Proposal: IF we had to trade one,,,

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
I always felt like Beaulieu was better than Tinordi overall. Tinordi has always seemed too nervous on the ice or behind the play because he couldn't read what was going on. Tinordi has been pretty good recently. Though, I think Beaulieu is more of a top 2 defenseman, Tinordi would be a 3rd or 4th. I may be wrong, but seeing how the both play, it's my feeling.

I'd trade Tinordi if I had to make a decision now.

Beaulieu just seems to be a good puck moving defenseman and good defensively too. Tinordi has his size, skates well and can hit. I don't think finding a big defenseman would be too difficult. Hal Gill was great for us. He wasn't fast, but he was smart, big and killed the play. Tinordi, even though he will be good and brings a dimension we need, would be much more easily replaceable than a reliable two way defenseman.

Price My Man Crush

Aug 27, 2011
Montréal
I always felt like Beaulieu was better than Tinordi overall. Tinordi has always seemed too nervous on the ice or behind the play because he couldn't read what was going on. Tinordi has been pretty good recently. Though, I think Beaulieu is more of a top 2 defenseman, Tinordi would be a 3rd or 4th. I may be wrong, but seeing how the both play, it's my feeling.

Beaulieu will never be a top 2 defenseman.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013

Just for the sake of arguing I will say that I think Tinordi look like he could become an exceptional #3 or #4 D while Beaulieu has the upside of an average #2 D. They both look lost at times but it's normal.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Neither. But if we had to... Tinordi.

I say neither also. Tinordi brings a special package, and Beaulieu has potential to be a Larry Robinson light, an offensive defenceman with absolutely superior skating compared to his peers, and enough size to eventually be hard to knock off the puck. Larry was awkward at first and didn't have his first good season until he was 23, and his first great season until 24.

Beaulieu is still 21 years old. Of course he may not and probably won't hit Robinson-like levels but the point is that you do not trade anyone with superstar potential at a young age, even if the chances that he becomes a superstar are less than 50%. The possible cost is just too high.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

The danger in this type of assessment at a young age is that if you are wrong, the cost is astronomical. McDonagh was traded because the brass felt he wasnot developing fast enough and might not become a top-2 D.

Guess what? Development patterns changed, and the high-upside guy is playing for another team.

Never again. Even if you MIGHT be right.

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
Just for the sake of arguing I will say that I think Tinordi look like he could become an exceptional #3 or #4 D while Beaulieu has the upside of an average #2 D. They both look lost at times but it's normal.

I don't think Tinordi will be exceptional 3rd-4th, not right now. I'd have to see him develop more. He would need to be more physical and better at shutting down players. But what would really convince me is if I see Tinordi actually seem like he can read the game going on rather than constantly trying to catch up to what's unfolding. He's doing well right now. He's still learning and I haven't given a final judgement on him yet. Hopefully he does become the defensive rock to pair with Subban. But so far, I don't see him as an incredible player. To me right now, he looks like a faster Hal Gill in the making, which is pretty good. Either he just has trouble reading the game or he is really nervous/learning. Hell, I hope I'm wrong and the guy becomes better than Chara.

Considering Beaulieu was picked before Tinordi last year during the season. Only reason why he was replaced by Tinordi after the olympics was supposedly for behavior. Then during playoffs, Beaulieu just gets put in over Tiner. Beaulieu's ahead of the curve. He's learned more, he plays better, he only needs to learn how to have the right mentality. He's scratched right now because of how careless he looked when we were getting spanked by TBL. But he'll eventually be back in the line-up and will get priority over Tiner as it has always been so far. I've been far more impressed with Beaulieu's game and I do believe that he can become a top 2 at this rate, a 3rd D at the very least. He just needs to get serious.

Last edited:

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
I would trade... Beaulieu.

As some have said, Tinordi suits what we need better. And I agree with others that a player like Tinordi is rare.

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

Negative.

That RW would have to have a good hockey name before I trade either of them. :sarcasm:

Tinordi + Beaulieu + Plekanec

vs

KESSEL!!

Kessel-Galchenyuk-Pacioretty
Subban-Markov

Dat Power Play Unit

Last edited by a moderator:

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Tinordi + Beaulieu + Plekanec

vs

KESSEL!!

Kessel-Galchenyuk-Pacioretty
Subban-Markov

Dat Power Play Unit
We need to keep one of Beaulieu or Tinordi though. And we can hardly make the playoffs without Plekanec. No deal.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Are we getting the exact same player for both?

I think Beaulieu's best performances have far outdone Tinordi's best performances. On the same note, I don't think Beaulieu is as good offensively as some here think he is, but his first pass is a thing of beauty.

Also, I believe solely due to his size and skating ability, Tinordi would bring far more in a trade.

Therefore, I'd keep Beaulieu.

I don't think we need Tinordi's size as much as people think. Emelin and Subban are both physical defenseman, signed long-term.

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

We need to keep one of Beaulieu or Tinordi though. And we can hardly make the playoffs without Plekanec. No deal.

I will never say no to a Phil81-Alex27-Max67 line, just imagine the speed, the great plays with Subban and Markov... Worth it to me, even for both Nate & Jarred.
Also, I love Pleks, his work is great but we can live without him in the future.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
wouldn't want to trade either. Beaulieu will be replacing either weaver or Gilbert sooner rather than later lol

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Why do we never get to trade crap in these threads?
Pick your two lousiest players and speculate what you could get for them?

I'm taking my ball and I'm going home.

Price My Man Crush

Aug 27, 2011
Montréal
The danger in this type of assessment at a young age is that if you are wrong, the cost is astronomical. McDonagh was traded because the brass felt he wasnot developing fast enough and might not become a top-2 D.

Guess what? Development patterns changed, and the high-upside guy is playing for another team.

Never again. Even if you MIGHT be right.

I don't want either of them to be traded but I still don't see them as highly as some do here.

Of course, development patterns can change faster than one might think. I just see Beaulieu as a guy who will play on the second pair of defensemen. People are already talking about him replacing Markov, uh...well, I got some news for you. Beaulieu HAS A LOT to improve to reach Markov's level one day.

I'll be the first one to eat crow if it does happen. ;)

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

I'm taking my ball and I'm going home.��

I am bored, sorry for ruining the thread. (My proposal still rocks)

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
There is no way I give up on Tinordi right now, could hunt us for years.

So Beaulieu but the return needs to be huge, I'd also play him a lot and give him every opportunity to shine before I move him to make sure I know exactly what I'll be missing out on.

Probably neither though

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005

I'm taking my ball and I'm going home.��
We could probably get David Clarkson for Moen and Prust. :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad