If the Oilers fire Chia or McLellan, who should replace them?

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
oh ya forgot about that one lol :|
No worries, m8.

The point stands though - Todd couldn't get more talented Sharks teams than the 2016 squad into a Cup final.

But, back on topic, the Oilers need to dispatch the old boys at the top. That's the root cause problem.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Lol.

Yet the Sharks haven't made it past the WCF since he's left with largely the same roster intact. The Sharks couldn't even beat the Oilers coached by McLellan last year....
It didn't help that he had a roster where his star player were incapable of raising their game to the next level. (Thornton and Marleau)

Thornton's next level must be damn high. His normal level was already elite.

Reactions: THall4

Dan403

Apr 2, 2014
Just MacT and Lowe take the rains again. Just for the lulz.

Kevin Lowe has won alot of Stanley cups he knows a thing or two about winning don't ya know.

I'm personally enjoying every last loss the oilers have had this season. It was a long summer of Oilers fans getting cocky after one season where they had a little success. Can't count how many oilers fans were saying how the Canucks are a joke of a franchise.

Look at the standings now boyos. Look at them! Just LOL

I second the KLowe suggestion. I'm pretty sure he's a pro at "building something special."

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
No worries, m8.

The point stands though - Todd couldn't get more talented Sharks teams than the 2016 squad into a Cup final.

But, back on topic, the Oilers need to dispatch the old boys at the top. That's the root cause problem.

Peter Chiarelli dismantling the team too early was the root cause of the teams current failure. From last years team he removed Pouliot, Eberle, Lander, Pitlick, Hendricks (leadership) and Desharnias...and essentially replaced them with Jokinen/Cammalleri, and Strome.

The Oilers have 8M in cap space...for a team that was looking to take the next step into contender-ship....most team that a contending right now have 0-3.5M in cap space right now. Its extremely puzzling.

In hindsight, trading Eberle last summer was unnecessary. He would've been dealt yes, but it didn't need to happen until at least this coming summer. Perhaps it would've rewarded Eberle a chance to redeem himself thus getting the Oilers more value in return.

Batrous

May 4, 2016
Okay first off.

The Oilers went from a team that missed the playoffs for a very long time to a team that made it to round 2 game 7 last year.

Second: During that long time looking from the outside (2008 draft to 2016 draft) they drafted exactly 4 players outside the first round that have played at least 100 NHL games (Rieder, Davidson, Lander and Marincin).

Not surprisingly they have had problems with good depth for many years.

Peter Chiarelli was brought onto a team that was to put it nicely an absolute mess with many of the players on that team having developed losing habits and (no doubt) a team culture that was only going to cause them to lose even more. He has made several mistakes during his term as GM with some of them being big ones (Griffin Reinhart trade, Hall trade, etc) and he signed some players to deals that are or will hurt the club longer term (Lucic deal, and so on). However, he at least has shown that he understands the team's real weaknesses and hasn't been afraid to try and make a move to address those weaknesses.

I wouldn't fire the GM or the Coach. This situation Edmonton is in is a situation that does NOT have an easy fix. It will take years for the Oilers to build up their depth even more and to continue to make moves to change the group's culture to one where the players commit themselves to a 60 minute full game with a complete work ethic in each game.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Tippett was awful the last 6 or 7 years in Arizona. Even 2012 was all about Mike Smith on a hot streak and playing over his head.

Maybe he can be effective somewhere new, but Arizona has been one of the worst defensive teams since 2010 or 2011. They were not a good defensive team in 11-12, contrary to popular belief.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Sutter and Lombardi should. But out of the two McLellan stays because it's obviously not his fault, Chiarelli has shown how bad he is by the trades he's made; only one he made that I deem good is the Maroon trade. Although, I notice Maroon is starting to slow down.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Caps offer Barry Trotz for McLellen (50% retained)....;)
Caps get hosed in this one. Isn’t Trotz on an expiring contract? I thought Todd got 4 or 5 years when he first signed in Edmonton, so he’s signed at least one year longer than Trotz.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Sutter and Lombardi should. But out of the two McLellan stays because it's obviously not his fault, Chiarelli has shown how bad he is by the trades he's made; only one he made that I deem good is the Maroon trade. Although, I notice Maroon is starting to slow down.
I thought Talbot was a good trade. He’s been pretty solid for them, even though he’s not having a good season.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Brisbois and Dubas should be top candidates in any GM search IMO. It's hard for a fan to judge their worth on the outside but just from pedigree alone.

As for coaches, it's a tough call. Even the best coaches get regularly criticized. And there's probably only a few really good coaches in the league right now- some of them have had to earn their stripes..like Cooper.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I thought Talbot was a good trade. He’s been pretty solid for them, even though he’s not having a good season.

I find Talbot has been overrated. And I was one of the people who were sold on how good he was, but I believe he just had a very good season last year. Overall, Chia has made more bad trades than good.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Any average coach can probably replace McLellan and you might get an upgrade.

All he does is pace around behind the bench, with a mean look on his face. He had a couple cup caliber teams in San Jose, and they constantly underachieved under him. This guy got his job because he was basically Mike Babcock's lawn guy. So happy that I never have to hear how good of a coach this guy is, as if his teams are a product of him. Until the next time he lucks into a stacked roster.

Doug Wilson should have fired him after the 2014 playoffs, but kept him another year. It wasn't his fault the Sharks missed the playoffs, but he had already lost the team and should have been gone. I've been arguing that he's beyond overrated since 2011 or so.

Its very telling that after he left, the Sharks finally broke thru and made the finals.

Reactions: Bleedred

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Lots of Oilers fans calling for changes to be made at a managerial / coaching level. More fans putting the blame on Chiarelli for wasting away assets.

This sounds like a perfect thread for the oilers board.

deadhorse.gif

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I find Talbot has been overrated. And I was one of the people who were sold on how good he was, but I believe he just had a very good season last year. Overall, Chia has made more bad trades than good.
He wasn’t significantly better last year than the year before? So I don’t think it was a good season, as much as he’s just having a bad season this year. He also had to play a million games last year because Chiarelli signed Gustavsson, who was easily the worst goalie still in the league at that time. That’s something that I ripped Chiarelli on last year, neglecting the backup position. Although Brossoit played well in very limited time.

Talbot wasn’t going to put up the same numbers as a starter as he did as a backup, they almost never do. Darling and Raanta (Talbot was better than both) probably won’t, And even Schneider and Rask leveled out a bit after becoming number one goalie’s, from when they were backup’s/1b goalie’s.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Its very telling that after he left, the Sharks finally broke thru and made the finals.
I don’t think it was all the coaching change, but the guy was massively overrated, even by a couple Sharks fans. Just like I don’t blame him for missing the playoffs in his first year with Edmonton, when McDavid missed literally half the season.

I can’t help but think he’s been a product of strong rosters though rather than the other way around.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
I don’t think it was all the coaching change, but the guy was massively overrated, even by a couple Sharks fans. Just like I don’t blame him for missing the playoffs in his first year with Edmonton, when McDavid missed literally half the season.

I can’t help but think he’s been a product of strong rosters though rather than the other way around.
A top coach can improve his team beyond what it would achieve with its inherent ability. He can make a bad team respectable, a respectable team good, a good team great, a great team almost unbeatable.

Can't think of a single season as HC that Todd accomplished any of those feats.

Reactions: Bleedred and Dan403

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
A top coach can improve his team beyond what it would achieve with its inherent ability. He can make a bad team respectable, a respectable team good, a good team great, a great team almost unbeatable.

Can't think of a single season as HC that Todd accomplished any of those feats.

Exactly. He just got a bunch of hype for being Babcock's assistant, had a solid core his entire team in SJ and all he really did was go 1-8 in the conference finals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad