If therrien is fired, what coaches are out there to replace him?

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
so, the only reason they were hired is to talk to the media...

obviously it cannot be for any other reason, they speak french afterall...

I'm not saying the only reaosn they were hired was because they speak french. I'm saying it was the first variable identified before an evaluation can be made on the candidates. It eliminates the vast majority of the candidates immediately without even hearing their plans or mantras.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Once again, it's been since the 50's/60's since management was even allowed to hire the best candidate regardless of nationality or language. Hard to judge the success when the option isn't even there but given the Irvin and Blake's success behind the bench you certainly can't argue against it.

so, the only reason Bowman kept his job is because he knew a few words of french, is that what you're saying ?

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Anyway I don't even know why we're having this debate right now, one of the best candidate (if not the best) happens to be french in Guy Boucher.

- He's young so if Bergevin wants a coach long term, he's the man for the job.

- He's not clueless when it comes to tactics, unlike our current coach.

- He knows how to motivate his players since he has studied psychology, understands that you need a different approach with every player on the team.

- He's familiar with some of our players that played under him in Tampa (PK, Pacioretty, White, Dumont, Desharnais).

- He's had success at every level including the NHL.

- He's well spoken and he's bilingual.

Boucher, Waite and Bergevin would be a solid trio going forward.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Anyway I don't even know why we're having this debate right now, one of the best candidate (if not the best) happens to be french in Guy Boucher.

- He knows how to motivate his players since he has studied psychology, understands that you need a different approach with every player on the team.

- He's familiar with some of our players that played under him in Tampa (PK, Pacioretty, White, Dumont, Desharnais).

You forgot that he looks like a bond villain and that he's a total bad ass.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
so, the only reason Bowman kept his job is because he knew a few words of french, is that what you're saying ?

Your reading comprehension is fine, stop trying to antagonize people. It's pretty obvious that being a local up and coming coach helped him gain a position with the Canadiens.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
For the uninformed, coach does not need to be pure-laine, he needs to speak a working French - more than merci, bonjour....

BTW Marco Schällibaum speaks an impeccable french

Fluenz.com
Rosetta Stone
Pimsleur Method (Intermediate level French in 30 days)
schoolsuccess.ca (400 certified French tutors in Montreal)

If a man is smart enough to be an NHL coach, he is smart enough to learn a new language. Look at the progress of Emelin with his English.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada

Guy Boucher would be fine for this team. The only worry is that he'll see how weak the D is and play a slow paced game to tighten up which would stifle the offense even more. But then again, he's a smart man and I have faith he'd be able to adapt to the club and play the puck possession east to west style that fits best for the personnel.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011

As stated earlier, I agree about Boucher and I think that he would be a success here.

However, the long knives are already drawn and waiting for him here in Montreal. Look at a lot of the responses regarding him here on this Forum.

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I never said he was elected because he was black. Being black did not disqualify him from the job.

That's my point. There should not be a disqualifier for a head coaching position anywhere in the NHL.

All I am saying is that times are changing around the world. The buzz words are diversity, tolerance and acceptance.

Montreal is a very cosmopolitan city with great diversity. Acceptance is accorded to every race, religion, sexual orientation etc and so on.........except for the Montreal Canadiens.

Your argument is overly simplistic, there is a context and reality of Montreal market.

That being said, I want to re-iterate that nationality is not the issue, but that the coach speaks a working French. This standard is not only applicable to Montreal, there are plenty of similarities with European football. Ancelotti communicates to the fans and media of real Madrid in Spanish not Italian. Every heat Petkovic (Lazio head coach) speak Italian? I thought not.

A team with such a rich tradition as the Canadiens cannot afford to have a coach that cannot communicate to the masses and the majority of the media. It's plainly a pre-requisite of the job - like you see in many other industries in Quebec.

All that said, I'm sure if Babcock would become available fans and media would give him the opportunity to perfect his french.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I'm going to ask you guys to cool it in here. Some of the things being said in this thread are getting way too heated, personal and political for this forum. Infractions and forum/temp bans if you can't figure it out.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I like Boucher.....but I hope he learned from his TBay years and adapt. No trap for me. Yet, we need to have the forwards to be a solid forecheck.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I'm not sure who I would like as the next coach, but I will respect the decision the management makes if they do their homework the same way the other 29 teams in the nhl do their homework. If Boucher is the best option, then so be it, I will respect it.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
I'm going to ask you guys to cool it in here. Some of the things being said in this thread are getting way too heated, personal and political for this forum. Infractions and forum/temp bans if you can't figure it out.

Can I quote this and say "Damn you Therrien" for making us have this conversation?

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003

Delete message.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I'm not sure who I would like as the next coach, but I will respect the decision the management makes if they do their homework the same way the other 29 teams in the nhl do their homework.

Well last time they did their homework and we ended up with Therrien... Hopefully next time they copy their homework off that asian kid in our class.

:sarcasm:

Haburger

Jan 17, 2011
Your argument is overly simplistic, there is a context and reality of Montreal market.

That being said, I want to re-iterate that nationality is not the issue, but that the coach speaks a working French. This standard is not only applicable to Montreal, there are plenty of similarities with European football. Ancelotti communicates to the fans and media of real Madrid in Spanish not Italian. Every heat Petkovic (Lazio head coach) speak Italian? I thought not.

A team with such a rich tradition as the Canadiens cannot afford to have a coach that cannot communicate to the masses and the majority of the media. It's plainly a pre-requisite of the job - like you see in many other industries in Quebec.

All that said, I'm sure if Babcock would become available fans and media would give him the opportunity to perfect his french.

boy I hope the habs keep following this trend of hiring based on language instead of ability,it has been so successful over the last 20 years.winning hockey teams are overrated anyways.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
boy I hope the habs keep following this trend of hiring based on language instead of ability,it has been so successful over the last 20 years.winning hockey teams are overrated anyways.

I also hope the Habs keep following the trend of hiring most anglo players than french ones, it has been so succesful over the last 20 years. Winning hockey teams are overrated anways. I could play that game too.

As if coaches makes winning teams. In which planet are some people living?

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Well last time they did their homework and we ended up with Therrien... Hopefully next time they copy their homework off that asian kid in our class.

:sarcasm:

:laugh::laugh:

Exactly what this thread needed. A little bit of levity.

Nice one.:D

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
If only it made sense. Therrien somehow managed to paint a picasso by chance last year with the same crayolas? Pretty clear he's losing control.

Last year wasn't a Picasso. It was a Jackson Pollack.

pollock.number-8.jpg

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
I am all in for Boucher. Hes the one who made nhl players with Subban, Pacioretty and Desharnais. And he totally look bad-ass!

Haburger

Jan 17, 2011
I also hope the Habs keep following the trend of hiring most anglo players than french ones, it has been so succesful over the last 20 years. Winning hockey teams are overrated anways. I could play that game too.

As if coaches makes winning teams. In which planet are some people living?

exactly.coaches and they re abilities are not important.neither are general managers.but what is important is that the habs continue to lose .after all whats more important ?the language one speaks or his abilities?the answer is pretty obvious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad