Value of: If traded, predict where they go and for what -- JVR, Bozak, Komarov

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I sort of agree, i think if they are trading JVR or Bozak, it would be prior to the season starting for help on D. If they are in the mix at the deadline, they will keep them.

This.

Toronto made the playoffs last year, on the strength of their depth up front and how healthy they were able to remain.

If they're in a playoff hunt this year, it will be on the strength of an even better forward group. They're not going to start disassembling that mid-season.

The "play" for the Leafs should be very simple -- move JvR for the defenceman we need today... but keep that depth at centre which was so important last year.

Come the offseason, evaluate whether Nylander is a centre long term, or a winger; if he's a centre, let Bozak walk. If he's a winger, run with Matthews-Bozak-Kadri down the middle. Toronto doesn't have much in the way of centres coming through the pipeline anyways.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
Your opening statement was "I can see" And then you mentioned the trades. It seemed to me you were advocating the trading JVR and Bozak

Those were just my predictions. The Leafs have a good thing going and have some decent prospects coming up. I don't think Lou is done with the re-building, there is more to be done and next years draft looks like a a good draft to stock up on 1sts. That being said, if in a playoff position at the deadline, trading JVR or Bozak for futures makes as much sense as the Jets trading Little for futures at the deadline if in a playoff position, which makes little sense. I don't follow the Leafs, but from what i've gathered from proposals over the past few years is that JVR and Bozak don't appear to be in the long term plans, or am I wrong?

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
There are two questions that need to be answered before the season starts.

1. are we a guaranteed playoff team. Remember management stated they want to become like Washington as an example of a team you know is making the playoffs every year.

2. If we do make the playoffs are we a cup contender. Remember management stated they don't want to just make the playoffs the goal is to be a contender for many years.

Answer to first - No we are not guaranteed to make the playoffs.
Answer to second- No we are not cup contenders.

So if this is the case we are not in a position to lose assets that will set us up for the future for nothing.

Find out what Bozak, JVR, Komarov want for contracts and if they fit into the cap then sign them if not trade them. Do not let them walk for nothing. Does not help our future when we are contenders and need the assets on ELC to push us to te top.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
JVR + Bozak (50% retained) + Kaskisuo

to Pittsburgh for:

Sheary + Gustavsson + Pittsburgh's 1st in 2018 and 2nd in 2019.

The only piece there that is of any need or interest for the Pens is Bozak, why are they moving a ton of pieces back and forth to additionally pick up an unneeded UFA W and unneeded G prospect?

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Pongs21

To answer your question, I don't think the Leafs will resign JVR, Bozak or Komarov next season.
Just for cap reasons, and hopefully the emerge of some guys on ELCs that will have got step up and take their. place. Leafs are going to need cap space soon for their graduating ELCs.
That being. said, those three guys make the Leafs better this year, a lot better. So I doubt if they are traded this year as the Leaf still has aspirations of a Cup run, well at least a playoff round win.

So if any are traded it would be for immediate help. Leafs aren't deep at NHL centre depth so I think Bozak stays but one of the two LWers JVR or Komarov could be available. JVR definitely has appeal to get a better return.

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown
Komarov ain't going anywhere, he'll be resigned.
JVR may be traded, if not we let him walk at seasons end.
Bozak won't be traded, with a chance of being resigned.

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
These guys aren't going to be traded, what aspiring playoff team dumps a center who wins faceoffs, a hulking power winger with soft hands and a tenacious checking forward who is a team leader? If the team were scraping the bottom of the standings you could justify it, but not now that the Leafs are a playoff caliber squad. These 3 will finish the season as Leafs and at least 2 of them if not all 3 will re-sign. Having said that, I'd peg their values like this:

Bozak is worth a 1st round pick
Komarov is worth a 3rd round pick
JVR is worth a 1st round pick and decent prospect

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
Lol...again with Holden. Leafs are not trading a 50+ point center for a player they have absolutely no need for.

I did not say Bozak for Holden, I said for a package, which included Holden. If your top 6 d-men include Hainesey, then you'll need Holden, especially if the Leafs are going to be uptempo. Hainesey struggled mightily with the attacking aspect of the Pens.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
I did not say Bozak for Holden, I said for a package, which included Holden. If your top 6 d-men include Hainesey, then you'll need Holden, especially if the Leafs are going to be uptempo. Hainesey struggled mightily with the attacking aspect of the Pens.
Hainsey just lead the Cup winners in ATOI in the playoffs....
Not saying he's a #1, but he's been brought in to be a solid top 4 stop gap for 2 seasons max.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

Ok, but the package would need to include something more desirable than Holden. ...because again, Holden is not a need.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Hainsey just lead the Cup winners in ATOI in the playoffs....
Not saying he's a #1, but he's been brought in to be a solid top 4 stop gap for 2 seasons max.

OK, but nothing that poster said about Hainsey was incorrect. He struggled mightily with the up tempo game. He's not a solid top 4 stop gap, he's a bottom pairing stop gap. If Letang was healthy and they didn't have other guys dealing with fairly major injuries that limited their effectiveness (broken ribs, 2 with broken hands, etc) Hainsey likely wasn't even in the Pens line-up let alone leading them in TOI.

Of course that has nothing to do with Holden.

Edit: He also didn't lead in ATOI, Dumoulin did.

Last edited:

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Hainsey gets more crap than he deserves. He had his issues, sure, but logic would dictate if Hainsey wasn't even good enough to be in the lineup without further injury after Letang than guys like Cole would've played more than him. I'm not saying he's not going to have his troubles, but I think he's a reasonably capable #4 stand in. Which is all the Leafs need him to be. And I'm still hoping for an upgrade yet before things are said and done.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Regarding Bozak/Holden. Luckily Larry Brooks has reported there is no indication the Rangers have any interest in Bozak, so hopefully this can die now.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Hainsey gets more crap than he deserves. He had his issues, sure, but logic would dictate if Hainsey wasn't even good enough to be in the lineup without further injury after Letang than guys like Cole would've played more than him. I'm not saying he's not going to have his troubles, but I think he's a reasonably capable #4 stand in. Which is all the Leafs need him to be. And I'm still hoping for an upgrade yet before things are said and done.

Ian Cole had a broken hand and broken ribs. It's pretty unbelievable that he was even on the ice at all.

Look, I'm not trying to crap on Hainsey. At all. He did admirably with being thrust into a role he wasn't particularly suited for. But if Letang, Dumoulin, Maatta, Daley, Schultz and Cole are all healthy, he's more than likely in the press box for the playoffs. He's a reasonably capable #4 stand in but if your team plays a fast, up tempo game you would prefer him on your bottom pairing where you can shelter him.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Ian Cole had a broken hand and broken ribs. It's pretty unbelievable that he was even on the ice at all.

Look, I'm not trying to crap on Hainsey. At all. He did admirably with being thrust into a role he wasn't particularly suited for. But if Letang, Dumoulin, Maatta, Daley, Schultz and Cole are all healthy, he's more than likely in the press box for the playoffs. He's a reasonably capable #4 stand in but if your team plays a fast, up tempo game you would prefer him on your bottom pairing where you can shelter him.

Yeah, he probably is, but that speaks as much to him being a late depth addition for their cup run as anything else. Not that I'm saying he should bump anyone. Pittsburgh's defense, when healthy was actually very good from top to bottom.

As for preferring on your bottom pairing, I don't disagree, and I didn't mean to jump on you specifically, I've just seen A TON of negativity overall thrown at him, really in any role.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
They are all worthless...JVR and Bozak are on their final years....so even though every deadline has proven otherwise, they won't even get a 4th at the deadline. Also, there is an unwritten rule that teams can't resign players on their final year once they trade for them....as such, they are impossible to trade. This is what HF has taught me regarding these players.

Worthless???

1) JVR can score 30+ goals and is making 4.25M
2) Bozak can play with skilled guys like Kessel and just came off his best season of 55pts
3) Komarov can play all three positions and has a career FO% of 47.9, can kill penalties with the best of them and oh ya he scored 32 pts last season with 14 coming off the PP and had 3 Short Handed Points.

since guys like Stamkos, Tavares, Kopitar, Doughty, Kane, and other elite players never get traded, SO these guys have tons of value. I'll even go as far as to say, the Leafs will not be able to find another JVR once he is gone. A power forward with hands in close, who rarely gets hurt and puts up 30+ goals?

[MOD]

My predictions:
JVR to NSH
Bozak to PITT
Komarov stays!

GO LEAFS GO!

Last edited by a moderator:

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I'd take a flyer on Komarov.

I read in other threads the asking price was about a second. With only our own second this year, I can't see the Canucks making a move like that, but I'd be happy to offer our third round pick, which will inevitably and unenviably very early in the round, and maybe a later pick or equivalent prospect.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I'd take a flyer on Komarov.

I read in other threads the asking price was about a second. With only our own second this year, I can't see the Canucks making a move like that, but I'd be happy to offer our third round pick, which will inevitably and unenviably very early in the round, and maybe a later pick or equivalent prospect.

With the Leafs pushing for a playoff spot, losing Komarov for a 3rd makes zero sense. If anything, he's the most likely to be resigned.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Worthless???

1) JVR can score 30+ goals and is making 4.25M
2) Bozak can play with skilled guys like Kessel and just came off his best season of 55pts
3) Komarov can play all three positions and has a career FO% of 47.9, can kill penalties with the best of them and oh ya he scored 32 pts last season with 14 coming off the PP and had 3 Short Handed Points.

since guys like Stamkos, Tavares, Kopitar, Doughty, Kane, and other elite players never get traded, SO these guys have tons of value. I'll even go as far as to say, the Leafs will not be able to find another JVR once he is gone. A power forward with hands in close, who rarely gets hurt and puts up 30+ goals?

ONE WORD! CLUELESS!!!!!!!

My predictions:
JVR to NSH
Bozak to PITT
Komarov stays!

GO LEAFS GO!

Baited and hooked ?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It's interesting how many people fail to realize that cap space is an asset.

The Leafs are likely to keep all three for this year, maybe JVR will go if we can find a hockey deal, and it's likely 2/3 will be allowed to walk, simply to maintain the cap flexibility this management team desires.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
It's interesting how many people fail to realize that cap space is an asset.

The Leafs are likely to keep all three for this year, maybe JVR will go if we can find a hockey deal, and it's likely 2/3 will be allowed to walk, simply to maintain the cap flexibility this management team desires.

Yes.

But are we talking about the Leafs ?

Once Brown is signed, and in the absence of any other moves, they would have to use LTIR on Horton and Lupul before the start of the season.

That would leave them with no wiggle room at all, $0.

Any bonuses earned this year would count against next year cap.

Any player absent for a short-term injury could not be replaced.

Not a great situation.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
The thing with Hainsey is that it takes him about 20 minutes to decide what to do with the puck once it's on his stick. He's fine if all has to do is move the puck to his partner.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
the leafs will be looking at add a jvr/bozak/komarov type player at deadline to really make a run for it...not subtract imo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad