Value of: If traded, predict where they go and for what -- JVR, Bozak, Komarov

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
It is obvious that something has got to give with the Leafs line up at forward. The most likely candidates to be moved are the 3 soon to be UFA's at seasons end: JVR, Bozak and Komarov.

Obviously it is not a sure thing any or all of them are moved, but if so, where do you think they go, and for what?

My crack at it is...

JVR

Tor
NYI 2018 1st rd Pick
Prospect

NYI
JVR

or

Tor
Fabbro

NASH
JVR

Bozak

Tor
NYR 2018 1st rd Pick
Nick Holden

NYR
Bozak
SJS 2018 3rd rd Pick

Komarov

Tor
Demers

FLA
Komarov
TOR 2018 2nd rd Pick

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
They are all worthless...JVR and Bozak are on their final years....so even though every deadline has proven otherwise, they won't even get a 4th at the deadline. Also, there is an unwritten rule that teams can't resign players on their final year once they trade for them....as such, they are impossible to trade. This is what HF has taught me regarding these players.

;):sarcasm:

Oil Spill

Net Detective
Jan 21, 2013
They are all worthless...JVR and Bozak are on their final years....so even though every deadline has proven otherwise, they won't even get a 4th at the deadline. Also, there is an unwritten rule that teams can't resign players on their final year once they trade for them....as such, they are impossible to trade. This is what HF has taught me regarding these players.

;):sarcasm:

:nopity: Didn't take long for the "Nobody likes us and our players" pity party to get started.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I think the Isles are set for LW's, but there's been some interest in Bozak from them

actually seems like Bozak's market is much larger than JVR's based on trade forum activity recently

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
:nopity: Didn't take long for the "Nobody likes us and our players" pity party to get started.

That Train is never late.

JVR will garner a good return, especially at the deadline, if the Leafs decide to sell. I'd say a first and a good prospect is easily in the realm of possibility, depending on team, and moreso if retained.

Komarov is of the same boat, though i doubt it'll be a 1st. Players of his ilk are great for teams looking to add depth, and he is relatively cheap.

Bozak is a good player who gets banged on a lot because isn't 'complete' but i bet there are a lot of teams that would like to add a player like him.

What are the leafs retention abilities like? Im of the understanding that Bozak is least likely to be moved because of the desire to shelter Nylander a little more before moving him to center full time, no?

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

JVR will garner a good return, especially at the deadline, if the Leafs decide to sell. I'd say a first and a good prospect is easily in the realm of possibility, depending on team, and moreso if retained.

Komarov is of the same boat, though i doubt it'll be a 1st. Players of his ilk are great for teams looking to add depth, and he is relatively cheap.

Bozak is a good player who gets banged on a lot because isn't 'complete' but i bet there are a lot of teams that would like to add a player like him.

What are the leafs retention abilities like? Im of the understanding that Bozak is least likely to be moved because of the desire to shelter Nylander a little more before moving him to center full time, no?
Leafs would have no issue with retention on either JVR or Bozak at the deadline as it would be only 2ish million as long as the deal is worth it.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton

I think Komarov compares favourably to Hansen and Burrows last year, was stunned at how much they got

on these 3 contracts, I think we would be free to retain on 2 of them

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Leafs would have no issue with retention on either JVR or Bozak at the deadline as it would be only 2ish million as long as the deal is worth it.

Outside of Kessel, they have the other two 'slots' available, right? That's what i was going for - im just not as intimate with all the Leafs dealings as some others may be.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Outside of Kessel, they have the other two 'slots' available, right? That's what i was going for - im just not as intimate with all the Leafs dealings as some others may be.

Yup, 2 open slots. I guess i should have said and instead of or, we can retain on 2 of the 3 players mentioned in the OP.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Leafs are a playoff team, they aren't going to be sellers. JVR and Bozak walk in the offseason, Komarov re-signs.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I think Komarov compares favourably to Hansen and Burrows last year, was stunned at how much they got

on these 3 contracts, I think we would be free to retain on 2 of them

Agreed. Soemone like Komarov would be a nice deadline pick up, based on what i read here. Good defensively, and able to contribute offensively. Players like that are invaluable come playoff time.

That being said - whats the feeling in Toronto? If they are in the hunt, do they sell players, or let them ride it out and make their own push? I dont think anyone realistically expects them to 'contend' this year, but is the possibility of a lengthier playoff push more appealing to a team that appears to be relatively stocked on prospects?

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Leafs are a playoff team, they aren't going to be sellers. JVR and Bozak walk in the offseason, Komarov re-signs.

I sort of agree, i think if they are trading JVR or Bozak, it would be prior to the season starting for help on D. If they are in the mix at the deadline, they will keep them.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I think the Isles are set for LW's, but there's been some interest in Bozak from them

actually seems like Bozak's market is much larger than JVR's based on trade forum activity recently

I doubt it would work but it would be awesome to get Poluck for Bozak +

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Agreed. Soemone like Komarov would be a nice deadline pick up, based on what i read here. Good defensively, and able to contribute offensively. Players like that are invaluable come playoff time.

That being said - whats the feeling in Toronto? If they are in the hunt, do they sell players, or let them ride it out and make their own push? I dont think anyone realistically expects them to 'contend' this year, but is the possibility of a lengthier playoff push more appealing to a team that appears to be relatively stocked on prospects?

it's hard to say - I think there's a lot of us who feel like we could purge one or two of these guys and we may not be any worse. Kapanen and Leivo are ready - Kapanen had a very good offensive AHL year and has a gifted set of tools, Leivo is a bigger body who had a very good showing in a limited sample over a few seasons - both move freely between LW and RW as RH shots. The thought is that if Bozak goes, Nylander shifts to center, one of these guys fills Nylander's wing spot, and if either of JVR or Komarov go then the other gets plugged in there.

The likelihood is that the replacements don't fill in to quite the same level, but if it was in the ballpark, the proceeds of selling off those guys could probably get the defenseman that we need, so we'd see an improvement on the back end which probably means a net overall improvement for the team

Agree on where the team is, we'd like to win a round this year but it's probably not reasonable to think we're really in the hunt to win the cup

Personally, I'd like to see 2 of those 3 gone over the summer so we don't have to make a hard decision at the deadline. I think we should be gearing towards contention in 2018/19 and beyond rather than holding on for a little deeper run this year, and there really may be a chance that Kapanen/Leivo contribute enough to make us not miss them

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I doubt it would work but it would be awesome to get Poluck for Bozak +

I love the idea of Pulock, and he legitimately has the Leafs logo tattooed over his heart, but that shot scares me - almost a guarantee that he hurts some of his own forwards over the course of his career

I think it would have to be a big big plus now that Hamonic is gone too, seems like that was done to make room for Pulock

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
it's hard to say - I think there's a lot of us who feel like we could purge one or two of these guys and we may not be any worse. Kapanen and Leivo are ready - Kapanen had a very good offensive AHL year and has a gifted set of tools, Leivo is a bigger body who had a very good showing in a limited sample over a few seasons - both move freely between LW and RW as RH shots. The thought is that if Bozak goes, Nylander shifts to center, one of these guys fills Nylander's wing spot, and if either of JVR or Komarov go then the other gets plugged in there.

The likelihood is that the replacements don't fill in to quite the same level, but if it was in the ballpark, the proceeds of selling off those guys could probably get the defenseman that we need, so we'd see an improvement on the back end which probably means a net overall improvement for the team

Agree on where the team is, we'd like to win a round this year but it's probably not reasonable to think we're really in the hunt to win the cup

Personally, I'd like to see 2 of those 3 gone over the summer so we don't have to make a hard decision at the deadline. I think we should be gearing towards contention in 2018/19 and beyond rather than holding on for a little deeper run this year, and there really may be a chance that Kapanen/Leivo contribute enough to make us not miss them

Seems to be in line with where i saw the Leafs as well, albeit with much less intimate knowledge. Flyers have been toeing the line at the deadline for a few years now. Always' in the hunt' but not really, so I know the feeling well.

Agreed on the now as opposed to later approach. You dont want to lose players for nothing unless you feel they are the missing piece, and if you already have players ready to step up - if you can find the market now, it probably makes the most sense. Gives your new players time to all get on the same page as the rest of the team, etc. I'm excited to see what the Leafs do over the next few years. Another good d-man or two and that team will look really scary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad