If therrien is fired, what coaches are out there to replace him?

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
More like Holmgren failed to land him a decent goalie when they were at their peak. Anybody in their right mind knew that getting Bryzgalov (especially with that contract) was a horrible idea. By the way, I don't consider losing in the SCF as 'failing'.

Let's be reality. Philly made it to the finals because we knocked out all the contenders in the East and Halak couldn't handle a team that actually went in front of the net. Plus he couldn't handle playing more than 10 games in a row.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Marco Schällibaum laughs at the Habs.

Montreal Impact, with the Swiss head coach, had a home attendance average of 20,603.

The stadium capacity is 20,521, which means that the percentage of the time it is full and sold out is 100.40%.

Molson, open your eyes. This is 2013. Women can vote. A black man can be a President in the USA. The Canadiens should hire a coach based on competency, not the language he speaks.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Let's be reality. Philly made it to the finals because we knocked out all the contenders in the East and Halak couldn't handle a team that actually went in front of the net. Plus he couldn't handle playing more than 10 games in a row.

They made it to the finals because of their depth up front and on the back end. Take a look at that roster again and tell me the same thing.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan

Montreal Impact, with the Swiss head coach, had a home attendance average of 20,603.

The stadium capacity is 20,521, which means that the percentage of the time it is full and sold out is 100.40%.

Molson, open your eyes. This is 2013. Women can vote. A black man can be a President in the USA. The Canadiens should hire a coach based on competency, not the language he speaks.

Completely different situation. Soccer fans in Québec are not what I would call your typical pure laine québecois with the last name of Tremblay. There are some but they're a minority.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal

The Flyers were a deep team and Pronger was a beast the entire playoffs. Holmgrem then decided to tear the team apart, getting rid of Richards and Carter, eventually trading JVR as well. Not to mention they never fully replaced Pronger and that their D became as big of a problem as their goaltending.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

I doubt anyone is Pejorative Slured enough to think your prez. was elected because he's black. here in Montreal, even though we're in 2013, there's people Pejorative Slured enough to think that every single time a frenchie is chosen for a job (whatever the job) with the Habs, the sole reason for his hiring is language...

sorry mate, if you speak french, you cannot be a competent "worker", very very sorry, it's technically impossible.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
If I were Molson id break the bank on a top coach with language being irrelevant. Next, have a solo announcement that explains he owns the team and wants to win; anyone against the new coach is against the Habs succeeding. Then, since we actually have a good coach, none of the media can whine since the Ws pile up. It just takes some guts to stand up to the media once, and the issue will be resolved. The Habs actually reapecting the threat of media is the problem. No ones going to care if were winning; and well win if we don't limit our options.

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

For the uninformed, coach does not need to be pure-laine, he needs to speak a working French - more than merci, bonjour....

BTW Marco Schällibaum speaks an impeccable french

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
just in case you missed it : english ONLY...

I put Scotty Bowman down without thinking about it, but remembered he's from Montreal. Toe Blake and Dick Irving were not french however.

It's also been how long since they've even allowed English coaches to be hired or interview? Probably since before Bowman in the 70s so it's kind of skewed.

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
If I were Molson id break the bank on a top coach with language being irrelevant. Next, have a solo announcement that explains he owns the team and wants to win; anyone against the new coach is against the Habs succeeding. Then, since we actually have a good coach, none of the media can whine since the Ws pile up. It just takes some guts to stand up to the media once, and the issue will be resolved. The Habs actually reapecting the threat of media is the problem. No ones going to care if were winning; and well win if we don't limit our options.

One - where is this top coach that is not currently employed by an NHL team????

Two - so you name a coach and you can guarantee wins? Really - colour me impressed.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I put Scotty Bowman down without thinking about it, but remembered he's from Montreal. Toe Blake and Dick Irving were not french however.

It's also been how long since they've even allowed English coaches to be hired or interview? Probably since before Bowman in the 70s so it's kind of skewed.

Bowman isnt a frenchie either, but he doesnt speak english only...

as for the other two, I'd suggest you do a little research...

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
I doubt anyone is Pejorative Slured enough to think your prez. was elected because he's black. here in Montreal, even though we're in 2013, there's people Pejorative Slured enough to think that every single time a frenchie is chosen for a job (whatever the job) with the Habs, the sole reason for his hiring is language...

sorry mate, if you speak french, you cannot be a competent "worker", very very sorry, it's technically impossible.

I never said he was elected because he was black. Being black did not disqualify him from the job.

That's my point. There should not be a disqualifier for a head coaching position anywhere in the NHL.

All I am saying is that times are changing around the world. The buzz words are diversity, tolerance and acceptance.

Montreal is a very cosmopolitan city with great diversity. Acceptance is accorded to every race, religion, sexual orientation etc and so on.........except for the Montreal Canadiens.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Hiring second rate coaches like Therrien, Carbo et al because they can speak to the media will though.

so, the only reason they were hired is to talk to the media...

obviously it cannot be for any other reason, they speak french afterall...

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Sure - because the two coaches you names are 60 years removed when French did not matter in Montreal.

More nonsense....

Once again, it's been since the 50's/60's since management was even allowed to hire the best candidate regardless of nationality or language. Hard to judge the success when the option isn't even there but given the Irvin and Blake's success behind the bench you certainly can't argue against it.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I never said he was elected because he was black. Being black did not disqualify him from the job.

That's my point. There should not be a disqualifier for a head coaching position anywhere in the NHL.

All I am saying is that times are changing around the world. The buzz words are diversity, tolerance and acceptance.

Montreal is a very cosmopolitan city with great diversity. Acceptance is accorded to every race, religion, sexual orientation etc and so on.........except for the Montreal Canadiens.

So you're saying that we should encourage diversity, tolerance and acceptance because they're buzzwords? :sarcasm:

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

That's my point.
There should not be a disqualifier for a head coaching position anywhere in the NHL.

I know, and you're making the exact same point I am... except here in Montreal, people think the only reason a french speaking coach would become the Habs HC is because ??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad