Value of: If things go crazy, make your best offer for Dylan Larkin.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
From CBJ I'd be comfortable sending Roslovic + 2 1st round picks (your choice, both 1sts in 2022 or one each in 2022 and 2023). Or we could just do a swap for Kent Johnson. I totally get it that the Wings wouldn't want to go there. They're probably best off just caving to Larkin and paying him. But if by chance they can't get him to sign, I think the Jackets have the assets to make the best offer.
Sending Larkin to the Blue Jackets would be painful, Roslovic and 2 1st round picks doesn't even start the conversation with Larkin and neither does Kent Johnson especially considering there would be an extension involved in the deal. The deal would need to be similar to the Seth Jones trade Yzerman would want both Kent Johnson Jack Roslovic 2 1st and a 2nd for Larkin signed for say 8 x $8,500,000 and probably a lot more.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Sending Larkin to the Blue Jackets would be painful, Roslovic and 2 1st round picks doesn't even start the conversation with Larkin and neither does Kent Johnson especially considering there would be an extension involved in the deal. The deal would need to be similar to the Seth Jones trade Yzerman would want both Kent Johnson Jack Roslovic 2 1st and a 2nd for Larkin signed for say 8 x $8,500,000 and probably a lot more.
Well obviously the price is going to be set by the several teams in the bidding (in the improbable scenario where he won't extend in Detroit). If it's just a matter of what he is worth to the Wings then he'll never be traded.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Yzerman would get on his knees and beg Drury if Lafreniere AND Schneider were on the table for Larkin
Yzerman would change the subject if that was the offer. Schneider is great but still unproven. Regardless, Detroit already has 2 young established RHD that Schneider may not ever be better than. Detroit could not touch their top 4 RHD for another 8 years and still be OK. As for Laf, draft pedigree doesn’t affect the eye test. Laf is looking more and more like a guy who took advantage of being lightyears ahead of his junior peers in terms of physical maturity to produce. The kid could’ve passed for 26 at age 18 and now that he’s playing against guys who are also capable of growing a full beard, he looks pedestrian. But I’m sure a guy who is trending the way of Nail Yakupov is someone Yzerman is really eager to add to his now centerless team. Laf will surely breakout playing against the toughest matchups while being fed by the likes of Pius Suter and rookie Veleno.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
One team would be trading their 25 year old in his prime to try and punt the talent later, the other would be trading their 20 year old to win now. I wouldn’t even do that trade if I was Detroit, but that’s the only thing that would make any sense at all
Trading young 20 year old C's with top line potential never makes sense. I get why that's what you'd want. I get that's the only thing FLA could give you that you'd like.

That doesn't mean it makes sense for FLA. Not anything that I'd be interested in them doing.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
I'd love Larkin on the leafs but we have no hole at top 6 center. Pairing him with Matthews and Marner though would be disgusting though.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Trading young 20 year old C's with top line potential never makes sense. I get why that's what you'd want. I get that's the only thing FLA could give you that you'd like.

That doesn't mean it makes sense for FLA. Not anything that I'd be interested in them doing.
I mean if you have a cup window the next 5 years and have a chance to land a player who fits that window better, it COULD make sense. Larkin certainly fits age-wise with the rest of the panthers core. That said Lundell’s greatest value to Florida isn’t the player he is but the cap hit he has.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Np just wanted to gauge an offer. What would be considered close for you?
NYR is a tough one because we need blue chip C prospects, established 2C with potential and established top 4D with potential. NYR have some great pieces but not really the types that would fit what we need.

To absolutely decimate our C depth you would need a massive overpay and players like Schneider and Kravtsov certainly don’t do that. It would be Laf/Kakko + with the plus being a pretty big piece that I don’t think NYR would do either

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Obviously. Bare minimum, really. And I don't think there's any appetite here for that to happen. But still. :)
Zach Werenski for Larkin, straight up.

Then, if Larkin decides to sign back with us to come home and play with his buddy on their dream team…. Well, I couldn’t begrudge him that. 😋

(I am of course being tongue in cheek)

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I think there's some level setting that needs to be done here:

Is Larkin being traded as an UFA or signed to a new deal? Massive change to the return.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Zach Werenski for Larkin, straight up.

Then, if Larkin decides to sign back with us to come home and play with his buddy on their dream team…. Well, I couldn’t begrudge him that. 😋

(I am of course being tongue in cheek)
trouble.gif

;)

Reactions: SoupNazi

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Nah Larkin is not worth that. 3 1sts essentially? And paying him 8.5??? Pass.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Yzerman would get on his knees and beg Drury if Lafreniere AND Schneider were on the table for Larkin
So that we can have another struggling winger and add to our our like 7 quality D prospects we already have?

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
Kakko, Chytil, Lundkvist, 1st, '23 2nd for Larkin, Namestnikov (rental).

That'd be about my max, or close to it.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Yzerman ain't trading the guy he named captain just last year. Only way is if Larkin makes it known that he won't resign/wants to test free agency which is unlikely

Reactions: bbny

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
NYR is a tough one because we need blue chip C prospects, established 2C with potential and established top 4D with potential. NYR have some great pieces but not really the types that would fit what we need.

To absolutely decimate our C depth you would need a massive overpay and players like Schneider and Kravtsov certainly don’t do that. It would be Laf/Kakko + with the plus being a pretty big piece that I don’t think NYR would do either

You'll probably run into that with most teams. If a team has a stud NHL-ready C prospect, then they don't need Larkin. If they are swapping that prospect for Larkin because of an anticipated Cup run, there's the whole issue of Larkin not really having any playoff experience. I'm still not entirely sure why Larkin would be available considering his age.

I don't really see much of Detroit except for when they play the Rangers, but I did have one question. Larkin's career stat line reads like a roller coaster, where you seemingly don't know what you're going to get from one season to the next. His rookie season was great. Sophomore season saw a 13 point drop and an ugly +/-. Seasons 3 and 4 he bounced back and looked to be settling in as a legit 1c (esp season 4). But then seasons 5 and 6 were ugly with 20 and 30 point drops. Now this season, he's a ppg+. His shooting % is all over the place from year to year as well with his lowest (6.7%) and highest (16.1%) coming in the last two seasons.

What's his deal? Is he more of a passenger type who needs talent to put up production? Has he played through injuries in certain years? Is he just wildly inconsistent? Like I said, I rarely see the player, so I'm not judging or making any assertions on his value or anything. I've just never seen such regular fluctuation in a player's stat line.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
No team in the NHL is going to trade what it would take to get Larkin from Detroit. There is no winning that trade from either side. For a healthy (and assumedly extended) Larkin, you're looking at a trade that would be extremely damaging to either a team's roster or future. As an example, NYR would have to give Lafreniere+1st+another good piece. They aren't going to make that trade.

If Larkin is heading to UFA and lets Yzerman know he won't sign here, Yzerman will probably trade him with retention for a first+high level prospect+decent mid-roster player...but I don't see Larkin leaving.

Reactions: MarkMessyay11

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad