If therrien is fired, what coaches are out there to replace him?

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
I also hope the Habs keep following the trend of hiring most anglo players than french ones, it has been so succesful over the last 20 years. Winning hockey teams are overrated anways. I could play that game too.

As if coaches makes winning teams. In which planet are some people living?

Dont be naive. Coaches make a huge difference.

Look at the scrubs in Boston who buy into and then execute the system. You have Thornton the goon playing effective hockey. Passive Paille becomes aggressive Paille. Kelly scores his NHL career high goals as a Bruin. Reilly Smith has more points in 19 games with the Bruins than he had all last season in 37 games.

And then we can look at the mediocre DMen who are playing far above their talent level.......McQuaid, Krug, Bartkowski and Dougie Boy.

Its not their over-abundance of talent. It is ALL ABOUT COACHING.

canadiensnation

Jun 11, 2011
GTA
I think MB should make a trade before Christmas if nothing is changing. After that if the team is still not responding Therrien will be gone.

To me Therrien's biggest weakness is in game adjustments and being able to push his style of play through his players.

canadiensnation

Jun 11, 2011
GTA
Guy Boucher as head coach.

Hal Gill as an assistant.

BOOM.
and Mike Komisarek as the other assistant....:sarcasm:

komisarek.jpg

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
exactly.coaches and they re abilities are not important.neither are general managers.but what is important is that the habs continue to lose .after all whats more important ?the language one speaks or his abilities?the answer is pretty obvious.

Doesn't seem too obvious to you. How about the players? And yes, GM are important. Yet, in evaluating who is great for you and your organization, tell me besides Ken Holland who would have made a great GM for us.

Lionel Mandrake

I want to meet these people, if they exist. I want to hear them say they put language over success. I want to see it in person so I can laugh in their faces at their stupidity.

I'm French speaking myself and I never understood what represents a lack of respect in the fact that the Canadiens could hire an English speaking coach or GM. Maybe it's a generational thing, but I just don't get it. As a fan, the only thing that matters is the product on the ice. When the Prime Minister or any other politician who takes an active role in deciding where the society I live in is heading cannot speak a word of French, I'll get down in the street with the other pitchfork protestors. But this is a freakin sports team. It's entertainment FFS.

What represents a lack of respect, towards me, the paying customer, from this owner, is being told that in a league where it is already so difficult to gain a competitive edge, we'll take the conscious decision to handicap ourselves by hiring someone who must be able to speak to me in my native tongue about such important, life altering matters as why it is that the 3rd line was put together the way it was, or why we felt the need to bring in more sandpaper through a trade. Right. I feel so respected now that I can hear people who usually have a hard time articulating a gramatically coherent sentence butcher the beautiful French language in a Press conference about the hockey team I cheer for. :sarcasm:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Dont be naive. Coaches make a huge difference.

Look at the scrubs in Boston who buy into and then execute the system. You have Thornton the goon playing effective hockey. Passive Paille becomes aggressive Paille. Kelly scores his NHL career high goals as a Bruin. Reilly Smith has more points in 19 games with the Bruins than he had all last season in 37 games.

And then we can look at the mediocre DMen who are playing far above their talent level.......McQuaid, Krug, Bartkowski and Dougie Boy.

Its not their over-abundance of talent. It is ALL ABOUT COACHING.

Pretty sure that I've already stated that there ARE a few exceptions. Even if Babcock has had all sorts of talent, he was still a good coach. Julien, I've always mentioned he was something special and a great coach for them. Thinking they are just mediocre is just solely filled with biased opinions that isn't based on anything tangible. Reilly Smith is a younger player...only normal to see him improving. So after you look at every other teams and their coaches, you find out that finding the exceptional isn't so easy and it's mostly based on luck. I keep saying this but that great coach that is Julien, if we score on OT Game 7, the guy is fired. That's how GREAT he is.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Guy Boucher likes the trap and soft teams. So a big NO from me.

Regarding soft, I have to disagree with you.

When he coached Hamilton, Boucher had Alex Henry, Eric Neilson, Greg Stewart, Andrew Conboy and Ryan White on the team. And he wasnt afraid to let his players fight.

The Bulldogs that season were pretty hard to play against.

Yzerman is the guy who dictated the Bolts to be on the soft side. He never gave Boucher much toughness to work with. Or a goalie.

Pretty sure that I've already stated that there ARE a few exceptions. Even if Babcock has had all sorts of talent, he was still a good coach. Julien, I've always mentioned he was something special and a great coach for them. Thinking they are just mediocre is just solely filled with biased opinions that isn't based on anything tangible. Reilly Smith is a younger player...only normal to see him improving. So after you look at every other teams and their coaches, you find out that finding the exceptional isn't so easy and it's mostly based on luck. I keep saying this but that great coach that is Julien, if we score on OT Game 7, the guy is fired. That's how GREAT he is.

If what you are saying is true, then why are we even talking about Therrien and criticizing him............if coaching does not matter.

And if you go towards criticizing the players on the team, then you have to criticize the guy in your avatar who drafted them.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Regarding soft, I have to disagree with you.

When he coached Hamilton, Boucher had Alex Henry, Eric Neilson, Greg Stewart, Andrew Conboy and Ryan White on the team. And he wasnt afraid to let his players fight.

The Bulldogs that season were pretty hard to play against.

Yzerman is the guy who dictated the Bolts to be on the soft side. He never gave Boucher much toughness to work with. Or a goalie.
Exactly, if you look at this teams in the QMJHL, he had multiple guys with 100+ PIM.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Just hopped in this thread without reading all the pages. Has Guy Boucher been suggested more than 40 times yet?

Haburger

Jan 17, 2011
Doesn't seem too obvious to you. How about the players? And yes, GM are important. Yet, in evaluating who is great for you and your organization, tell me besides Ken Holland who would have made a great GM for us.

whats obvious is that the montreal canadiens hockey organization likes to lose.by repeatedly limiting they re options when it comes to hiring coaches and gm s.do we want the best person possible or the best person who speaks French?cause its seems pretty clear that winning is secondary,and whats worse is that ownership doesn't care. I don't know how you cant underatand this.this team is the result of bad ownership.maybe im wrong and mt amd mb will right the ship,but ******* am I sick and tired of this franchise constantly limiting themselves because of a language issue.cany we just hire the best man for the job and teach him French later?is it really that difficult?

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
just hopped in this thread without reading all the pages. Has guy boucher been suggested more than 40 times yet?

i've been a boucher guy since day 1, people were *****ing when we kept martin over him after 2010. If we miss out on him again for therrien i'll be pissed.

boucher is the future.

this.

Boucher would have been a yearly success in tampa bay if he would have had a reliably consistent goalie on the team.

i'd like to see what guy boucher could do with this team. I think he's a great coach and he now has nhl coaching experience so he won't do his rookie mistakes here.

Imho the problem behind the cunneyworth fiasco isn't solely that he spoke english, its that he was also a no name rookie with little experience, clearly not the best available and horrible results on the ice. That he was unilingual english just made it worst.

I'm sure a well known english speaking coach with personality would be accepted by the french media and fans.

regardless of what i said, boucher is a decent candidate. Very decent at that.

houle in hamilton for sure. For the nhl, it's boucher. Or you go with tourigny. Or go as far as to offer it to groulx. We are not talking about a whole lot of experience here. But you never know.

Or.....you offer it to robinson.

i think boucher is the obvious choice for now. He's one of the best available candidates, plus the language issue becomes a non-issue.

guy boucher needed the exprience before coaching the habs, now he has it... He's the future...

anyway i don't even know why we're having this debate right now, one of the best candidate (if not the best) happens to be french in guy boucher.

- he's young so if bergevin wants a coach long term, he's the man for the job.

- he's not clueless when it comes to tactics, unlike our current coach.

- he knows how to motivate his players since he has studied psychology, understands that you need a different approach with every player on the team.

- he's familiar with some of our players that played under him in tampa (pk, pacioretty, white, dumont, desharnais).

- he's had success at every level including the nhl.

- he's well spoken and he's bilingual.

Boucher, waite and bergevin would be a solid trio going forward.

guy boucher would be fine for this team. The only worry is that he'll see how weak the d is and play a slow paced game to tighten up which would stifle the offense even more. But then again, he's a smart man and i have faith he'd be able to adapt to the club and play the puck possession east to west style that fits best for the personnel.

as stated earlier, i agree about boucher and i think that he would be a success here.

However, the long knives are already drawn and waiting for him here in montreal. Look at a lot of the responses regarding him here on this forum.

i like boucher.....but i hope he learned from his tbay years and adapt. No trap for me. Yet, we need to have the forwards to be a solid forecheck.

i am all in for boucher. Hes the one who made nhl players with subban, pacioretty and desharnais. And he totally look bad-ass!

guy boucher as head coach.

Hal gill as an assistant.

Boom.

regarding soft, i have to disagree with you.

When he coached hamilton, boucher had alex henry, eric neilson, greg stewart, andrew conboy and ryan white on the team. And he wasnt afraid to let his players fight.

The bulldogs that season were pretty hard to play against.

Yzerman is the guy who dictated the bolts to be on the soft side. He never gave boucher much toughness to work with. Or a goalie.

If what you are saying is true, then why are we even talking about therrien and criticizing him............if coaching does not matter.

And if you go towards criticizing the players on the team, then you have to criticize the guy in your avatar who drafted them.

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
The best GM would have been Nill. But he signed with Dallas.

Since hes there he already made a lot of things.

Bergevin did nothing except cole/ryder and he didnt kept ryder.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
So you think that change of playing style or tactics or line rotations won't make any difference? The coach with a balls to give ice time players that deserve it and not the ones that they wish would produce. For gods sakes I think there's noone in the league that would play our players the way Therrien is.

I agree with you that coaching tactics do make a difference but you need talent in order to win, we have some but not near enough to get us to where we as fans want our team to be.

We are an 8th to 10th place team as we are now, Therrien or not, we have been through too many coaches and the results have been similar with them all.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
whats obvious is that the montreal canadiens hockey organization likes to lose.by repeatedly limiting they re options when it comes to hiring coaches and gm s.do we want the best person possible or the best person who speaks French?cause its seems pretty clear that winning is secondary,and whats worse is that ownership doesn't care. I don't know how you cant underatand this.this team is the result of bad ownership.maybe im wrong and mt amd mb will right the ship,but ******* am I sick and tired of this franchise constantly limiting themselves because of a language issue.cany we just hire the best man for the job and teach him French later?is it really that difficult?

...And what if his first language is actually French?

That's the problem.

The French candidate is DEEMED not to be/have been the best available.

Some people should really get rid of their Stockholm Syndrome and cheer for the Sens. The French requirement for coaching job appears to be idiot at first glance. The problem is, there might not even be such requirement.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Those people probably weren't hockey fans to begin with.

This said, the only thing is the whole "hire French" is that, if ever a French candidate is hired, some will wonder if he's the best candidate.

But those questions will not arise if the candidate isn't French... even if that non-French candidate isn't necessarily the best either.

The only reason the question even comes up is because the team has made it public that anyone who does not speak french is disqualified for the job.

If you eliminate the vast majority of potential candidates based on something trivial, then you cannot expect that people won't question if he really is the best man for the job.

Maybe the french speaking guy IS the best man for the job. But how can you ever even know for sure if you don't even consider anyone else?

Problem is that a coach isn't a player. There's just NO WAY unless your name is Babcock that you can associate coach AND success right of the get go. Roy = Success. Now...who in here called him an idiot? Who in here said that we might be going for him ONLY because he speaks french? Who here wanted Hitchcock? Can we pull off every coaching thread we ever created when it was time to choose and can we see how in their right mind suggestd Hitchcock? Who talked about Jon Cooper? Yet, the day I have a choice between Francis Bouillon and Shea Weber...well yes....THEN it's obvious. But coach? Sorry, no way to know. So language comes in as an important criteria? The only one? No, cause if it would, Richard Martel would have been a candidate....Pascal Vincent also etc. So language DOES not make an average candidate become a great one. Never did. Out of our last coaches, Julien and Vigneault are still coaching. Therrien had a chance to coach after his first stint with us. Only Carbo didn't. Gainey isn't a coach. Cunneyworth is a scout.

It doesn't matter. My issue is that the team is willingly handicapping itself in this regard. That just seems so backwards to me.

care to name the english-only coaches who brought a cup to Montreal ?

I doubt anyone is Pejorative Slured enough to think your prez. was elected because he's black. here in Montreal, even though we're in 2013, there's people Pejorative Slured enough to think that every single time a frenchie is chosen for a job (whatever the job) with the Habs, the sole reason for his hiring is language...

sorry mate, if you speak french, you cannot be a competent "worker", very very sorry, it's technically impossible.

so, the only reason they were hired is to talk to the media...

obviously it cannot be for any other reason, they speak french afterall...

I know, and you're making the exact same point I am... except here in Montreal, people think the only reason a french speaking coach would become the Habs HC is because ??

I see two possibilities here. Either you have completely missed the point, or more likely you are purposely misinterpreting the argument.

I'm not even sure if it's worth responding but I think, deep down, you do get it, but you're just trying to start an argument I guess.

I will break it down, as simple as possible.

If you are WILLINGLY eliminating the VAST MAJORITY of potential candidates based on language, WHICH THE TEAM PUBLICLY ADMITS THAT IT DOES, then you are cannot possibly know if you got the best guy. That's it. That's all we are saying.

Calm your **** everyone, ain't nobody here saying that french guys are no good.

But, this archaic rule is STUPID. This is SPORTS TEAM. Not politics. SPORTS TEAM. It doesn't matter what language the coach speaks. It DOESN'T.

But because we force this rule upon us, we're stuck with a significantly smaller talent pool.

NOT LESS TALENTED. CALM DOWN, CALM THE **** DOWN.

Just SMALLER. And as it so happens, there isn't always a great french coach available when we need one. Which is why we're stuck with re-furbished garbage like Michel Therrien.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
...So, what do we do?
Never hire a French coach, in order to keep an angry minority in check?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
This is really the best you could come up with?

Jesus Christ.

Look above my post. I'm working with the material I got.

EDIT : Not necessarily your post. Sorry, I just fell on a few WakeUpNHL posts and those tend to dumb me down a bit.

Haburger

Jan 17, 2011
...So, what do we do?
Never hire a French coach, in order to keep an angry minority in check?

what you do is hire the best person for the job,REGARDLESS of their background.this must be a new concept for people on here to understand,but it is actually effective.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Look Boucher wouldn't be better than Therrien, Boucher has proven nothing. In fact he failed pretty quickly.

The only big upgrade to Therrien that's outthere would be Jacques Lemaire.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad