is very very high. Tinordi wants to be involved in the play in all three zones. And he might get there. Beaulieu has shown incredible progress and potential and can barely get on the ice.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I'd move Beaulieu, but it's more about the fact we have more "like Beaulieu" than "like Tinordi".

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
Tinordi suits our D needs better for the future though.

A puck moving D-man could be developed with the likes of Nygren if Beaulieu was moved.

The same couldn't really be said for Tinner.

Sure, but that doesn't really matter.

If Tinordi develops and becomes a solid #4 who's an OK puck mover and a solid presence, that's nice. The team could use that. But if Beaulieu becomes a #1, then he's more valuable.

Just because Nygren could potentially be what Beaulieu is largely irrelevant here. And I addressed that in my post (noting that Tinordi offers a unique package, while there are more Beaulieu-types).

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Without question Beaulieu has the higher ceiling but even though there is a huge difference in "skill", in terms of effectiveness I'm not sure there will be a huge difference over their careers. I also think Tinordi is a better complement to our D then Beaulieu is, he brings something we lack, whereas Beaulieu brings something that we already have (Though you can never have too much). Finally if we are trading one it means we are going for it now and that probably favours keeping Tinordi.

So all in all I'd probably deal Beaulieu before Tinordi. But in the end any trade involving those players would be because the other team wanted one or the other so they would dictate which we would have to give up.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Neither.

Tinordi gives us physicality. Markov is getting old and Beaulieu will replace him.

Everyone is tradeable when you are looking to fill needs. Beaulieu and Tinordi are/will be filling needs. No thanks. McDo should have taught the Habs a lesson on trading young and talented DMen before they have developed properly.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
If I had to choose it would be Beaulieu, but I want to say neither. They both have top-4 potential and can contribute in different ways, and as they get more experienced they will become indispensable.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Sure, but that doesn't really matter.

If Tinordi develops and becomes a solid #4 who's an OK puck mover and a solid presence, that's nice. The team could use that. But if Beaulieu becomes a #1, then he's more valuable.

Just because Nygren could potentially be what Beaulieu is largely irrelevant here. And I addressed that in my post (noting that Tinordi offers a unique package, while there are more Beaulieu-types).

And if Tinordi develops into a top-pairing guy and Beaulieu becomes a solid #4 then Tinordi is more valuable. They both have potential to be first pairing guys. Beaulieu can be a poor man's Subban, whereas Tinordi can be a poor man's Chara.

Chances are neither develop into top-pairing guys and they end up middle pairing guys. At that point things like fit do matter a lot and having someone who brings something unique to the table is more valuable to the team.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
And if Tinordi develops into a top-pairing guy and Beaulieu becomes a solid #4 then Tinordi is more valuable.

Well, thanks for clearing that up.

The point is that you don't choose one player based on style. You choose based on how likely you think it is that they'll reach their respective projected potential.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
tough call…

I'd go with Beaulieu, even though I suspect he'll end up the superior overall player.

Tinordi's package of skills (big/tough/mean AND a very good skater) are extremely rare and very difficult to replace.
Beaulieu's best assets, as a strong skating PMD, are superior in terms of potential, but are also much easier to replace.

very few big/tough players out there who skate as well as tinordi does, and very few guys have his size, period.

Tougher asset to replace, so I'd keep Tinordi.

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
It's an interesting question.

I think Beaulieu has the better upside of the two. But we already have a Beaulieu in Subban. We have nothing close to Tinordi upside - Emelin is serviceable but that's it.

In the best of words I hope we never have to make this decision and we keep both.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad