If the Oilers fire Chia or McLellan, who should replace them?

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
Career suicide!

I can see alot of GMs and Coaches paasing up on this franchise. Especially with the CAP mess they are in.

I cant believe its 2017 and the oilers are still the laughing stock of the NHL
I would agree with you except I think you really discount the McDavid factor. Right now the only people they could be looking at as candidates are not with current NHL teams. I'm pretty sure anyone who doesn't have an NHL job would be more than happy to get a contract with the Oilers. Top that off with the chance to work with a generational talent - I doubt they say no.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I would hold on to Mcllelan but fire Chiarelli asap before he makes any more stupid trades. He loves trading young stars

Reactions: rosenqvist

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Fire Chia. This clown was handed a golden goose and he still ruined it. I think it can still be salvaged, but this season is done. You can't let him make another move. He'll end up trading Puljujarvi for some vetern grit.

Mcdavid, Drai, Puljujarvi, Larrson, Klefbom, Nurse, Yamamoto....there's enough young talent for a short turn around with someone who's not trying to build the broad street bullies

Reactions: rosenqvist

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Estevez did do some great things with the Ducks, and that patented V formation move could shake up the league.

I'm not sure you want to trade your coach until he has something to work with and fails, he squeezed a lot out of this club last year.

Lombardi seems like an obvious choice, he could certainly whip their scouting into shape.

I'd like to see Wayne as their Prez but I have my doubts he would be a good GM. I don't think they are in a position to risk an unproven GM.
I’d prefer coach Riley, to be honest. Banners for days. Win, win, win attitude. Not worth winning if you can’t win big... not afraid to tell someone they aren’t a ‘has been’ they’re a ‘never was’... That sort of honesty might be beneficial right now.

In all seriousness, Gretzky would be in a lose-lose situation as the president. He doesn’t want the headache and he doesn’t want to end up like Joe Sakic and have the public turn on him for poor decisions.

Oilers should poach David Poile from Nashville like the Leafs did with Burke from Anaheim. Pick someone better than Burke, but don’t let their current employment deter you. Money talks.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I’d prefer coach Riley, to be honest. Banners for days. Win, win, win attitude. Not worth winning if you can’t win big... not afraid to tell someone they aren’t a ‘has been’ they’re a ‘never was’... That sort of honesty might be beneficial right now.

In all seriousness, Gretzky would be in a lose-lose situation as the president. He doesn’t want the headache and he doesn’t want to end up like Joe Sakic and have the public turn on him for poor decisions.

Oilers should poach David Poile from Nashville like the Leafs did with Burke from Anaheim. Pick someone better than Burke, but don’t let their current employment deter you. Money talks.

Prez is a bit different than GM. He just hires the front office and handles business decisions. He would not have to answer for bad trades etc and I think he knows who the good and bad GM's are. I think he could do what Shanny has. He might not want the job but apparently he was interested in doing it for us. I have to think the Oilers would appeal to him just as much but you never know.

Neatman

Mar 9, 2011
This is the only correct answer.
I think you could make a compelling argument that Chiarelli is the worst GM the Oilers have had in the last 10 years.
At least the other incompetents were too afraid to make big moves that could jeopardize the future of the team.

hjghkabsdkc

Nov 17, 2017
Fire Chia. This clown was handed a golden goose and he still ruined it. I think it can still be salvaged, but this season is done. You can't let him make another move. He'll end up trading Puljujarvi for some vetern grit.

Mcdavid, Drai, Puljujarvi, Larrson, Klefbom, Nurse, Yamamoto....there's enough young talent for a short turn around with someone who's not trying to build the broad street bullies

Thanks man! Finally someone seeing it like it is. He's a brutal GM and ruined assets. He needs to be fired.

Reactions: Dbrownss

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Chiarelli needs to go ASAP, but if the brass hiring his replacement are still Kevin Lowe, Scott Howson keeps his job and Mac-T is the Assistant GM - then this tire fire will continue.

This is a case of cutting the tail off a worm, instead of cutting the head off a snake.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Either replacement should be selected from a pool that doesn't include Oilers Alumni.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Bob Hartley, maybe Kevin Dineen. I can't believe that jokers like Tocchet, Boughner, Bednar, and Housley have jobs over some of these other guys.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Chiarelli has already made so many brutal moves, he deserves to bite the bullet too.

He traded an elite left winger for an average middle pairing defenseman, he traded Eberle for a an average forward and now they can't even score. He signed an awful defenseman to a 4 years deal at over $4 million per. That's the real plague on his cap right now.

Don't forget Lucic at 6 mill. Chiarelli likes to gamble and it backfired heavily. It did towards the end of his run in Boston and it's in EDM as well.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Don't forget Lucic at 6 mill. Chiarelli likes to gamble and it backfired heavily. It did towards the end of his run in Boston and it's in EDM as well.

Pretty crazy to think he had both Tyler Seguin and Taylor Hall on his rosters, and traded them both

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Pierre said during tonights game that Chiarelli will definitely find a way to turn it around because he is one of the best GM`s in the NHL :help: Chia´s track record is fantastic, atleast Pierre think so.... Im no expert but i certainly dont think Chia is a very good GM. Probably one of the worst GM´s when it comes to trades imo

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Todd McLellan is one of the most overrated coaches in the NHL. He has only ever coached teams with HOF #1 centers that are near the best in the league and never made it anywhere.

I still think the Oilers' struggles are more attributed to random variance than anything else, though. However, Chiarelli has been very bad. He traded Barzal for an asset that has already been liquidated into nothing and waived, he signed Lucic and Russell to awful contracts. He took a team with the best player in the game and another elite first line forward and tried to turn them into the 2011 Boston Bruins.

You have a Malkin/Crosby, Toews/Kane type duo. Why not try to build around them and mold the team after the teams that have 6 of the last 9 Cups, rather than a lucky team that has one of the last 6 (which can be mostly credited to random variance)?

He got bad value on the Larsson and the Eberle trades. The Barzal/Eberle combo that is lighting it up with the Islanders? He traded that away. He had that in his grasp. What did he get for it? Ryan Strome. To elaborate, he traded Barzal, Eberle, and Hall away for Ryan Strome, Adam Larsson, and a guy that they let go of in the expansion draft. Had he not traded away those three players, the Oilers would have quite easily the best top-6 in the NHL. McDavid, Eberle, Barzal, Hall, Draisaitl, and RNH.

Chiarelli traded away Tyler Seguin for scraps as the Boston GM, and he's at it again. I hope he stays with the Oilers forever and ruins McDavid's chance at a Cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad