Value of: If things go crazy, make your best offer for Dylan Larkin.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
To be clear, I do NOT expect the Wings to seriously consider moving their captain. I hope he stays, and Detroit continues to build around him via the draft and a middle free agent here and there.

But if Yzerman has another surprise deadline move up his sleeve, what team(s) would be willing to put together a major trade package for him, and who could have the most attractive exchange?

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Outside of the Rangers, I don't think any other team would make a package that would move the needle for Detroit. Not sure if Rangers will, but that's the only team that has enough expendable assets and really need a good #1B/2C.

Reactions: Voight and 5cotland

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Hi. I'm a Blue Jackets fan.

mwahaha.gif

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
I'm not sure if any team would be willing to give the assets necessary to get Larkin. Detroit would need like a first, a second, a top-4 defenseman, and a blue chip prospect to let him go.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Not going to embarrass myself with a proposal cuz I’m terrible at them.

But if he was available I’d be trading Strome somewhere and paying up from a Rangers POV. I’d also like a new contract in place before the trade is through.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Monahan
Coronato
23 1st (top 3 protected)
1 more good prospect (Zary/Kerins/Poirier/Valimaki/Mackey)
1 more second tier guy or a 2nd etc.

Not trading Pelletier/Wolf

Need that 2nd 1B center to make up for not having the franchise #1

Reactions: KrisLeturnover

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I doubt they trade in the division, but the only thing holding the Bruins back from needing a full re-build at some point is the center position. Larkin lines up well with the young core of Pasta/McAvoy/Swayman. Bruins best prospects are Lysell, Lohrei and Studnicka and they own all their picks. Nothing off the table sans Pasta/McAvoy/Swayman. Multiple prospects and picks a totally fair ask. Rangers would be able to make a better offer, but do they have the longterm cap? I don't even know where to start with an offer so would defer to Wings fans to get the conversation started.

Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Monahan
Coronato
23 1st (top 3 protected)

Detroit should accept that if it was offered IMO

Reactions: Zats Muccarello

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Monahan
Coronato
23 1st (top 3 protected)

For a defensively sound PPG #1C with a great contract you absolutely include prospects like Pelletier and Wolf :laugh:

It would take a 1st alone to get rid of Monahan

That’s so unbelievably brutal

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I doubt they trade in the division, but the only thing holding the Bruins back from needing a full re-build at some point is the center position. Larkin lines up well with the young core of Pasta/McAvoy/Swayman. Bruins best prospects are Lysell, Lohrei and Studnicka and they own all their picks. Nothing off the table sans Pasta/McAvoy/Swayman. Multiple prospects and picks a totally fair ask. Rangers would be able to make a better offer, but do they have the longterm cap? I don't even know where to start with an offer so would defer to Wings fans to get the conversation started.
Problem is the two things we need are pretty much the same as the Bruins. We need either a still young but established top 4D or a blue chip C prospect.

We’ve had so many picks the last couple years that adding more B level prospects or late firsts wouldn’t really help us

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Monahan
Coronato
23 1st (top 3 protected)

Need that 2nd 1B center
to make up for not having the franchise #1
Yeah well you’re not gonna get one then.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
What would Wings want from Rangers?

Something like;
Schneider, Krav, 1st +?

Up is the way the value of this proposal needs to go. As in, the + you're adding would have to be an actual cornerstone of the offer.

Dylan Larkin is now pretty unequivocally a 1C. If you want to argue that he isn't, then he's the best 2C in the league.

Think about what you would accept for your team's 1C. Would you take the equivalent assets that you offer there for Mika Zibanejad? If the answer is absolutely not, then you have my answer about Larkin.

Seriously, for me to be okay with the Wings dealing Larkin, it would be such a huge package or a huge value asset (think MacKinnon straight up) that I literally could not possibly turn it down. It's got nothing to do with me thinking he's as valuable as them... I don't want an even value if I'm trading my young captain on a really good contract. I'm interested in making my team materially better. And the Wings are at the point where they need to start taking steps to be competitive, so a heavily futures-only laden proposal doesn't actually make a ton of sense either.

If we want to play the game of what he's as valuable as? I'd say think of a package that you're trying to get a top 20c in the league who is under a great contract for a few more years. Whatever you value that as. Unprotected 1st from a team in the bottom 6 of the league and something else maybe?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Dylan isn't and shouldn't be getting traded. It would have to be be an actual heavy overpay for Yzerman to do that.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Hi. I'm a Blue Jackets fan.

mwahaha.gif
The discussion would begin and end with Kent Johnson.

I would love Dylan Larkin as he would fit with a core of Werenski and Laine, but I think the Jackets need to see what they have first in Johnson, Sillinger, etc. Also he's a UFA next summer so that's a huge gamble for whatever team would be acquiring him.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
The discussion would begin and end with Kent Johnson.

I would love Dylan Larkin as he would fit with a core of Werenski and Laine, but I think the Jackets need to see what they have first in Johnson, Sillinger, etc. Also he's a UFA next summer so that's a huge gamble for whatever team would be acquiring him.
Kent Johnson barely even gets the conversation started

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Problem is the two things we need are pretty much the same as the Bruins. We need either a still young but established top 4D or a blue chip C prospect.

We’ve had so many picks the last couple years that adding more B level prospects or late firsts wouldn’t really help us
that is more than we offered for Eichel....

Coronato is a top prospect who is having a very similar year to what Gaudreau did in his first season in NCAA. (although we all remember your thoughts on 13)
Zary/Valimaki will be an NHL player

I'd have no problem trading Pelletier instead of Coronato. But you just don't trade elite young goalies like Wolf when you get your hands on them. It just doesn't happen. Too important of a position.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
And you didn’t get (and injured) Eichel. Maybe a good sign that your package isn’t nearly as good as you think of it.

There’s no scenario where there’s prospects off limit for someone like Larkin

Again the Flames have a pretty deep pool. I think any prospect other than Wolf would be included. But no team is trading the next Saros.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
Habs will send you Petry, Gallagher, Shea Weber, and Carey F'in Price for Larkin, but only if you retain 50% of his salary.

#DoIt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad