If the Leafs get swept, what should Shanahan do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Their elite players are getting their first taste of playing playoff hockey against an elite two-way force.

Obviously I didn't expect it to be this much of a tire fire, but holy overraction batman.

The best thing to do would be to stay the course and continue building the team and attempt to address the deficiencies they've had for a while (namely on defense)

Reactions: Nizdizzle

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
The worst thing Toronto can do is overreact to the loss and make panic moves. If you do that, you end up with Hall for Larsson and Panarin for Saad deals to try and "fix" what went wrong.
Yup. Stay the course. They are in great shape. Their best answer on D this season was grabbing a guy from the Marlies.

oilchamp99

Jan 5, 2011
Edmonton
Toronto needs to improve their D regardless of if they lose in 4 or 5/6. Obviously not a Hall for Larsson type trade but teams know TOR would be semi-desperate so probably going to be difficult for Shanahan to get fair value.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Toronto needs to improve their D regardless of if they lose in 4 or 5/6. Obviously not a Hall for Larsson type trade but teams know TOR would be semi-desperate so probably going to be difficult for Shanahan to get fair value.

Good GMs don't get desperate. They wait for the right deal to come along.

That's the difference between the good teams and bad teams. Good teams wait until it's a price they can afford to pay, bad teams jump at the chance immediately regardless of whether it's a price they should pay.

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
Good GMs don't get desperate. They wait for the right deal to come along.

That's the difference between the good teams and bad teams. Good teams wait until it's a price they can afford to pay, bad teams jump at the chance immediately regardless of whether it's a price they should pay.
Edmonton had been in need of a d-man since f***ing Chris Pronger left, so whether or not you agree with the value, there is no way you can say they jumped "immediately". Just ridiculous.

Walkenthewalk

Dec 10, 2008
Not overreact I hope. The Leafs are trending up and should not tinker with the roster too much. First priority should be adding a #2-3 dman, easier said than done.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Edmonton had been in need of a d-man since ****ing Chris Pronger left, so whether or not you agree with the value, there is no way you can say they jumped "immediately". Just ridiculous.

It was still a panic move because they jumped at the first defenseman available who qualified as a "top four defenseman". They also paid a price that they shouldn't have paid.

Getting Larsson somehow = fine
Getting Larsson by trading away a legitimate elite winger = the bad move

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Edmonton had been in need of a d-man since ****ing Chris Pronger left, so whether or not you agree with the value, there is no way you can say they jumped "immediately". Just ridiculous.
They really overpaid though hence why people think they rushed it.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Swept or not, the biggest thing Shanny needs to do, is fix that defence. Which is easier said than done...but it's been abundantly clear to most observers, that the Leafs defence is well short of Cup calibre. Needs at least one more significant (read: Top Pairing capable) piece, if not more.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
He's getting scored on just as much as he is scoring. Is he not a -70 in his career?
You're using +/- to say he needs to go back to being a 3rd-paring D. That's a joke. He had 50 points and his overall defensive stats were very good.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
They need defense and goaltending. So, good luck.
Why do they need a goaltender? They have a guy who was top 10 all year.
Oh my he was bad last game so he's terrible! Trade him!

[TBODY] [/TBODY]

What's wrong with him exactly?

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Why do they need a goaltender? They have a guy who was top 10 all year.
Oh my he was bad last game so he's terrible! Trade him!

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
What's wrong with him exactly?

Regular seasons stats have been fine. Goaltending has been awful for Toronto through the first two games....

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Regular seasons stats have been fine. Goaltending has been awful for Toronto through the first two games....
Again, judging a player on 2 games and giving up on him and saying they now need a new goalie is a little reactionary, no?

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Again, judging a player on 2 games and giving up on him and saying they now need a new goalie is a little reactionary, no?
So,have you seen him play the last 2 months?Not good numbers,but more importantly has not looked confident. Not that great really! And yes, they could very possibly be looking for a new goalie this summer. They should definitely be on the lookout.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
So,have you seen him play the last 2 months?Not good numbers,but more importantly has not looked confident. Not that great really! And yes, they could very possibly be looking for a new goalie this summer. They should definitely be on the lookout.
There is absolutely no chance they will try for another goalie. He is their guy. Top 10 goalie over 82 games.
Ever think maybe he got tired because of the biggest workload in the entire NHL? Maybe Babs just needs to rest him more. No goalie played as much or faced as many shots.
I am continually amazed at how people can just turn on players so fast.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
There is absolutely no chance they will try for another goalie. He is their guy. Top 10 goalie over 82 games.
Ever think maybe he got tired because of the biggest workload in the entire NHL? Maybe Babs just needs to rest him more. No goalie played as much or faced as many shots.
I am continually amazed at how people can just turn on players so fast.
I'm amazed how willing fans are to make excuses for professional athletes! 'workload' 'tired' 'too many shots',sure,lets be gentle with poor Freddy. Oh, and top ten,really,so you haven't checked the last 2 months then? You really should check the numbers on him. Certainly not top ten!

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I'm amazed how willing fans are to make excuses for professional athletes! 'workload' 'tired' 'too many shots',sure,lets be gentle with poor Freddy. Oh, and top ten,really,so you haven't checked the last 2 months then? You really should check the numbers on him. Certainly not top ten!
Top 10 this season. I have checked the numbers. Funny how everyone changes their opinion on 2 games.
And I was stating in January I was worried about his workload, so why would I not say it now? I'd rather not have the starting goalie of my team with the most starts and most shots against.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad