Value of: If traded, predict where they go and for what -- JVR, Bozak, Komarov

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I agree, a 1st+prospect/another pick is what they will get, better prospect/pick for JVR. But, as i said would happen, we've already had the "nobody will trade a 1st for Bozak" type posts even though history shows that players like Bozak garner 1sts at the deadline frequently.

To be fair, there don't seem to be too many fans that would be happy paying a 1st for Bozak regardless of what the comparables show. I realize that fans =/= management, but typically for players worth a 1st, there will be at least a few people ok with it. I haven't really seen that with Bozak.

JVR for sure. Players like him get a 1st+ at the deadline in a normal year.

It does seem however that GMs are becoming more hesitant to trade 1sts even for higher end rentals.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
To be fair, there don't seem to be too many fans that would be happy paying a 1st for Bozak regardless of what the comparables show. I realize that fans =/= management, but typically for players worth a 1st, there will be at least a few people ok with it. I haven't really seen that with Bozak.

JVR for sure. Players like him get a 1st+ at the deadline in a normal year.

It does seem however that GMs are becoming more hesitant to trade 1sts even for higher end rentals.

You'd be good with trading a 1st for a few months of Hanzal or Vermette? I think fans in those cases grin and bear it as a necessary evil to improve their teams, don't think that many would be happy about it. At least Bozak brings offense, would imagine that's more important to appease most fans than the less tangible defensive strengths that comparable players who have gotten 1st rounders bring

The Shrike

Jul 13, 2008
Toronto
JVR + Bozak (50% retained) + Kaskisuo

to Pittsburgh for:

Sheary + Gustavsson + Pittsburgh's 1st in 2018 and 2nd in 2019.

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
You'd be good with trading a 1st for a few months of Hanzal or Vermette? I think fans in those cases grin and bear it as a necessary evil to improve their teams, don't think that many would be happy about it. At least Bozak brings offense, would imagine that's more important to appease most fans than the less tangible defensive strengths that comparable players who have gotten 1st rounders bring

Well, there are always exceptions. And perhaps Bozak will become one. I also didn't think the leafs would get a 1st for Franson/Santorelli, yet they did.

I'll be equally surprised if they get a 1st for Bozak, but would never say never. I think a 2nd and 3rd are more likely.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Well, there are always exceptions. And perhaps Bozak will become one. I also didn't think the leafs would get a 1st for Franson/Santorelli, yet they did.

I'll be equally surprised if they get a 1st for Bozak, but would never say never. I think a 2nd and 3rd are more likely.

seems like there's enough interest at the 2nd+3rd or equivalent package level that there's likely to be a bunch of offers if he's available, so I think that will force someone to step up their offer to tip the scales. I'm having a hard time thinking of a guy that got less than I expected when there was no pressure on the team trading him to get rid of him, like Marcus Johansson got less than I expected but he had to be traded for cap reasons. Even guys like Burrows and Jannik Hansen got prospects that were worth in the late 1st range at the TDL last year

I think Bozak catches a bad rap too, like his defensive weaknesses get exaggerated because of how bad he and the whole team was under Carlyle, and that overshadows his strengths. Like he's a #30-40 offensive center in the league, and a top 10 faceoff guy, the odds of a late 1st being as good of a player as Bozak are low

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
Komorov stays. Case closed.

JVR to Florida for McCann +2nd

Or

JVR to Carolina for Bean + 2nd or McKeown + 1st

Bozak to anywhere for 2 2nds
Although I'd have no problem re-signing Bozak to a hometown discount contract if he would. He brings so much to the table and is a really great glue guy.

Last edited:

MLSE

Jan 30, 2004
Windsor, Ontario
Leafs are a playoff team, they aren't going to be sellers. JVR and Bozak walk in the offseason, Komarov re-signs.

I think it more so has to do with utilizing our money better. We would still have a strong top 9 with Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Kadri, Marleau, Brown, Leivo, Kapanen and one of Bozak/JVR/Komarov...

Attaining assets and possibly making a move if a high profile defenseman comes available.

I would hope we aren't buyers or sellers but contract movers and sticking to a long term plan.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I think you're in for a rude awakening if you think you'll get a 2C for a piece that has the equivalent value of a 3rd round pick

Right. I'm in for the rude awakening. Not Leaf fans who believe 31-year-old UFA Bozak will nab them a prized young NHL-ready RHD that perfectly fills a hole for them moving forward.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Right. I'm in for the rude awakening. Not Leaf fans who believe 31-year-old UFA Bozak will nab them a prized young NHL-ready RHD that perfectly fills a hole for them moving forward.

IDK what leafs fans you've been talking to but a 2nd round pick would be my ask for bozak

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
OFFSEASON
Bozak to NYR for Holden and Graves

DEADLINE
JVR@50% to CHI for 1st rd pick, Chad Krys
Komarov to MIN for 2nd rd pick

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
IDK what leafs fans you've been talking to but a 2nd round pick would be my ask for bozak

too low for C that hit 55 pts and is excellent at faceoffs.

Boyle got a 2nd, and he is a 10-12 min a night 3rd-4th line C

late 1st/ 2nd+good prospect is what it will take

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL

True.

eg. 2nd plus Gustav Olofsson plus conditional mid-late pick from Minnesota

jimslob

Dec 9, 2008
Here is an offer from the Canucks:

An 8th round pick in the year of your choice for all three.

Might have to have a condition on it that the pick would be later if the draft was expanded to over 7 rounds.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Here is an offer from the Canucks:

An 8th round pick in the year of your choice for all three.

Might have to have a condition on it that the pick would be later if the draft was expanded to over 7 rounds.

dont quit your day job

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Komarov

Tor
Demers

FLA
Komarov
TOR 2018 2nd rd Pick

I'd probably do this from Panthers POV.

Adding a decent 3LW for a year and a 2nd round pick in a decent draft would be a win for us. Demers is a good 2nd pairing contributor offensively but I'd love to clear his contract and would prefer Pysyk or Petrovic to step into that role and play with Yandle.

Jul 19, 2017
If I recall correctly, even the Minnesota GM regretted the Hanzal trade. To a team with little centre depth, Bozak might seem like an enticing option but if that's the case, they likely wouldn't be in a position to really run for the cup.

I think Pittsburgh is a good option but I doubt Pittsburgh would pay a high price for a guy that might get very limited ice-time as a 3C.

Speaking for the Flames, I think all of those options are appealing but I wouldn't pay a 1st for anyone but JVR, and that's only if JVR can play the right-side.

Toronto should really push to trade all of these guys though for players that add depth to their defence group. Trade JVR, resign Bozak and Komarov.

Jul 19, 2017

2017 was a really weak draft class. A 2nd in 2017 likely equals a 3rd in 2015, 2016, or 2018. A comparable to the Swedish player the Flames drafted in round 4 in 2016 was projected to go in the 2nd or 3rd in 2017.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad