Value of: If things go crazy, make your best offer for Dylan Larkin.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
It’s pretty funny to me that we’re discussing which Calgary players are untouchable in a proposal that is essentially Valimaki + Prospect because Calgary pays their 1st to dump Monahan’s cap…

That deal doesn’t get close to returning Larkin.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Wait, Hagel got 2 firsts? That makes no sense.

It makes a lot of sense if you consider his cap hit & term, the fact that those firsts should be late in the round, and also Tampa Bay's cup window and what they are trying to accomplish. High return but imo still helps TB (and of course Chicago given the number / quality of picks & prospects going the other way)

Reactions: 2020 Cup Champions

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
It makes a lot of sense if you consider his cap hit & term, the fact that those firsts should be late in the round, and also Tampa Bay's cup window and what they are trying to accomplish. High return but imo still helps TB (and of course Chicago given the number / quality of picks & prospects going the other way)
no, it still doesnt make any sense.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
no, it still doesnt make any sense.

Well, a GM who just won back to back cups with a decent chance at a third (in a flat cap) thought it made sense. Maybe you're not considering some of the reasons he looks at it differently than you do

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Well, a GM who just won back to back cups with a decent chance at a third (in a flat cap) thought it made sense. Maybe you're not considering some of the reasons he looks at it differently than you do
if it works and they win, its a good trade. if it doesnt, its a bad trade. thats basically how it works. just because someone paid 2 firsts for someone doesnt mean it was a good trade. maybe you should consider other reasons. Not all 'smart' people always make 'smart' choices.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
if it works and they win, its a good trade. if it doesnt, its a bad trade. thats basically how it works. just because someone paid 2 firsts for someone doesnt mean it was a good trade. maybe you should consider other reasons. Not all 'smart' people always make 'smart' choices.

??????

We were talking about whether the trade makes sense, not who will end up winning the trade years from now. FWIW I agree with the points in your post above, but what does any of it have to do with whether Tampa has a justifiable reason to give up so much for Hagel (which is what you parachuted in with in the first place).

Imo Tampa was justified in giving up so many assets for Hagel for the reasons I listed in my last post (like you said there are probably even more reasons which could go in either direction). Who knows how the trade will end up in hindsight, I'm just saying that right now it makes sense from Tampa's perspective given their cup window / available cap space / Hagel's 1.5m AAV, how rare the chance is for a 3-peat etc.

Anyway I'm ok dropping this if you are. Our discussion undeniably has nothing to do with the topic of this particular thread (which last I checked was Dylan Larkin not the Brandon Hagel trade)

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
On the face of it, trading Larkin is crazy.
Detroit lacks proven centers. After Larkin, Detroit lacks a capable 2C and a capable 3C. Detroit has known about this deficit at center for years and struggled to rectify the problem, and now you're going to worsen the problem?
With exactly who in the pipeline? Veleno? Rasmussen? They haven't moved the needle at all yet.
Who else? Virtually nobody with 1-2C potential.

On the UFA market, Hertel just signed. Trocheck is probably the best name still on the market. He'd be a pretty nice upgrade for the Wings as 2C. But as a 1C??? No way.

So trading Larkin sure seems like suicide.

On the other hand....
Yzerman has been the GM for 3 years. Here are Larkin's numbers over those years:
71 games 19-34-53 -21
44 games 9-14-23 -14
56 games 27-31-58 -3

Is Stevie thinking sell high?
Larkin will be 27 when his next contract starts after next season. A lucrative, eight-year deal means he's going to have declining value throughout his career.

What's Larkin worth? 8x8.5?

Personally, I still do that contract, knowing Larkin has probably peaked and it's all downhill, most likely.

I really don't think any team offers me enough to consider moving Larkin.
Detroit doesn't have a choice.
Their fans will revolt if they trade their homegrown captain in a trade that extends the rebuild by 3-5 years.
The only way I would consider it is if it were for a current #2C who still has a bit of potential and a STUD C of LD prospect.

Not many teams can hit that ask though

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
I found a deal.
To Detroit.
Byram, Newhook, Annunen
To Colorado:
Larkin.
Who says no?
Wouldn’t do it as Detroit. There’s no point to this thread because Larkin is far too improtant to the wings to trade for any package of futures. The only reason to trade him is part of a package for an upgrade at C.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
And if he gets over those concerns he’s a star #1D for a decade. I’d take the risk
I’m cool with not risking our #1C over a guy who literally called his Dad crying about how he couldn’t take it anymore. (And that’s not a rip on Byram)

That’s nearing Franzen level concern for his physical and mental health.

Maybe if we had some center depth and didn’t have Edvinsson, but it’s the opposite. Not worth it.

Reactions: simonedvinsson

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Wouldn’t do it as Detroit. There’s no point to this thread because Larkin is far too improtant to the wings to trade for any package of futures. The only reason to trade him is part of a package for an upgrade at C.
Didn't say I would.
But that's the kind of offer that would get my attention. And it might be the kind of offer Colorado makes if they're serious about winning.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
1 for 1 for Larkin isn't even close, Larkin is well established in the league Lafreniere isn't.
based on that argument i would do zacha for seider. i would even allow you to add raymond.

in a trade like this lafreniere's past performances are nearly irrelevant. either you believe in his talents or you don't. if you don't, he is not in the trade at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad