If the Oilers fire Chia or McLellan, who should replace them?

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
Lots of Oilers fans calling for changes to be made at a managerial / coaching level. More fans putting the blame on Chiarelli for wasting away assets.

If you were in control of the Oilers, who would you replace Chiarelli with? Would you change the coaching staff too? If yes, who would you replace McLellan with?

At this point I'm not really sure who would be good available candidates for either GM or coach right now, so I'm interested to see what people's opinions are. The problem is if the Oilers stay on this path, it's not only likely going to be missing the playoffs, its a huge step in the wrong direction and a waste of McDavid's early productive years. They need to turn the ship, and do so quickly IMO.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
Ideally the GM should go as he is the reason they are in this mess.

However it's unlikely that happens until they actually miss the playoffs so that would be at season's end, though I imagine they will eliminated in end of March. So in the meantime, they need to fire the coach. I don't think it's his fault at all and he doesn't deserve to go, but SOMETHING has to happen because after 20 games they continue to get worst and worst.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Any average coach can probably replace McLellan and you might get an upgrade.

All he does is pace around behind the bench, with a mean look on his face. He had a couple cup caliber teams in San Jose, and they constantly underachieved under him. This guy got his job because he was basically Mike Babcock's lawn guy. So happy that I never have to hear how good of a coach this guy is, as if his teams are a product of him. Until the next time he lucks into a stacked roster.

Doug Wilson should have fired him after the 2014 playoffs, but kept him another year. It wasn't his fault the Sharks missed the playoffs, but he had already lost the team and should have been gone. I've been arguing that he's beyond overrated since 2011 or so.

CanuckGame39

Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
Just MacT and Lowe take the rains again. Just for the lulz.

Kevin Lowe has won alot of Stanley cups he knows a thing or two about winning don't ya know.

I'm personally enjoying every last loss the oilers have had this season. It was a long summer of Oilers fans getting cocky after one season where they had a little success. Can't count how many oilers fans were saying how the Canucks are a joke of a franchise.

Look at the standings now boyos. Look at them! Just LOL

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Chiarelli has already made so many brutal moves, he deserves to bite the bullet too.

He traded an elite left winger for an average middle pairing defenseman, he traded Eberle for a an average forward and now they can't even score. He signed an awful defenseman to a 4 years deal at over $4 million per. That's the real plague on his cap right now.

Reactions: Peanut

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
This is an ideal roster for Sutter. They're big, not particularly fast and I think he could get a lot out of them.
This is a good point. Would be worth a shot. I agree that the GM is the worst problem here, but the coaching has not been good either. Replacing McLellan with Sutter would be an interesting move. The guy at least has a track record of winning.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This is a good point. Would be worth a shot. I agree that the GM is the worst problem here, but the coaching has not been good either. Replacing McLellan with Sutter would be an interesting move. The guy at least has a track record of winning.
McLellan has manned the ship of many a chokejob in San Jose.

He had one of the best rosters in the league and never made it past game 5 of the WCF. His playoff resume there is pretty hilarious. He's also one of 4 (I think it's 4 and not 5?) head coaches to be reverse swept. He's in pretty elite company there.

There were times where I didn't even think he even coached, but that he just had elite rosters and they just played.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad